Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 2017 SnugTop Rebel camper shell on my 2017 Tundra DC with the 6.5 ft bed for a couple of months now.

Well, this is interesting. The bolts and clamps that hold the shell to the bed are not locked in place by anything. No nuts.

After the first month, I could see that the shell had shifted slightly and I found that most of the bolts had backed out slightly. I aligned the shell and tightened the bolts and the. tried to add some nuts so that the bolts would stay locked down and found out that because of the way the shell is constructed, there's literally only a tiny amount of room between the frame of the shell and the bolt so there isn't any way to add any nuts, just not enough room for a socket or wrench.

I emailed SnugTop about this and didn't get a response. Thought that was a bit odd since I emailed them about a different issue and got a very prompt response.

So my shell is loose again. The good thing about the Rebel shell is that there is a lot of clearance between the shell and the body of my truck so even if the shell shifts a bit, I don't think there will be any rubbing issues.

But still very nervous about having a big and heavy shell on my truck that isn't entirely locked into place.

Hmm. Just kind of odd and a bit funny since the instructions that came with my shell specified that the bolts were supposed to locked down with a double set of nuts!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Ooooh! Those are strange!!!

Two thoughts:
1. Get some longer bolts so you can put a lock nut below the clamp.
2. Get different clamps. Check out a company called Tite-Lok. They make all different sizes and are sold by most cap dealers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Longer bolts are not a viable solution because of the SnugTop frame/foundation design. Appreciate the ideas tho.

Anyone else have a SnugTop on their 2014-2017 Tundra?

Might just have to be a little more persistent in my efforts to reach SnugTop CS to talk more about this. This is my second SnugTop shell, had the first one for 9 years on a 2002 Tundra and was very happy with it. Zero problems at all. This newer one has been totally great too. Paint isn't very thick, it chips really easy but structurally everything else's been great! Just need to get this clamp situation figured out. Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is it.
Ive got the Snugtop XV. My mounting hardware looks exactly the same except there's an extra nut and lock washer that allows the bolt to lock in place. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow, but it looks like your installer missed the nuts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thodhye, I tried adding the nuts myself but the way the shell is designed, there isn't enough spacs between the frame at the bottom of the shell and the bolts for a socket or wrench. It would be easier to post a picture of this but I am way out in the boonies and I'm not sure my internet connection's strong enough to download a pix.

Btw, if you're OCD about your truck don't travel in the NW. Pretty impossible to keep your truck clean around here. It literally gets as dirty as it was within 24 hours of being washed....

Starting to notice several new paint chips on my SnugTop. Paint quality is very disappointing. No structural or hardware issues but the paint is very thin and definitely subpar. Will have to contact SnugTop about this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thodhye, I tried adding the nuts myself but the way the shell is designed, there isn't enough spacs between the frame at the bottom of the shell and the bolts for a socket or wrench. It would be easier to post a picture of this but I am way out in the boonies and I'm not sure my internet connection's strong enough to download a pix.

Btw, if you're OCD about your truck don't travel in the NW. Pretty impossible to keep your truck clean around here. It literally gets as dirty as it was within 24 hours of being washed....

Starting to notice several new paint chips on my SnugTop. Paint quality is very disappointing. No structural or hardware issues but the paint is very thin and definitely subpar. Will have to contact SnugTop about this.
I know this is old, but did you get it resolved?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts