Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In January we traded in our Honda Odyssey for a Tundra CrewMax, as I thought it had more than enough room for three kids in car seats (it does). Since our last has moved from car seat to booster, we have an issue. The middle buckle design is horrible. It's really short, does not move much, and is not able to be extended out at all. So it sits right behind/under the booster seat. Getting the kids in and out is now a PITA because I have to climb in and push the seat over to expose the buckle, while pulling the belt out and then down to buckle in, then move the seat back. The outside buckles have the same issue but Seatbelt Extender Pros make extenders for them, which we got. However they do not make extenders for the middle buckle.

I really need some suggestions on figuring this out. I'm at the point of paying a several thousand dollar "stupid tax" and getting something else. The interior forum section doesn't get near as much love, so posting in general to get more eyes.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Curious, what's the difference between the middle and side position seat belt extenders? Aren't they just a section of seat belt with a clip on one end and a buckle on the other? Have you tried contacting Toyota?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not sure if I'm understanding. Can you post some pics?
Sure thing!

I should have posted it in the top. So yea, the buckle for the middle seat is a pain to get to. I have to climb up into the truck and push the seat over, then pull the belt and still fight to get it buckled, then pull the seat back over. This isn't going to work long term.

Curious, what's the difference between the middle and side position seat belt extenders? Aren't they just a section of seat belt with a clip on one end and a buckle on the other? Have you tried contacting Toyota?
No, the middle buckle has nibs or something on the male part. It's a different design and I already tried the side extenders for it and they are not compatible.

As for contacting Toyota, I haven't yet but I will as a last resort before I get rid of it. I did research and found that Toyota/Dealers will create custom extenders for people who need it (essentially due to being large) but not for car seat fitment. That's just what I found on a dealer site, but I guess I will call them anyways.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I get it now.

Here’s the middle seat belt buckle:

and this is the window seat belt buckle:

I was going to suggest getting a seat belt extender and using a Dremmel or grinder to cut out a notch in the bottom. But I don’t think that will do what you need either because I think (but could be wrong) that it’s the small nuns at the top that actually get the device to latch/lock.

The other ideas that come to mind:
- replace the seat belt receiver with a longer one. It’s just one bolt to remove it, lift the seats up and you can remove it.
- use a booster seat that has its own harness / seat belt. So the booster would be permanently belted in like the child seats and then it would have its own built in seat belt or harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you look at the mount on the floor it is just bolted down. You could just move the mount up higher if you’re not afraid to drill a hole and use a grade 8 bolt. I did this on mine with the middle seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you look at the mount on the floor it is just bolted down. You could just move the mount up higher if you’re not afraid to drill a hole and use a grade 8 bolt. I did this on mine with the middle seat.
Interesting! I will take a look at mine to see what you are saying. Can you provide more details on the bolt, and post a pic of what your end result?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.