Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speculation and Rumors

As most know there has been a good deal of confusion regarding the 2015 IBC.

As this point, most know it has been delayed. Most are also aware the wiring harness systems have change from 2014 to 2015.

Most also know much of the delay has been Toyota addressing their specs regarding electric over hydraulic.

Well as a precursor to the final factory implementation of these products; it looks like Associated (Tekonsha) should have the following products available to Toyota dealers around December 15th.

Of course the plastic dash kits have been available for over a year.

I would guess that the complete wiring harness changes are going into Tundra production before the end of the year?

It would only be speculation on my part regarding “when” the IBC will be factory installed.

https://www.toyotaap.com/cequent-tekonsha-prodigy-p2-brake-control-system-with-harness-3.aspx

https://www.toyotaap.com/cequent-tekonsha-brake-control-harness-3.aspx

https://www.toyotaap.com/cequent-tekonsha-p3-electronic-brake-controller-with-harness.aspx

·
Registered
91 Posts
2015?

so are you saying that the current 2015 do not have this new harness?

Have to admit Toyota is silly late on this one. I don't need one right now but remember installing in my last truck and had nothing but problems with my harness afterwards. It was just a connector but I did have to splice a wire.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are you saying that the current 2015 do not have this new harness?

Have to admit Toyota is silly late on this one. I don't need one right now but remember installing in my last truck and had nothing but problems with my harness afterwards. It was just a connector but I did have to splice a wire.

If the brake controller harness is something you need "now" then your dealer is the best source on how and when to get you one.

My very "unofficial" source indicates this:

BRAKE CONTROLLER ACCESSORY CONNECTOR
(DISC) NO LONGER AVAILABLE for factory ordering; standard equipment as of September, 26, 2014. *No Longer Factory Orderable, See Dealer for Current Availability*
Code: TD

I want to point out that for matters such as this my source is more often incorrect than correct. Also, this source is often 30-60 days out of date.

My gut feeling is Toyota will make them available to new orders the first half of December; but I could be wrong.

Essentially this means if you have to have a wiring harness "today", you will have to make it if you cannot wait for it.

If Toyota had followed what the other three makers did regarding IBC, they would just offer "electric" system brake controllers only and/or initially.

How sophisticated or unsophisticated they plan to make the IBC....I have no idea? But this all comes back to braking system "computers" and the related wiring to make it work the way they want it to work.

Of course if your truck is a 2014 it is not a problem and the 2015 brake controller wire harness should be here very soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
'15 Tundra 5.7L Brake Controller

This forum has been a life saver! Took delivery on a '15 DC Limited three weeks ago. Have a Drawtite Activator II Electric Brake Controller which I put in my previous Tundra when I bought the custom Loadmaster with electric brakes to carry my boat, (which is why I own the Tundra).

My trailer supply would not put the controller (bought from him) on the Tundra. No plug; could not identify an adapter. Called dealer after seeing what is going on in this forum. Told them about controller and pointed out that the Owner's Manual says I have an integrated controller (which we know I do not).

Service writer: "I will see what is the situation, but I don't believe it is installed."
Service Manager: "The plug should be in a bag in the glove box so you can put it in." I told him it was not. He then said it would be a new vehicle problem, and Sales Manager would call me.
Sales Manager: (Who I called 3 days later.) "I thought service was going to call you. Adapters are VERY expensive, but I will try to find you one"

Since it is a little hard to boat in Michigan right now, I am watching and waiting. I know how to install the controller, but WHY?? This truck cost more than my first house, and they can't find a plug!!

PS, It is the name of my boat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 15 platinum 4x4 past weekend and when the salesperson was showing me the ins and outs of the truck after purchase, she handed me an adaptor and pointed area right in front of your right knee in driver's side where the adaptor fits and also this is where the trailer brake will be installed.

I don't know if this is for all the Tundras but I have the adaptor chilling in the glovebox.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I take delivery of my 15 platinum tomorrow... I was told it had the harness for a brake controller that will be made by Toyota...

I found these part numbers from another thread somewhere else (can't remember, but saved the part numbers)

55447-0C020-C0 | Toyota OEM Parts |*SWITCH PANEL | Genuine Toyota*

89547-0C010 | Toyota OEM Parts |*RELAY, TRAILER BRAKE | Genuine Toyota*

or

89547-0C010 - Genuine Toyota RELAY, TRAILER BRAKE

These are supposed to be the Toyota brake controller... has anyone ordered these yet or installed/tried them out... interested to get some feedback before I order.

Reactions: LATTY14

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the information. I can see that the panel is designed for the integrated controller. In my case, I want the connector (that was supposed to be in the glove box) so I can connect the electronic controller that I already purchased and kept out of my previous Tundra.

The dealer said it was there (which it was not), then that they would find one, then they wanted me to buy a new controller and connector (not Toyota). Now I have been waiting three weeks for them to get me the connector. Service referred me back to Sales, so I think my problem is a low priority. I do appreciate the information, and will keep it. Hopefully the temps will rise soon, and I can get back to boating, which will raise the importance significantly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2015 and recently bought a camper that required brake assist. I was their first 2015 tundra and found no plug. Eventually they said if I was to leave that day then they'd have to hard wire it in... I hesitated but the tech seems good and had the right wire tracer so sure why not? It works but I'm kind of surprised that this wasn't a known issue and had everyone scratching their heads lol. All is well though and when I tow that monster I have brakes, along with 9mpg! Haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in the dealership today looking into the controllers. From what the parts manager was saying they are installed in the 2016 models but there's a huge back order for anyone wanting to use it on a 2015.
I've been searching Toyota parts all over the world and have found parts in Russia. Now worth all the extra money and hassel. I'm going to order one and wait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The connector is located behind the panel where the integrated controller is installed. It's a new design and different shape than the previous Tundra's (older models are located behind the left kick panel beside e brake) If your going to an aftermarket controller you still need to get behind the panel above the right knee. (tow/haul button) You need a spacific harness that you can buy...part # 3017-P from Tekonsha, it as the flat shaped connector your looking for. It will connect to any Tekonsha controller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in the dealership today looking into the controllers. From what the parts manager was saying they are installed in the 2016 models but there's a huge back order for anyone wanting to use it on a 2015.
I've been searching Toyota parts all over the world and have found parts in Russia. Now worth all the extra money and hassel. I'm going to order one and wait.
There is no confusion about the brake controller UNLESS you are talking to a dealer. I heard it all: "not in the truck; in the glove box; coming soon" (Jan '15), and the best one direct from Toyota: "There is no wiring and no controller, even if the owner's manual says there is".

All you need to do is contact E-Trailer.com. Everybody there including the janitor knows where the connector is and what plugs in to it. The dealer quoted me $389.00 plus install to put in a Tekonsha. E-Trialer got me what I needed to put my Draw-Tite in my '15 Tundra for $12.00. If you want to get the controller, get one of several choices from E-Trailer with the correct connector of your Toyota. Very simple, plug and play, and much less money. I would not let the dealer do it since most of them don't even know where the plug is located, and Toyota isn't telling them.

The panel is to the right of the steering column at your knee. Take out screws in the bottom lip, if any, and run you fingers around the edge of the panel and pull. It will pop right out of the clips. I had to put backing clips on the screws I mounted mine with because the panel is so thin. If you have the panel with the controller pocket in it, you should be able to get a controller to fit in it without a problem.

If you are towing, you should know about E-Trailer anyway. Internet or phone, they are great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.