Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a few years since I have been on this forum. Been on another Tundra forum for a while.
Many mods have been completed on my Tundra and I am getting close to being finished with my audio system in my truck.

Small background I have been building competition audio systems since 1989. In 1992 we took #1 in the world in security and #2 in the world in sound only missing first place by half a point. I have built many audio systems in over 100 vehicles over the years.

With the Tundra I had one purpose in mind, build the best sounding audio system I have ever built and do it in a basic utilitarian way. I did not want to spend months building fiberglass enclosures and LED's. I wanted to use basic off the shelf items and prove that the JBL head unit could provide competition level results.

In the beginning I started off with one more amp than I ended up using and I decided to delete rear door speakers. I did not build the system for anyone to listen to but myself. So everything would be based around the driver in the Tundra and the passengers just did not matter. After all 95% of the time I am the only one in the Tundra.

So the equipment list is as follows:

Tech12volts JBL Wire harness

Arc Audio PS8
Arc Audio PSC

DS18 50 Farad Hybrid Capacitor

(2) Pioneer GM-D9605's

A pair of Pioneer TS-D1730C

(2) Pioneer TS-SW2002D2
(2) Pioneer TS-SW3002S4

Q Forms Kick Panels
XTC Baffles for every speaker except the 12's
Cheap on line sub enclosure (paid $109.00 for it) It will be heavily modified.
A set of 8" Fast rings

A ton of wiring mostly from an old sponsor of mine Phoenix Gold. And many other electrical items to wire this whole mess in the truck.

I will be maintaining the factory JBL head unit as I like all of its integrated features and it should be capable of performing just fine with the Arc Audio processor.

SUB WOOFER ENCLOSURE:
Purchased a cheap sub enclosure off ebay as I knew I would need to modify it for my purposes and since you cant fold down the rear seat to show off the subs it was going to be mostly out of sight out of mind.

Had to reinforce the enclosure, seal it up, dampen the enclosure and then fit the Pioneer Flat 12's

Due to the location of the holes that were precut, I had to rotate the drivers to allow clearance for the terminals to the enclosure. With the Pioneer emblems rotates horizontal you could not plug the wire in to the terminals. So a 90 degree rotation of the driver took care of that.

With a few internal tricks with the enclosure these subs have no problem hitting a 16hz bass note cleanly.

Front Stage:

The Pioneer 6.75" upper mid bass drivers were mounted in a couple of kick panels with a lot of audio trickery to turn them from die pole array in to sealed enclosures. This will tighten up the drivers and allow them to image well without any muddy distortion.

For the lower mid bass I used a pair of 8" Pioneer subs for the front doors.
Again more than meets the eye, They are in sealed enclosures with some trickery to fool the driver in to thinking it is in a larger enclosure than it actually is.

Front stage continued:

Tweeters were mounted in the left and right dash locations. This position was chosen after placing the tweeters in 3 different locations and listening to a lot of reference material to determine where they best imaging occurred. The door tweeter location created very harsh highs, and kick panel locations angled at 45 degrees pulled the staging down to low in front of you.

For the ARC Audio PS8 processor and the two Pioneer amplifiers I decided to use a readily available under seat storage box and modify it to fit my needs.

This pretty well sets the stage for a basic system that will deliver stellar performance from 16hz to 20,000hz+ effortlessly. Provide a wide sound stage with excellent imaging.

INSTALLTION:

8" in the door

6.75" Upper Mid Bass in the kick panels:

.75" tweeters in the dash

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
12" Pioneer subs

The Amp Rack:

The DSP controller I mounted in the center console for easy access:

With the system in, the following are my crossover points and slopes

12" crossed over at 75hz Butterworth 48db per octave slope.
8" 60hz to 350hz, Butterworth 48 db per octave slope
6.75" 200 hz to 5500hz, Butterworth 48 db per octave slope
.75" Tweeter 5500hz to 45,000hz open ended with the bottom end on the Butterworth 48db per octave slope.

All of the drivers are DB matched to the drivers left and right ears accordingly to perfectly balance the system left to right and all of the drivers are time aligned to the drivers left and right ears.

The EQ settings are as follows:

The RTA results for the system measured on the 2DB scale are as follows:

World finals IASCA trophies from 1992

·
Registered
2020 Tundra TRD PRO
25 Posts
Awesome write-up...amp setup looks great. Just spent a ton of money on my audio as well...How do you like your ReadyLift..? I'm in the market for a lift as well but just dont know what route to take...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been very happy with the Readylift. It was a quick easy install and it has been on the truck for 5 years + now and no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,872 Posts
Wow I love everything but the location of the kick panel under the ebrake. I replaced all my JBL stuff too but went a little more simple with the AudioControl 6.1200 and the DSR1 Rockford thing a MaJig. I went Kenwood 6x9s with the 3" dash tweeters and a 12" Kenwood shallow sub. Im really happy with the sound now. Your system has to sound freaking amazing well done.

Reactions: Vector W8

·
Registered
797 Posts
If this is "basic utilitarian", I'd hate to see what a complex system looks like to you! Looks amazing. Great job!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I love everything but the location of the kick panel under the ebrake. I replaced all my JBL stuff too but went a little more simple with the AudioControl 6.1200 and the DSR1 Rockford thing a MaJig. I went Kenwood 6x9s with the 3" dash tweeters and a 12" Kenwood shallow sub. Im really happy with the sound now. Your system has to sound freaking amazing well done.
Thank you! I have been enjoying it for about 6 months now. I still have a few things to tidy up, but I am incredibly happy with the way the system sounds. Sounds like you have a really nice setup also.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If this is "basic utilitarian", I'd hate to see what a complex system looks like to you! Looks amazing. Great job!
Thanks, the competition system that my team placed 1st in security and 2nd in sound ( we missed 1st in sound by 1/2 a point). That system was about $125,000.00 by the time we finished it back in 1992. By todays standards it would approach $250K to replicate today. But we had $25K in wiring alone in that car. It was a beautiful system. We reupholstered the entire car including the system/trunk in Recaro seat material. I need to find my photos of that build. I have moved twice since then and they are packed away in a box somewhere in the house. The fuse block we built for that system was the first of its kind. There were a lot of unique one off items in that car. There were a lot of professional 19" rack mount pieces in that car that we integrated in like a Roctron 8x noise gate, Alesis MEQ 230 etc....back then you couldnt buy a processor like the Arc Audio PS8 that now allow you to do everything digitally.

Back then people were mesmerised by 8 and 12 band EQ's When Audio Control brought out their first 1/3 octave eq it was two separate mono pieces that were quite large and hard to hide. So the pro gear with a voltage converter was a much more elegant option. It also looked really cool in the car compared the the old Audio Control pieces.

It was a car that was on the cutting edge of audio at the time. We also placed all of the speakers appropriately in the car to maximize time alignment. Back then there was no way to do it digitally. So making the drivers as close to equidistant to the drivers ears was the only way to achieve a perfect seat position.

If I can ever dig up my photo album I will post pic's of our old competition cars.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks, the competition system that my team placed 1st in security and 2nd in sound ( we missed 1st in sound by 1/2 a point). That system was about $125,000.00 by the time we finished it back in 1992. By todays standards it would approach $250K to replicate today. But we had $25K in wiring alone in that car. It was a beautiful system. We reupholstered the entire car including the system/trunk in Recaro seat material. I need to find my photos of that build. I have moved twice since then and they are packed away in a box somewhere in the house. The fuse block we built for that system was the first of its kind. There were a lot of unique one off items in that car. There were a lot of professional 19" rack mount pieces in that car that we integrated in like a Roctron 8x noise gate, Alesis MEQ 230 etc....back then you couldnt buy a processor like the Arc Audio PS8 that now allow you to do everything digitally.

Back then people were mesmerised by 8 and 12 band EQ's When Audio Control brought out their first 1/3 octave eq it was two separate mono pieces that were quite large and hard to hide. So the pro gear with a voltage converter was a much more elegant option. It also looked really cool in the car compared the the old Audio Control pieces.

It was a car that was on the cutting edge of audio at the time. We also placed all of the speakers appropriately in the car to maximize time alignment. Back then there was no way to do it digitally. So making the drivers as close to equidistant to the drivers ears was the only way to achieve a perfect seat position.

If I can ever dig up my photo album I will post pic's of our old competition cars.
I'd enjoy seeing those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts