Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today my Tundra is getting black leather from the dealer I made them add it part of the deal on close I've had my truck a week and love it. I tried to get him to throw in heated seats and he said it would be $400 extra that's after the close and we already agreed on the leather. So I'm thinking I'm do it myself because today when I dropped it off I almost had him install the heated asked where the buttons would be and I thought about it and was like hell no! He wanted to install the heated buttons on the side of the seat I would be so annoyed if I can't see them or know the setting . So I've been researching and on eBay came across these. I might put them on the dash under screen or the left of steering column. Thoughts and suggestions please feel free to add. I don't like the little round ones I seen guys use and what the dealership adds found these nice square ones.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I used the round switches.
I wanted to use the switches you referred to, but I couldn't see a way to make them work.
I felt I wouldn't be able to see the switches clearly in the 12volt usb panel.
There also are not 2 blanks in that panel, only one.
I didn't want the switches in 2 different places on the dash.
I thought about putting them next to my sub knob on the console, but I felt that was too out of sight.

It wasn't that hard to install, took around 3 hours.
Once you do the first one, the second is easier.
I did disconnect the battery before I pulled the seats out.

I tapped into the console 12v plug for power, that way that would go on/off with the key.

I used 2 of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSHRTNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need a cheap set of hog ring pliers and some hog rings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS0WFAA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this video to do mine.

Another one..

I'm happy where the switches are.
When the switch is on hi, the red light isn't fully visible because of the angle.
I can see it, especially at night, but it isn't as clear as the green light when they are on low.
I would have installed them by the sub knob, but I was afraid the wife would leave her heater on and I wouldn't notice the light on.
I tried to install them near the front cup holder, but with the lines on it the switches would not be flush.
Also I put stuff in that area so the switches would usually be covered up.

Reactions: Kraziez

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much I like your set up I also found this other kind of heated seats with only one switch that controls both maybe a better option for the dash beside steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would rather get the option from Toyota than anything 3rd party from Ebay. Plus it will be under warranty if there is an issue.

I was but for $200 more a seat I could do it myself and have a better look for around $120 they wanted to instal the round buttons on the side of my seat , if I was going to pay $400 more I want it to look like their platinum install under the headunit built in. But that's not a option he said .

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I would rather get the option from Toyota than anything 3rd party from Ebay. Plus it will be under warranty if there is an issue.
Not for $400, when you can do it yourself for $125.

There really isn't much to them as far as warranty 'issues'.

Rostra makes OEM seat heaters.
Chances are they are no different than the parts Toyota would use.

But if you have an extra $300 to piss away, more power to you..

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Thanks so much I like your set up I also found this other kind of heated seats with only one switch that controls both maybe a better option for the dash beside steering wheel
I thought about that one too, thinking I'd put it in the blank of the 12v usb panel.
But when I tried imagining it there, I didn't think I'd see it clearly.
I also thought the 5 different positions would be a pain in the ass.
The 3 position switch, hi/lo/off, works great.

I do like that the switch is illuminated.
You'll have to tap into a dash light wire for that.
But I would have mounted it next to the tow/haul switch and would not be convenient for the passenger/wife.
I put the heaters in the truck seats just for her, and she does love convenience.
It would irritate her to have to reach over to adjust it.
It would irritate me listening to her comment on her displeasure..;)

Here is an installation PDF just so you can see what you're looking at..
It has the instructions for all 3 switch types.

http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1870_Form5261.pdf

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unless it came in the vehicle off the line they are installing the same thing that's on ebay/amazon.

Yeah I think I'm go with the one ditch that controls both with the number dial and locate beside the USB plug in between the lighter plugs I have a black square there for one switch

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yeah I think I'm go with the one ditch that controls both with the number dial and locate beside the USB plug in between the lighter plugs I have a black square there for one switch

i can tell you that there isn't a huge difference in the lowest to highest setting. i used the first set you listed in my wife's s2000. when i tested the controls they basically vary the voltage to the heaters anywhere from 7 to 12 volts to control the temp and it doesn't make a huge difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i can tell you that there isn't a huge difference in the lowest to highest setting. i used the first set you listed in my wife's s2000. when i tested the controls they basically vary the voltage to the heaters anywhere from 7 to 12 volts to control the temp and it doesn't make a huge difference.

The one with a high and low?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.