Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have spent the last two days reading, testing, trying things, looking up old posts, all for my $50K 2016 1794 Edition, with JBL audio.
And I have come to the conclusion that Toyota, JBL, someone has completely jacked up this system. My 2007 Limited with JBL (now 9 years old) sounds great compared to this. A 2012 neighbor's truck with JBL sounds AWESOME compared to this.

I listen to some country, some rap, 70s rock, some talk radio, and even blues and jazz. It's the RARE occasion I find a song on that sounds ok. Steve Wonder Superstition? Forget about it. So who has fixed it? Below are the versions of the software as shown in the head unit... anyone see any good results with newer software?

Audio: 010171
Audio System: 000095
Dsp Module: A10010
Sub: 010001
Can: 130209

If you have fixed this, how have you fixed it? I'm a handy guy but not an audio tuner. I just want clear sound with good bass, mids and highs. I dont need to boom the street so I cant put 2K+ in audio components in and spend 2 days getting it right etc etc.

Short of taking a BRAND NEW TRUCK in for a completely new custom audio system, what has everyone done?

OEM Audio Plus kit? - Results (please state if you were sponsored, got it free or not)

A simple DSP/Amp swap? I can really only real with a simple wiring harness, I dont want to get into cutting stuff and dealing with wiring diagrams

New speakers, amp?

I am at my wits end. For sure when I get in a 2008 Mazda CX with their factory premium audio and it blows this CRAP away...

I would love a Toyota fix, but am willing to spend a little money and do a little work. But I dont want to drop 2k and leave my truck in a shop for several days then loose my steering wheel controls, phone mic, etc, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Many people feel the exact same way, either JBL or Toyota jacked this up in the new trucks, my 2010 limited was fine for a OEM stereo.

Whomever tuned so much bass in the door speakers and so little out of the sub and so an under powered amp is really clueless about audio and sound imaging

I am looking at a tundra now and my test drive it's this new JBL was a joke it's really bad. Almost like something is defective, you turn it up at all and the doors just rattle and it sounds like ass.

I wonder if the amp can just be swapped and gain adjustments could make it a little less annoying.

I have been out of the aftermarket gig for a long time but looks like something will have to be done

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try playing some 320kbps audio. My 2016's JBL sounds amazing - clean tones and definitely some decent bass when you turn it up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try playing some 320kbps audio. My 2016's JBL sounds amazing - clean tones and definitely some decent bass when you turn it up.
This is not a problem of digital music. This can come from an iPod, XM, FM, etc. If you have a 2016 JBL can you show the software versions from the head unit under settings?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2014 1794 JBL is one of the worst sounding car stereos I've every heard, and Ive had some pretty rough cars in my younger years. My factory Nissan Xterra rockford fosgate 9 speaker system completely demolishes the tundras. Even the basic system in my 2016 4runner sounds quite a bit better.

Its not the speakers' fault, its the amp, and tuning (i think).

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I was starting to think my 2010's JBL system was weak, can't imagine it worse....

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I was starting to think my 2010's JBL system was weak, can't imagine it worse....
I had the JBL in my 2010 limited DC. I tested out the 2016 top JBL.

it's a lot worse, they jacked up the power of the system and the tuning.

seems to me that if some bass could be removed from the front doors and put back into the sub it would solve most of the issues for guys who don't want to aftermarket system in a bigger way

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the JBL in my 2010 limited DC. I tested out the 2016 top JBL.

it's a lot worse, they jacked up the power of the system and the tuning.

seems to me that if some bass could be removed from the front doors and put back into the sub it would solve most of the issues for guys who don't want to aftermarket system in a bigger way
Would that be as simple as installing some bass blockers on the front speakers?

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Would that be as simple as installing some bass blockers on the front speakers?
it's been so long since I have looked at this stuff or had an aftermarket system I didn't even know if they still made bass caps or not, LOL.

from what I remember it was a little undesirable to use them but I think it could be a cheap way to stop the doors from rattling anyway.

from what I heard, it seems like they are trying to push 80hz and below through the doors instead of the sub and that is messing everything up

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I thought something was wrong with my new truck at first it's so bad. I am in for a fix/improvement.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
that's something on the fader all the way up front and right

intresting

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Interesting.... I (like many people here installed a JBL MS8, a sub from Tech12 volts and a pair of components and am still trying to get my setting right. It just seems to bright up front. And to boomy but I need to play with the settings of the MS8 more. Thankfully you can change quite a bit with a nice processor.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I tried Vectors settings and I have to say it made a big difference, it went from piss poor god awful to tolerable.

really odd why fading almost all the way up front changes it, also you just can't go up on the bass with how they have all the bass out the doors, but with his settings, it's decent

I still wish there was an easy solution to just get a tad more power and shift the bass to the sub and out of the doors without taking apart half the truck and running power wires.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I was sceptical on your settings in the linked post but I have to admit that I set mine to your almost exact fade/balance/EQ and it honestly sounds the best I have experienced so far in my truck. Thanks for the help.
agreed, his settings made it at least tolerable for a while...

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad to help

Hi Guys,

I am glad that my thread at least gets you to the point where you can tolerate the stock system. I plan on tackling a large install in my truck eventually. I want to finish a couple of other mods first, Wheels and tires are my next big purchase. That is preventing the audio upgrades. I will be keeping the stock head unit and adding a few amplifiers and component speakers of my liking and do it all in a custom install. But for now that is all I have for anyone trying to eek a little more sound quality out of this GOD FORSAKEN JBL system. ;)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I finally had it with the crappy JBL! Today I got the new Pioneer NEX 8200, Phoenix Gold Amp, Door Speakers, 2 X 10" Phoenix Gold Subs, and added a butt load of dynamat to make it even better! I now love my stereo. Really liking the Pioneer with Apple Car Play. What to do with the old head unit and amp?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts