Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the TRD Intake, mostly for the sound, plus it looks cool. This system is really very well made. The stock intake has that resonance chamber that muffles the noise, and a charcoal mesh filter in addition to the paper air filter. You change out everything between the throttle body to the base of the stock air box, keeping the original MAF Sensor, and also replacing the air horn that goes into the fender with a slightly larger shorter design. It was a very easy install and took about an hour.

TRD Intake sounds so much better, especially after removing it's mesh screen in the new TRD air box top, and installing the oiled air filter that comes with it. Wide open you really hear the motor. Cruising you can't really tell much difference. I'm sure there are HP gains but a dyno run comparing the two is really the only way to know.

The day after this was installed I got 19 MPG round trip to work and back which was a surprise. Best MPG yet on my three week old truck. Before the highest was 17. Actually achieved 23 mpg for 20 miles @63 Mph on mostly level ground stopping three times.

You could achieve similar results with the TRD Air Filter Element and removing the Screen in the Top of the stock air box. It wouldn't sound as good with the resonance chamber still there and a PCV hose connects to that chamber so blocking it off is not a very good option.

At $382.50 +Tax at your dealer with a 10% off parts coupon it is a pretty expensive upgrade for maybe 10 HP... But it sounds so good. Quality is top notch too. So far I'm very satisfied with the change.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Glad you like it. Definitely looks good under the hood for sure.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You could have accomplished the same thing for roughly 40ish dollars by doing the stock airbox mod as our intakes are cold air anyways. or just removed the charcoal mesh and drop in the TRD filter.

$380 for 8hp at 5600rpm is alot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts