Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2016 integrated brake controller reprogrammed, there is a new ECM update released June 27, 2017 if I remember correctly. I hadn't planned on a trip for at least a few weeks but I may go take the trailer out for a test drive this month just to test the new settings.

Toyota says this is due to "customer complaints about brake feel." Well, mine basically didn't work as has been reported by others here. Manual activation was perfect but good luck when you hit the brakes. Almost wrecked thanks to the factory controller on a surprise blind hill a week ago, was going <25mph in the boonies. Hopefully this means I will "feel" the brakes actually working now. Toyota says this is a 2016-2017 release, I don't know if it works for 14's and 15's.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Would you have any additional info regarding this ECM update? It should be listed on your receipt. I called 2 different service departments after this was posted and both said they were not aware of an ECM update and it was not in their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Update per USB" on my receipt. He hooked their Tech II(hope that's the right name, it's their Toyota OBDII scanner) laptop to my Tundra, ran a "health scan," and it popped up with an available update for 2016-2017 Tundras. I didn't think to take a quick couple pictures, not sure if I would have gotten him in trouble. It looked like internal release info, standard white-paper release stuff though. I was looking over his shoulder and reading it with him, he had invited me back with him to watch since he was planning on having to do some reading/research to see if he could find any listed fixes. It just happened to pop up on the diagnostic scan. I'll try to get some time to see if I can call back and get any information.

If you have time, take yours in and have them run the scan and it should pop up. It's ONLY an update for the brake controller, maybe it writes to it directly through the OBDII port? I don't know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll be sure to ask about this on my next oil change. My controller works but I'd expect more brake power at 7.0 than I get. I also notice it doesn't automatically engage with the trucks brakes like my Ram used too. They'd be some nice fixes if true!

Reactions: brabus

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
subd

·
Registered
105 Posts
Called one dealership got in a pissing match with one women while scheduling oil change and inquiring about update..... her manager finally found it so getting it done tomorrow thxs

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks printed out the tsb. Let us know if it works better, so we can get it updated. I'm wondering if the new part #89547-0c012 already come's with new update program.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Subbed thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
At dealership now ill be towing my camper this weekend approx 6k lbs to 8klbs fully loaded......dealership service runner asked why i wanted the update......im not sure of anyone else has ran into this many issues just requesting a simple update

·
Registered
111 Posts
At dealership now ill be towing my camper this weekend approx 6k lbs to 8klbs fully loaded......dealership service runner asked why i wanted the update......im not sure of anyone else has ran into this many issues just requesting a simple update

If ANYONE in the service industry gives you hassles, immediately take it up a notch to their boss. There’s a lot of people out there who’d love that job, and would work harder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I told my service guy the truth: I nearly wrecked my truck and trailer when the trailer brakes didn't engage; all ended well but it was dicey for a moment(near-panic stop on a steep downhill slope). "I could have wrecked and my whole family was on board, FIX IT." The local service center is good people, they sent out a senior tech.

Edit: Btw on a good road the Tundra still would have stopped the trailer without much drama; cherry on top was the road was very rough and bumpy and the traction control was doing some serious magic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So if they Reflash the ECU for this revision, will it erase anyone that has a DAP Tune?

Reactions: TrailDad

·
Registered
345 Posts
So if they Reflash the ECU for this revision, will it erase anyone that has a DAP Tune?
I think their only reflashing the brake controller.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got my IBC updated about thirty minutes ago at a dealer here in Massachusetts. I have a trip planned for this weekend with my travel trailer so I'll report back on how it feels. It was definitely non functional before in electric/electric mode. I might even take a spin around the block tonight to see how it feels.

FWIW I contacted Toyota corporate Friday to complain about this, they responded Saturday, and had the dealer call me last night to schedule a check on the truck today.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Here's the US version of the TSB.
I think a person would be very prudent to read this TSB very closely.

Read the last page with the warnings.

I would venture to say better than 80% of the dealers are completely incapable of performing this level of service.

Yes, it is true, if the instructions are followed all should be ok? This should be an easy thing to do; if you can find a dealer that can do it.

Yes, it is true, dealers do not have any technicians that are trained and up to the task (at least 80% or more are that way).

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.