Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I tried searching and every hit as soon as you put in LED DRL gives me the new style full LED light swap info. My 16 tundra has the base halogen lights with a amber DRL and I'm planning on swapping in newer lights with the LED DRL but still has a halogen beam. Do I need a harness for the DRL to function or repin the plug? I don't have the lights yet to compare them just trying to see what needs to be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am wanting to do the same thing to my 2014 SR5 Headlight Assemblies.

I recently purchased a set of Headlights from a 2015 Tundra 1794 edition that has the LED strip. I have not started the mod yet.

I noticed these 1794 headlights have an extra assy connector and a harness that is about 10” long with 4 pin connector on the end - looks like 3 pins are being used. I assume this harness is for the LED strip in the headlight assy.

I'd really like to get them working with full functionality including dimming. Are there any kits and instructions for this?

Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I recently purchased a set of Headlights from a 2015 Tundra 1794 edition that has the LED strip. I have not started the mod yet.

I noticed these 1794 headlights have an extra assy connector and a harness that is about 10” long with 4 pin connector on the end - looks like 3 pins are being used. I assume this harness is for the LED strip in the headlight assy.

I'd really like to get them working with full functionality including dimming. Are there any kits and instructions for this?

Thank you in advance...
Headlight revolution sells the plug for the DRL with the power wire on it and a fuse tap for like $10. I had to add a pin for the ground circuit to the plug. DRLs work anytime the truck is on and I left my amber DRL working as well. My LED strip does not dim but the amber does dim once the headlights are on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Headlight revolution sells the plug for the DRL with the power wire on it and a fuse tap for like $10. I had to add a pin for the ground circuit to the plug. DRLs work anytime the truck is on and I left my amber DRL working as well. My LED strip does not dim but the amber does dim once the headlights are on.
Did you have to order one or two of those?
I see there 15 for fuse tap that comes with drl plug on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you have to order one or two of those?
I see there 15 for fuse tap that comes with drl plug on it?
Did you add the ground next to the top wire or on bottom of plug?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thank you in advance...
Just did this came out better than planned

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 tundra and I prefer the halogen bulbs actually using LEDs in the halogen housing. But wanted to upgrade to the black halogens with LED strip. Can somebody please give me advice on install what do I need to hook up differently to make sure the LED strip works? Thanks

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
I used V-land assemblies from amazon. Come with harnesses to match different years of trucks.
I have had no issues.

However, I have a Platinum. I have read that not plat/1794's have issues with the housing melting from the drl operating the turn signal bulb all the time. If I were to put them on a truck which is a non plat/1794, I would probably disable the drl signal to the turn signal bulb, and just only have the white drl led's operational. That is how it is on my Plat, but plats and 1794's, maybe even limited trim* (unsure tbh) have led drl from the factory, and do not use the turn/running bulb as the drl. At least in 2017.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used V-land assemblies from amazon. Come with harnesses to match different years of trucks.
I have had no issues.

However, I have a Platinum. I have read that not plat/1794's have issues with the housing melting from the drl operating the turn signal bulb all the time. If I were to put them on a truck which is a non plat/1794, I would probably disable the drl signal to the turn signal bulb, and just only have the white drl led's operational. That is how it is on my Plat, but plats and 1794's, maybe even limited trim* (unsure tbh) have led drl from the factory, and do not use the turn/running bulb as the drl. At least in 2017.
OK thanks I’ve got the DRL wire that hooks to the fuse and I’m gonna run the halogen with the black housing and the led drl. That sounds like a good idea to disable the bulb do you have any idea how I would go about doing that on the factory housing I think there’s three wires that go to that bulb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts