Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done some research here on this forum and a few threads where people complain about their engine sounding like a diesel. Just wanted to throw mine out there for people to listen too and tell me if this is what theirs sounds like? I feel like it really sounds diesely for a gas engine.

Video was taken fully warmed up after driving 40 miles, at idle, in park. Mods are TRD Intake, TRD Exhaust, and Hypertech Interceptor.

Thanks for your feedback....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. A co-worker of mine just bought one as well but he works in a different location, been hoping to listen to his and see if it sounds similar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
one time, a quy at the gas station told me about a better deal on diesel gasoline across town...:)..I told him I was pumping 87..he was surprised..lol
Hah!

Do you also hear a good amount of valve train chatter when accelerating up past the ~3000 range? Seems pretty audible in the cab.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Um, that sounds bad. I can hear some valvetrain noise if I stick my head in the wheel well or lift the hood, but nothing like that. Definitely no noise in the cab.

That sounds like the two 80's tech diesel humvees I have sitting in my garage.

As the say, you might want to get that looked at.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Woah, that's louder than my truck, and I hate noise... :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Completely normal, don't listen to these guys. Theirs sounds exactly the same. Every single 5.7 has a clack sound. The 5.7 has a small amount of piston slap. You will be chasing a red herring if you let it bother you.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Completely normal, don't listen to these guys. Theirs sounds exactly the same. Every single 5.7 has a clack sound. The 5.7 has a small amount of piston slap. You will be chasing a red herring if you let it bother you.
Hey guys, we've got a badass here. Thanks for letting me know what my truck sounds like.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hey guys, we've got a badass here. Thanks for letting me know what my truck sounds like.
This topic has been talked about tons before. The 5.7 is noisy. Especially in colder weather. Piston slap is the culprit. It doesn't hurt the engine. Its not a problem. Many modern engines are noisy. I've had 3.5 V6 engines sound worse than any 5.7 engine I've heard.

My recommendation. Buy a louder exhaust. Drown it out. :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
This topic has been talked about tons before. The 5.7 is noisy. Especially in colder weather. Piston slap is the culprit. It doesn't hurt the engine. Its not a problem. Many modern engines are noisy. I've had 3.5 V6 engines should worse than any 5.7 engine I've heard.

My recommendation. Buy a louder exhaust. Drown it out. :)
I feel like I have a pretty good command of wht has been discussed on this board and I will stand by comment that my truck does not sound like that and IMHO the engine in that video does not sound normal for a 5.7l Tundra.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Everyone has an opinion on what their truck sounds like, or should sound like. Unless you are standing in front of the vehicle, in person, it's sometimes hard to tell from a video. Best bet, stop by your dealer and just have them listen to it, get it documented, and move on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My truck has a little noise when I first start it up but I never hear anything in the cab or drive thru's. Once its warm I really don't hear anything, if that where my truck I would drop it off at the dealer and say fix it or get me another one. Just go the the dealer and have them start another truck to compare.

·
Registered
345 Posts
sorry double post.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just my opinion but that sounds normal. The tundra does have a noisy drivetrain. You can really hear the piston slap on these motor. I just clocked 30K miles and not a problem.

Taking it to the dealer would not hurt.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts