Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the wiring scheme has changed a little. At least on mine.
I was trying to tap into a switched 12V to run a DashCam.
Gaining access, pictured for those who might want to try.
Gently pry the center cover off

remove 4 screws total and the console will come down.
2 above the glasses holder,..

... and two under the center cover plate:

Pull back slightly and it will drop down

Disconnected console, now looking at feed connector. This is a 14 pin connector. I'm not sure which way to number them, but I flipped it over to un-twist the wires a little so you could see them better:

There is no switched 12V on this connector. I spent a few tracing them out with my multi-meter. The Ground is the usual white with black stripe. That wire above it (aqua-ish) is not the 12V Switched, and neither is the blue. That wire above the ground actually goes over the the mic. I was bummed, but wait. I decided to give the mirror connector a try.

By golly I found a switched 12V. It's not ACC switched, it's Ignition switched, but no matter to me. I don't want my dash cam running with ACC is on anyway.

Another 14 pin plug. (sorry for the blurred image) One row only has one White wire. It's 12V on all the time. Second row: First pin is a light Blue wire. It's the switched 12V (again ignition switched, not ACC) next to it is the GND white with black strip. The others are for the mirrors electronics.
I tied into blue wire, connected to a small 12V to 5V adapter, which fit up in the upper console and it worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. Actually I just got my cam in and was wondering about having it hardwired (like the clean look, even painted my Good2Go pass black, so it blends in).
What camera are you using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mobius Action Cam. It's not top of the line, but it's feature rich for the size. Only thing, there is no GPS, but other than that, I like it.

Here is about a minute and a half of video from it. I had to use YouTube, photobucket butchered it after rendering. Even after using YT it degraded it some. It has wide angle, but I had it turned off.

http://youtu.be/mvhPY6WLTHc

Looks like I bumped it a bit when installing the 12V to 5V adapter in the console.
Need to re-align.

Amazon.com : Black Box Mobius Pro Mini Action Camera - 820mAh Battery - 1080P Full HD Mini Sports Action Dash Cam - DVR Video Recorder with WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) Large FOV, Motion Detection & Time Lapse : Camera & Photo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lubbock?

Thanks for sharing the video and info on the camera, that this looks pretty good for less than $100.00 bucks!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Kendall_s

Great write up, just ordered a camera and hardwire kit. Your graphics and research are a super help. I thought I check to see how it working after almost a year and if you've do anything different? Anybody else have any lessons learned?

Thanks

Skysho

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Thanks, the wiring kit should be here this week. I've use the lighter plug to play with the camera since it arrived last Friday. Captured my first near miss today, idiot changed lanes and ran me into the median. I think they should have a local website to post dumbass driver clips. :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What wiring kit are you using? Couldn't you just cut the 5 volt portion out of the provided plug and hardwire it to the 12 volt supply in the mirror on the same side the CIG lighter plug was on?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I ordered one off eBay that has the right angle mini usb plug. I guess you could cannibalize the 12v cigarette lighter plug, but I prefer keeping that one and use the one I ordered.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Just followed the post from Kendall_s and it works like a champ! I was really tired of the cigarette lighter power wire hanging down. Did a quick connect to the blue from mirror, and a quick connect to the ground (white w/blk stripe) at the console connector. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ah just found this. I'm about to wire up my road hawk HD just like you did. However I want my camera to be on 24/7. Which one of those power wires in the console connector would I tap into, to make that happen? I'd prefer not to use the mirror connector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guess I'll have to pull out my multi meter from the storage. Arg. I imagine red would be positive and the black/white (as he said) would be ground to use on the first connector. Wish I could find a wiring diagram somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Found a bunch of wiring PDF's from some Russian website that had this in it (attached) and the top row of wires is specifically for the mic in the mirror. So I'm imagining the red = power, and the black/white (as you said and this diagram reads) = ground.

*edit* After testing with the multi meter, red is not your power source, but instead there is a wire beside the red wire which is hidden in your pic, that provides switched power. I believe the power for it stays on as long as the lights/mic receive power in the roof console, so essentially the camera will stay on about a few minutes after you have left, and stays on as long as the vehicle is on. Essentially it was the perfect switched power you were originally looking for, but with a cleaner install :)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wanted to add a couple of pictures to help clarify what @Kendall_s documented.

Here is a better image of the rear view mirror plug. the light blue and white/black stripe wire are the ones you want.

I unwrapped the wire loom, and was able to tap into the wires there instead of down near the plug.

Here's everything tapped and the inverter shoved in. You need to make sure it is in between the alignment tabs on the over head console, roughly around center.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts