Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Limited. Temps dropped from 36 to 28. No dash warning about possible ice conditions. Prior years had it....it is still in the manual! WTF! The cost cutting in this truck is insane. Come on, it is a safety feature! How much can it cost? It is a few lines of software code!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do the 16's have it? I haven't seen it on my truck yet, but I'm not positive if I've driven it in below freezing temps yet, I thought I did, but I'll know for sure this week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? you stare at that tiny little readout in the bottom right corner the entire time you are driving? It is not like prior years where the display is large and prominent. I'm usually looking at the road....

·
Registered
304 Posts
My temp readout is very prominent in my '13. I don't stare at it. In reality, I don't depend on a machine to make judgement calls for me. If it is cold and weather is nasty - I drive accordingly.

You are complaining because your truck isn't telling you that there "might" be ice. Good grief. Talk about a 1st world problem.

I am not certain, but I am guessing that your truck would do that by observing the temperature and lighting up some led to let the driver know. But guess what? Your brain has the ability to do the same thing! It can process the fact that cold temps = possibility of ice. Try it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you obviously don't live in an area where black ice is an issue. Probably not the best person to contribute to this thread.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Obviously. I only grew up in the north central Mountains of Colorado and currently live in the northern Mountains of New Mexico at 7500 ft in elevation.

Quityerbitchin.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
you obviously don't live in an area where black ice is an issue. Probably not the best person to contribute to this thread.
Black ice, that's racist...:eek:

The point being made is any color of ice will not occur until freezing temps.

Doesn't your 2017 have the temp on the dash at all times?
Use that and think for yourself when it is reading 35 or below and there is participation on the road, there might be ice.
Instead of blaming ice on your Tundra, use what common sense you might have.

Are you the kind that needs sensors all over your truck because you can't think to check your blind spots before you change lanes.:crying:

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
And just in case you're not aware, bridges and overpasses may freeze before the road does.
That includes UNDER bridges and overpasses...

You might have missed those signs searching for your freeze warning idiot light..

Be safe..:x

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thats cool to know that feature. For me, i look at weather.com from my phone app in the mornings when i get ready and see what the temp is before heading out and if i need to layer up or not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No real need to jump all over the OP but that said, I grew up in the northeast and have never had a need for a freezing weather light, LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Black ice, that's racist...:eek:

The point being made is any color of ice will not occur until freezing temps.

Doesn't your 2017 have the temp on the dash at all times?
Use that and think for yourself when it is reading 35 or below and there is participation on the road, there might be ice.
Instead of blaming ice on your Tundra, use what common sense you might have.
Are you the kind that needs sensors all over your truck because you can't think to check your blind spots before you change lanes.:crying:
Yep that participation on the roads is definitely dangerous.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I know my 2014 doesn't have that but I do glance at the temp on the dash when I am driving just to see what it's like outside temp wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2017 Limited. Temps dropped from 36 to 28. No dash warning about possible ice conditions. Prior years had it....it is still in the manual! WTF! The cost cutting in this truck is insane. Come on, it is a safety feature! How much can it cost? It is a few lines of software code!
Maybe you should sell the Tundra and get a truck from one of the Big Three as I am SURE they would have that feature! :p

Aren't the Big Three the kings of all things gee wiz bang techno! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, just enjoy your truck for what it is... Rock solid proven reliability with not much gee wiz bang stuff!

...Glenn :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your argument is that the temp readout is too small and you focus on the road. Yet you complain about a small dummy light telling you it might be freezing out.

I live in Missouri, we have black ice and freezing temps. I know when it's cold enough that I don't want to go outside without a jacket, it might be freezing temps. I don't need a light to tell me it's below 32 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lame

1 - 20 of 57 Posts