Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening TT,

I'm a new member w/o a Tundra.

I've been trying to buy a 2015 Tundra Platinum with the Blind Spot Monitor option.

I know it varies depending on where you live, but in general, what do you guys think is a fair out-the-door price on one? Dealers keep hitting me with prices between $51K and $54K.

Pretty boring post I know, sorry bout' that. Maybe I can tell a joke later or something.

My plan is to take the truck to Camburg after I get it. Just a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I got my 2015 platinum brand new with no miles on it for 44500$. My suggestion is to bypass the sales people and talk to the fleet director specifically. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Here's exactly what I bought:

Model Year

Model Description

TUNDRA 4X4 PLAT CREWMAX 5.7L V8

Exterior Color

01D6 SILVER SKY METALLIC

Interior Color

LE20 BLACK

Body

PLAT CREWMAX 5.7L V8

Number of Cylinders

Packages

F BD Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Accessories

F FE 50 State Emissions

P 2Q All Weather Mats

I live in Highland Village, TX but I ordered the Truck from a dealer in California that I bought a few tundras in the past from. The reason I did that was to get a non_FFV car so I could supercharge it and maintain the factory warranty.

Best regards,
Michal

·
Registered
176 Posts
Prices will fluctuate some with location. I just bought a 2015 1794 Edition for right around $44K. My paperwork isn't finalized and my add-ons get it well past that but it gives you an idea where your dealer should come in.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Its really up to the sales people. Some of them really gouge and the ones that hit you walking up the stairs to the door are usually the junior ones who are trying to sell one car to make their commission quota for the week/month. The fleet people are volume people and don't have the time to sit and haggle. Most of the time they'll give you a best and final price and you can take it or leave it because they have very little room to move around.

Another suggestion is to check out trucar or carsdirect. The only problem there is if you go all the way through building and signing up for the service they're going to pass your information to 3 dealers in your area who will jump all over themselves to get your business (lots of phone calls - even after you buy one).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my 2015 platinum brand new with no miles on it for 44500$. My suggestion is to bypass the sales people and talk to the fleet director specifically. Good luck!

$44,500 was the final / total price?

Where are you located? Also, 4x4 or 4x2?
San Diego. I also travel for work, so I've checked dealers in AZ as well. 4X4

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its really up to the sales people. Some of them really gouge and the ones that hit you walking up the stairs to the door are usually the junior ones who are trying to sell one car to make their commission quota for the week/month. The fleet people are volume people and don't have the time to sit and haggle. Most of the time they'll give you a best and final price and you can take it or leave it because they have very little room to move around.

Another suggestion is to check out trucar or carsdirect. The only problem there is if you go all the way through building and signing up for the service they're going to pass your information to 3 dealers in your area who will jump all over themselves to get your business (lots of phone calls - even after you buy one).

I hear ya. I used cars.com, my phone blew up in less than 5 minutes after I hit "get quote".

I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
$44,500 was the final / total price?

San Diego. I also travel for work, so I've checked dealers in AZ as well. 4X4
Yes, that was the total / final price. I didn't pay tax or license because I'm in Texas.

I bought my Tundra from Dianne Whitmire @ Carson Toyota in Carson (about 2 hours north of you). I bought my first tundra from her in 2002, then in 2006, then my brother bought one in 2012. She's the fleet director and runs the whole fleet department and will give you a no BS experience.

Best regards,
Michal

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Nate, when comparing what others paid "OTD" don't forget there are several variables. You probably have a higher sales tax, and I know CA registration is expensive. And I would guess even on a Platinum there are some options.

I have even seen here when someone quotes what they paid they don't include info on a trade. Certainly shop around for a good deal, but if you are financing don't forget to take that into account. And as long as you are happy with the purchase, that's all that matters.

Enjoy that SD weather, I sure miss it when we get rain for a month straight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that was the total / final price. I didn't pay tax or license because I'm in Texas.

I bought my Tundra from Dianne Whitmire @ Carson Toyota in Carson (about 2 hours north of you). I bought my first tundra from her in 2002, then in 2006, then my brother bought one in 2012. She's the fleet director and runs the whole fleet department and will give you a no BS experience.

Best regards,
Michal
I really appreciate your help! I called Carson Toyota (CA). I spoke with Gloria (Fleet and Internet manager) and she said that Dianne was on medical leave.

Gloria just quoted me $51,224. Man! These trucks are sweet, but they must be dipped in gold!

Once again, thank you very much. Regardless of what she quoted me, I am grateful for your help!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd keep shopping. That's MSRP without any rebates/discounts. Here's a breakdown of my sale.

MSRP - $52,000
Combined Dealer Discounts - ($7,400)
Trade - ($10,500)
Plow - $4,900
Total - $39,000 + taxes/title ext - $42,900ish

And they certainly didn't mark down my trade to make it seem like I was getting a better deal. KBB on my trade was about $6,000. I was hoping for $7500 and thrilled with $10,500. I think the used car manager was high when he quoted it. I also got an independent quote on the plow which was exactly what the dealer quoted.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
That's bizzare.

Maybe you should wait for Dianne to get back or try carsdirect/trucar.

Paying msrp is rediculous.

Michal

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
My insurance company, USAA, has a great buying program as does Costco. Many credit unions offer similar help. Look at your relationships and see where help may come from. It can be tough to go it alone.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Truecar.com gives a real good idea of what the best /fair prices should be.

Edmunds.com also works similarly....though I found TrueCar to be cheaper.

Either way, once the dealers know you have your prices, it's much faster to negotiate your price. They know you will find it somewhere else if they don't work to keep you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought 2015 1794 Edition (7 miles on odometer) on 3/7/15 here in DE at my local dealer, guessing I could have done better, but time is money and did not want to spend too much of my time.
Sales guy told me best deal was blah blah blah, went home hit truecar and got offers a ~$1000 below what the sales guy told me ... now he said this was the best deal ever ... more blah, blah, blah. In the end paid $46805 for 1794 with blind spot & cross traffic alert option. OTD price with 5 year tag was 47,449 .. then promptly dumped another $8K on upgrades>:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought 2015 1794 Edition (7 miles on odometer) on 3/7/15 here in DE at my local dealer, guessing I could have done better, but time is money and did not want to spend too much of my time.
Sales guy told me best deal was blah blah blah, went home hit truecar and got offers a ~$1000 below what the sales guy told me ... now he said this was the best deal ever ... more blah, blah, blah. In the end paid $46805 for 1794 with blind spot & cross traffic alert option. OTD price with 5 year tag was 47,449 .. then promptly dumped another $8K on upgrades>:D
funny how that happens. I was out the door at $43K and somehow left owing $50K

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't say enough to about the Costco program. I'll never buy another car without it. The program works when participating dealers are required to sell vehicles at a specific amount below INVOICE. In my case, it was $1,400 under invoice plus I was able to get another $1k for TFS financing (which I'm refinancing after my first payment since they are about 2 points higher than my local credit union). My 2015 CM Limited came to a base price of $40.7k + $3.5k installed options (tube steps, sun roof, spray on bedliner, LoJack, tint, pin stripe, hitch mount, and smart phone connectivity kit) for a total MSRP of $44.2k. I paid $38.5k after all discounts. The dealer showed me his computer calculating a $700 loss but they were essentially breaking even. I tried to get another dealer to beat it and they said there was no way they could come close. Just to match it they would need to take it all the way up to the dealership GM to approve which he said would likely be denied anyway due to the price being so far below their invoice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 89 Posts