Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is a 2017 DC 4x4 with the gas 5.7. Just hit 5k miles and noticed the Maintenance Required signal came on.

I am in the mountains right now with very limited internet access and wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious. No other codes are showing.

Is this related to the oil change even tho Toyota says to bring it in at 10k for that?

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Time for your 5k service. Its your oil change reminder, apparently a light coming on that says change your oil made way too much sense, rather they made it confusing using a light that to many would mean there's a problem with the engine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
2017 FFV should be every 5k for oil changes. If synthetic 10k should be ok.
They only change the oil every 10k for flex fuel (like you said with synthetic), as I had mine done today and specifically asked that question, as I thought it was every 5k before. They just want you to bring it in every 5k no matter what.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seems it has change or gone back and forth over the years. My 2010 TRD SC was a non FFV and ran Synthetic from the factory. Oil changes were every 10k. My 2014 FFV was every 5k with Synthetic. My 2017 FFV with Mag SC is synthetic and I'm friends with the service manager. It will be getting an oil change every 5k.

·
Registered
587 Posts
They only change the oil every 10k for flex fuel (like you said with synthetic), as I had mine done today and specifically asked that question, as I thought it was every 5k before. They just want you to bring it in every 5k no matter what.
I don't think that's entirely true...I bring my FFV in every 5k and they change the oil every time. I don't ask them to, they just do it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Bottom line is:

Flex Fuel trucks need the oil changed every 5,000 miles, period. Synthetic or non synthetic does not matter.

On 2010 and newer trucks that came with synthetic from the factory, 10,000 is acceptable. (Not all 2010 vehicles came with synthetic)

On any truck not running synthetic, 5,000 is appropriate.

If you're running synthetic on a vehicle that did NOT come with it from the factory, its your choice to decide to change the interval.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Guys, check me on this. FFV engines require "sooner" oil changes (ie: at less miles) than a non-FFV engine.....................if you're running ethanol. Ethanol. Like E85. I know I've seen this discussion before here on the board. And my 2017 5.7L FFV manual says to halve the motor oil change interval IF you're running E85 ethanol.

Uuuuhhhhhhhhhh............YMMV. :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Guys, check me on this. FFV engines require "sooner" oil changes (ie: at less miles) than a non-FFV engine.....................if you're running ethanol. Ethanol. Like E85. I know I've seen this discussion before here on the board. And my 2017 5.7L FFV manual says to halve the motor oil change interval IF you're running E85 ethanol.

Uuuuhhhhhhhhhh............YMMV. :D
Yes but with how many trucks I've heard about overfueling because the alcohol density reading is off, even running regular E10 fuel, I wouldn't risk it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.