Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I saw your post about the Curt option and misunderstood; thought you had “found a deal” so to speak.
The update changed my brake controller from scary worthless to functional, I don’t see why it would be different with your truck. Good luck! I’ve towed a travel trailer at least a couple thousand miles since the update with zero issue.
np! What size travel trailer? Mine is the Lance 1995, dry weight 4100 with dual axle. Being that I have 4 brakes behind me, I would hope the update helps. But like I said, not holding my breathe. The camper place showed me the Curt on Friday when checking out, and said Curt just came out at the end of 2018 I think, and people really like them a lot. They were asking about $250 for it (camper store retail). Online looks like the run about $50 less. I haven't had time to research them yet, but seems to be the new big thing. Its wireless and your phone controls the settings. Worth considering since I need an extra 2-3 inches with the Tundra. That connector is so high that I had to get an extension for my boat too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
np! What size travel trailer? Mine is the Lance 1995, dry weight 4100 with dual axle. Being that I have 4 brakes behind me, I would hope the update helps. But like I said, not holding my breathe. The camper place showed me the Curt on Friday when checking out, and said Curt just came out at the end of 2018 I think, and people really like them a lot. They were asking about $250 for it (camper store retail). Online looks like the run about $50 less. I haven't had time to research them yet, but seems to be the new big thing. Its wireless and your phone controls the settings. Worth considering since I need an extra 2-3 inches with the Tundra. That connector is so high that I had to get an extension for my boat too.
It’s a 31’ trailer, “ultralight” model so dry weight is about 6300, probably close to 7000 fully loaded for travel. It’s dual axle of course with brakes on both axles, and I use a standard bar and chain 10,000lb weight-distribution hitch.

For extension you mean the wiring? A quick google search found several options there from $20-50.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
It’s a 31’ trailer, “ultralight” model so dry weight is about 6300, probably close to 7000 fully loaded for travel. It’s dual axle of course with brakes on both axles, and I use a standard bar and chain 10,000lb weight-distribution hitch.

For extension you mean the wiring? A quick google search found several options there from $20-50.
I do have a distribution and sway bars as well. But yes, wiring extension. As long as I don't turn the steering completely to the right, I"m ok. Just makes me nervous. Don't want to have to worry about that. I also have an extension sort of thing, that I had to use on the Audi. German vehicles seem to not have enough resistance and cause the LEDs on the camper to lightly flash (not really obvious during the day). This adds resistance to prevent that. I probably can put that in place for now. But, I will need to get an extension IF the controller starts working after an update. If not, that Curt gadget will kill 2 birds with one stone. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sometimes simplest solutions. . . Have you adjusted the trailer brakes lately. I had jerky operation at one time; adjusted the brakes solved it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just had the bearings packed and pads checked last week but the only change was the hydraulic over electric ( the setting I'm not to be using) was less sensitive but the Electric setting is still pretty much no stopping power unless I use the manual.

Going today for the update on the truck. But wont be pulling the camper for a few days. So I will update once I test it out.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts