Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , its my first Tundra and first brand new truck ever.
I ve had 4Runners and a Tacoma before, and then went to the Ford F150 for a few years.
My plans are

Bed liner ( going on Monday next week)
Seat covers ( ASAP)
Lift - Bilstein adjustable 5100s in front , 5100s in the rear, Toytec shackles in the rear , diff drop kit.
Wheels and tires ares till up in the air. I would like to run some 33" or 34" on 18x9 rims, but its not 100% yet.
I may keep the stock rims but upgrade the tires.
any input is welcome
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting rid of all the chrome is a must for me. What did you do to cover yours up? All I read about is how bad it is to try and paint over it because it will never work...
Like all things , the details are in the prep work. My dad scuffed the plastic grill and hood piece with some 3M scuff pads and then applied some adhesion promoter from POR15 .
The bumper end caps had the cheapest chrome on them from Toyota. it was so thin in spots it was already flaking off around the bolt holes, and this truck only has 6000 miles on it.
So we went over the metal with some 150 grit sand paper and then sprayed epoxy coat over them , then a few coats of black , then a few coats of clear.
The hardest part of the whole damn job was getting the rear bumper cover off. that took about an hour with my son and i working from all angles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Truck is looking good. Love the TRD wheels on black trucks, currently shopping for some of my own to step down from 20's on the Platinum.

Keep us updated on what tire size you run with that setup, 34's should fit with minor adjustments to skid/mudflaps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here on the TRD wheels and black truck. I plan on going with a set of 285/75s next year. I've also got the 5100s up front via Fat Bob's adjustable coilovers and a pair of 5100s and Firestone air bags in the rear. I've got to get a pair of rear shackles though, the Fat Bob coilovers brought the front up 2.75" and I've got to run about 30psi in the air bags to level it. The shackles should help me reduce the air bag pressure so the back isn't so damn stiff. The back feels like a pogo stick when I hit a speed bump.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the trigger on the rear shackles and 5100s. They should be here this week.
I am looking at some 295/70/R18 TOYO Open Country AT2 Extremes.
Depending on how they fit and or rub, spider traxx spacers would be next.
The stock TRD wheels look pretty damn good on there , just want to widen the stance a bit.
I might be putting a truck box in the bed soon , too.
I will get some more pics up when tires are on or lift is done , whichever come first!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truck is looking good. Love the TRD wheels on black trucks, currently shopping for some of my own to step down from 20's on the Platinum.

Keep us updated on what tire size you run with that setup, 34's should fit with minor adjustments to skid/mudflaps.
Craigs list up here is clogged with stock TRD rims . Some with brand new tires , too.
Most are selling for way too much though ($1100 and up) , but I do see a full set of rims no tires for around $500 every now and then

·
Registered
66 Posts
Craigs list up here is clogged with stock TRD rims . Some with brand new tires , too.
Most are selling for way too much though ($1100 and up) , but I do see a full set of rims no tires for around $500 every now and then
Very good to know, thanks for the info and pricing points. They're flying off the used market down here, but I would have had some if I weren't gun shy earlier in the process. Now knowing I can fit the 295/70/18 with 6112/5160's I won't miss another $500 mark.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good idea.
I eve thought about picking up another full set of rims to keep just in case i curb rash a rim or for a matching full size spare

I'm on the lookout for another set of rims (preferably to match my stock ones) for my set of studded ice/snow tires. If you see a set for a decent price, shoot me a txt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the Open Country AT2 extremes on
295/70/18. They are HEAVY! Truck definitely has some sluggishness , but it's tolerable. I did notice when I was in the shop , my 5100s are not set at the top setting. Looks like there is still one rung for adjustment. I called the LES Schwabs that installed them and let them know. Now I have to go back and have them set them to the top , but that won't be for a week.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts