Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally getting around to posting my build log. I previously owned a 2007 DC Tundra TRD 4x2 4.6L from 2011-2013. Bought the truck in college and though I loved the truck, I knew eventually I really wanted the bigger engine and 4x4. Bought a new car and spent the next 3 years in a luxury sedan woefully regretting everyday selling my truck. I kept telling myself I was just going to wait for the diesel. After a promotion in December of 2016 I decided I was over waiting for a diesel and started looking for my next slightly used 4x4 '14+ Tundra. There is a dealership on the way home from my work so I stopped in one evening to sit in a '17. My dealer in SoCal had TONS of Tundras in stock and they pretty much came off desperate trying to get me in a truck. My budget for a used truck was about 35k, and I ended up getting them down to $36,300 for a 2017 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4 SR5 with the upgrade package (bucket seats, 38 gal tank, etc).

First photo after getting her home.

***BUILD LIST***

-Tundra tailgate letters $24.95
-Bushwacker Fender Flares $200 (Craiglist score! Brand new in box)
-Paint Fender Flares $300 @ Maaco
-Shorty Antenna $15.99
-Storm Trooper Floor Mats $33.38
-Recovery Hitch/D Shackle $34.97
-Hitch Lock $23
-Imperial SW Badges (replaces SR5) $20
-CA Black Vanity Plate (still waiting, as of today its been 14 weeks since I ordered) $40
-Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 305/65/18 $1235 for 5
-Method Roost 18x9 Rims (5) $500 (Craigslist score! 6 hour drive RT)
-SCS Black Lug nuts $50
-Bilstein 6112 Front Coilovers @ Top Setting $549 (Streetside Auto had a great price)
-Bilstein 5160 Rear Shock w/ Resi $320 (Amazon deal)
-SnugTop Rebel Shell $600 (Craiglist score!)
-TRD Pro Grill $150 (Craiglist score!)
-Vinyl Wrap Chrome Delete $100 (shouldve only cost me about $30)
-Locking Matte Black Gas cap $100
-PopLock tailgate Lock actuator $95
-Tailgate BeerPong Liner $60
-Decked Bed System $600 (Used off TundraCrew Facebook Page)
-WaterPort Pressurized water tank $105
-ESP Under seat storage $190
-12.1" Andriod "Tesla Style" Head Unit $550 on Groupbuy
-2018 OEM Headlight Kit w/ Harness $779
-ADD Venom Front Bumper $600 (Craigslist score!)

Most Recent Photos

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had been planning this build in my head for a couple years so within a week of purchasing I had a shorty antenna, tail gate letters, and floor mats on their way from Amazon. These all were low cost "mods" that I was excited to get on right away and feel like I'm actually "doing" something to the truck.

Also went ahead and pulled the trigger on the suspension I wanted. Did quite a bit of research and settled upon the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. I am a bit of a "deal hunter", so after seeing them advertised everywhere as a package for around 1100-1200+, I figured I could find a better price. Streetside Auto had the 6112's for $549 shipped, and Amazon pulled through with the 5160's for $320 shipped.

Next, I needed to find wheels/tires. I had been scouring Craigslist every single day probably 5+ times over 4 cities. Ended up finding 5 Method Roost wheels in perfect condition for $500. It was a 6 hour drive round trip to get them, but totally worth it.

Now I needed tires. Found a set of 5 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Craigslist, and after a significant amount of haggling, got the set for $435 for all 5. Stoked on having a full size spare

One mod I was excited to do was Chrome delete on the bumper corners. Now, I had been researching on here about different vinyl and saw someone mention "TCT Wraps" and they sell a kit for a bit over $100. Not sure what I was expecting out of this kit, but lets just say they literally just send you 4 squares for 3M vinyl. That's it. I couldve spent $30 on Amazon for the EXACT same thing. Needless to say, do not waste your money with TCT Wraps.

Now if youre doing this yourself, go slow and do it with a friend. I watched about 10 youtube videos to get the technique down. Bought a sqeegee off Amazon ($2) and a heat gun ($20). Wrapped them while still on the truck. Took me and a friend a little over an hour to do the rear. Ran out of time that day and still have not completed the front.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the original plan, I was going to install my suspension myself, but January in SoCal was raining pretty much every weekend so that got put on hold for a few weeks. Much to my surprise, I was able to get my wheel/tire setup in with essentially no trimming or anything

Here she is with no lift, wheels and tires installed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next came suspension. I had every intention of doing it myself, but with weekend plans filling up over and over and trying to time it with the rain, I ended up calling my long-time mechanic and he gave a great quote, doing all 4 corners for $250. Figured my time is worth much more than dealing with that all day and took the truck in.

Half a day later and a alignment locked in, she was done. The 6112's are at the top setting. Only suspension work so far in the rear has been the shocks. I plan on doing either CB shackles or an add-leaf package in the future, but I first want to get my shell and decked bed system installed to see what kind of sag I will be dealing with when loaded up.

Photos after suspension and fender flares got installed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next addition to the truck is by far my favorite. Since day 1 that I bought this truck, I have been looking for a 14+ CM shell in white. Every day, 4-5 times a day I was checking Craigslist. I had bookmarks on my phone for all surrounding cities and constantly scanning, trying to pickup a shell. I know my luck, and if I were to go buy one new, a used one would pop-up on CL for like $500 the next day. After 3+ months of waiting I was about fed up. I had recently received a bonus at work on a Friday and had every intention of ordering an ARE Z Series the following Monday. Lucky for me, a used SnugTop Rebel popped up on CL about 150 miles away for $600. Emailed the guy right away and said i'd be there the next morning.

Only accessory the shell came with was a headliner and dome light. I plan on installing a Pro Lock that is power and locks with my Toyota FOB, and removing the fold down window and installing a rubber boot so I can use the power rear window and access the bed from the back seat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Next addition to the truck is by far my favorite. Since day 1 that I bought this truck, I have been looking for a 14+ CM shell in white. Every day, 4-5 times a day I was checking Craigslist. I had bookmarks on my phone for all surrounding cities and constantly scanning, trying to pickup a shell. I know my luck, and if I were to go buy one new, a used one would pop-up on CL for like $500 the next day. After 3+ months of waiting I was about fed up. I had recently received a bonus at work on a Friday and had every intention of ordering an ARE Z Series the following Monday. Lucky for me, a used SnugTop Rebel popped up on CL about 150 miles away for $600. Emailed the guy right away and said i'd be there the next morning.
This is funny. I did the same thing for about 2 months and then just bought a new one. I saw several during that 6mo period but they were 1k+ miles away and that wasnt worth it for me. Then after buying mine Ive seen 2 or 3 in my area color matched and everything. The snugtops are the best though! And I havent even gotten around to wiring up the prolock..

I suggest the toytec shackles, they're quite a bit cheaper than CB and allow for more room to fit a 35" tire underneath.

Nice build!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Love trucks with toppers and love the roosts. I debated getting those as well. One of the only methods that are hub centric for our trundras

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is the same wheel I've been running for two years on my taco, and am buying a set of the 18x9s for the new Tundra I'm picking up next week. Searched up truck/wheel/tire size I'm looking at & found your thread. I've also ordered the 6112s, but am planing to run the 3rd setting. Is your truck stock height in the rear? Do you have any rub with your set up? Looks good...are your flares flush, and do you know which BW flares those are, or how far they reach out?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
New additions. Switched out the Nitto Trail Grapplers for Falken Wildpeak At3w in 305/65/18. Great tires! Much quieter and do really well on and off road

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next I installed the ESP under seat storage. Great for the extra tools/safety equipment that doesnt fit in the Decked system

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NEXT UP!

-CB +3 shackles.. got a used set for $160, just need to install

-2018 LED headlights, just need to order the custom harness

-Tow mirrors

-rubber boot for shell and Snugtop ProLock that unlocks with my OEM key fob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the same wheel I've been running for two years on my taco, and am buying a set of the 18x9s for the new Tundra I'm picking up next week. Searched up truck/wheel/tire size I'm looking at & found your thread. I've also ordered the 6112s, but am planing to run the 3rd setting. Is your truck stock height in the rear? Do you have any rub with your set up? Looks good...are your flares flush, and do you know which BW flares those are, or how far they reach out?
Sorry for the late reply.

I have the 5160's in the rear right now which are stock height, but my +3 shackles go on next week. That will help the sag I have from the shell and decked system (~300lbs without gear in the bed).

I had minimal rub up front, and just trimmed the fender liner a bit. No rub at full lock.

Here is a link for my flares- LINK

They reach out about 2". My 305's at +18 offset are about perfectly flush with them

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New stereo! 12.1" Andriod "Tesla Style" Head Unit. Thing is pretty awesome! Still figuring out settings and it's capabilities, but is sounds and works great so far.

I also hooked up a front camera I got off Amazon to it to help with tight parking spots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you have any updated pics with the shackles? I am doing a similar setup and am wondering how it looks. Wheel poke, any rear rake etc... Suspension gets installed on the 20th and I'm on the fence between 1.5 Toytec shackle or Icon aal.

Thanks

Sent from my nugget.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have any updated pics with the shackles? I am doing a similar setup and am wondering how it looks. Wheel poke, any rear rake etc... Suspension gets installed on the 20th and I'm on the fence between 1.5 Toytec shackle or Icon aal.

Thanks

Sent from my nugget.
...late reply. Should have some next week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts