Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
where did you get your signal for the sub from?
So they said that they were just using the signal going to the factory sub with the JBL system. I saw two wires cut I believe because they used that wife to signal the sub. They obviously ran power wire and that controller line as well. I'll take a few pics of the factory sub when I get home. I'll weigh it too, it's so light I didn't even know if that sub has a magnet bigger then a quarter!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I mounted my sub control and amp in the same place. Sub knob is perfect, I don't even have to move my arm. The amp placement not so much. Someone got in my back seat wet coming from the lake and dripped directly down on the amp between the seats shorting it out.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
each source has its own volume and audio settings....so switching from xm to radio will sound different, but i agree it is lacking. seems like adding amplifiers and different speakers/subs is the fix.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
each source has its own volume and audio settings....so switching from xm to radio will sound different, but i agree it is lacking. seems like adding amplifiers and different speakers/subs is the fix.
head unit is the key also

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm sure this is true...but some have said they've gotten good results without changing HU. i would have a hard time as i like to keep any/all functionality that comes with a vehicle and generally i like to keep the stock appearance as well.

edit - especially something brand new under factory warranty :)

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
So they said that they were just using the signal going to the factory sub with the JBL system. I saw two wires cut I believe because they used that wife to signal the sub. They obviously ran power wire and that controller line as well. I'll take a few pics of the factory sub when I get home. I'll weigh it too, it's so light I didn't even know if that sub has a magnet bigger then a quarter!!!
The Arc Audio Xdi series amps have high level input capability. So they just used the factory signal. No LOC necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems like a lot of newer amps come with the speaker level/line level switches now. The JL audio RD series comes with this. I altered from typical install by using a pair of 6x9 coax in front doors. This makes up for a lot of bass missing in the 6.5s. Granted this setup is not for the hard core bass guys but its quite sufficient for me. This eliminates the need for a sub and extra amp in some cases.
The system is a lot more affordable without the need of a LOC, Sub, or extra amp. To add to the affordable part I was able to grind out the existing speakers and use the existing mounts. AS an added bonus I did not have to worry about depth offsets because they are the existing mounts. Now to take it a step further for non jbl units I did not need to worry about a tweeter mount or crossover mounts since they are coax. It almost takes all the fun out of the install. =)

The install is a lot quicker in the doors and sounds great.

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
It seems like a lot of newer amps come with the signal level/line level switches now. The JL audio RD series comes with this. I altered from typical install by using a pair of 6x9 coax in front doors. This makes up for a lot of bass missing in the 6.5s. Granted this setup is not for the hard core bass guys but its quite sufficient for me. This eliminates the need for a sub and extra amp in some cases.
The system is a lot more affordable without the need of a LOC, Sub, or extra amp. To add to the affordable part I was able to grind out the existing speakers and use the existing mounts. AS an added bonus I did not have to worry about depth offsets because they are the existing mounts. Now to take it a step further for non jbl units I did not need to worry about a tweeter mount or crossover mounts since they are coax. It almost takes all the fun out of the install. =)

The install is a lot quicker in the doors and sounds great.

A lot of amps used to come with high level inputs way ago. Like 20 years ago even.

Then it went away sort of.

The JL HD series I used in my 2010 had line level inputs, but was through rca connectors instead of wire connectors.

I never tried it, as I had a package including a JL Cleansweep unit.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
So let?s talk turkey here...What am I looking at spending if I want one of the best upgrades to my truck?
SQ1 is $2200? Too rich for my blood. I think the JBL sounds pretty good. Wonder if it?s worth the money for the cheaper packages. Anyone get the Taco Tunes system 1B for the 14+ CM?
It's definitely worth the money though (assuming your install the components yourself). If you tried to source similar components separately, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

I also spent quite a bit of time ripping apart my interior and applying sound matting (200% more sound matting than included with the SQ1 kit - I bought three packages of it to do the entire interior because the package deal from Taco Tunes only comes with one to do the rear wall and the door panels). I'm a self-described audiophile and I really love my SQ1 setup. Here are a few pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
It's definitely worth the money though (assuming your install the components yourself). If you tried to source similar components separately, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

I also spent quite a bit of time ripping apart my interior and applying sound matting (200% more sound matting than included with the SQ1 kit - I bought three packages of it to do the entire interior because the package deal from Taco Tunes only comes with one to do the rear wall and the door panels). I'm a self-described audiophile and I really love my SQ1 setup. Here are a few pics...
I just did the 1B in my Tundra. I only matted the doors and rear. Will matting the floor make a big difference? I also added FAST rings to my mids. I was really impressed how clear and loud the system is. I may add the the EZ Curve later on. I was going to try an get appointment to see how much better is sounds with the sound processor.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I just did the 1B in my Tundra. I only matted the doors and rear. Will matting the floor make a big difference? I also added FAST rings to my mids. I was really impressed how clear and loud the system is. I may add the the EZ Curve later on. I may try an get appointment to see how much better is sounds with the sound processor.
Matting the floors makes a big difference. A lot of the road noise comes through there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like they haven't changed a thing for the 2018 model. I test drove one today and I had to try out their JBL system... TERRIBLE. Looks like I will be going aftermarket as well

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like they haven't changed a thing for the 2018 model. I test drove one today and I had to try out their JBL system... TERRIBLE. Looks like I will be going aftermarket as well
I was hopeful that they had made some improvements... And possibly that amp/dsp could be passed backwards. I wonder if the part numbers are the same?

·
Registered
317 Posts
For my 2018 with the JBL sound, I was disappointed at first. However, after adjusting the eq settings on the HU, and setting the bass to max, the Mid and High somewhere around +1 to +3 then I was much more pleased with the sound quality. Mostly I just listen to Pandora or the radio. The sound doesn't blow me away, but it was better and I can be fine with it and don't need to upgrade the audio for now.
Then this last weekend, I discovered the best way to improve the sound in my 2018.... download music from iTunes. I bought an album and was listening to it and found the sound is much better when playing songs I bought from iTunes. I was really surprised at the quality difference. I'll have to get some more albums from iTunes because I think it sounds great now.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
For my 2018 with the JBL sound, I was disappointed at first. However, after adjusting the eq settings on the HU, and setting the bass to max, the Mid and High somewhere around +1 to +3 then I was much more pleased with the sound quality. Mostly I just listen to Pandora or the radio. The sound doesn't blow me away, but it was better and I can be fine with it and don't need to upgrade the audio for now.
Then this last weekend, I discovered the best way to improve the sound in my 2018.... download music from iTunes. I bought an album and was listening to it and found the sound is much better when playing songs I bought from iTunes. I was really surprised at the quality difference. I'll have to get some more albums from iTunes because I think it sounds great now.
thats the because the bit rate from pandora is pathetic. sound quality is awful.

you got a little better quality when you downloaded the song.

also, if you want to stream with good quality, try Spotify premium they rip from lossless and stream at 320 kbps

I don't know how you have the bass all the way up on the stock system, if I did that my doors would rattle like no tomorrow while there is still no bass out of the sub.

that doesn't matter anyway as my entire stock system was ripped out, thank god, it was awful

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
thats the because the bit rate from pandora is pathetic. sound quality is awful.

you got a little better quality when you downloaded the song.

also, if you want to stream with good quality, try Spotify premium they rip from lossless and stream at 320 kbps

I don't know how you have the bass all the way up on the stock system, if I did that my doors would rattle like no tomorrow while there is still no bass out of the sub.

that doesn't matter anyway as my entire stock system was ripped out, thank god, it was awful
That's what I was thinking when I saw that while lying in bed last night.

I had to up the treble almost to the max, mid at +1-2, and bass at neg 3-4 just to stop the doors from rattling and being over driven, and still being able to hear anything.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
That's what I was thinking when I saw that while lying in bed last night.

I had to up the treble almost to the max, mid at +1-2, and bass at neg 3-4 just to stop the doors from rattling and being over driven, and still being able to hear anything.
ya I don't miss any of that

when Toyota does redo the entire tundra, they better for damn sure nuke this entire set up and start over.

until then, Pioneer, JL, Focal

Rock on

61 - 80 of 96 Posts