Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, welcome to the forum.

Are the 2014 FFV Tundras plagued with the same poor mileage and performance issues as the 2012-2013 models?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I would like to know if Toyota is ever going to come up with a permanent solution for the poor mileage and engine performance of the 2012-2013 Flex Fuel Tundras? I have consistently been getting 7.4-7.6 city mpg using a light throttle since Day One of ownership. Why does the alcohol density read at 86% even though I have had the reflash, reset the Alcohol Density Reading numerous times, and have NEVER put one drop of E85 in my truck?

I love my truck, buy achieving only 57% of the EPA estimated mileage is beyond ridiculous. Funny how that percentage correlates closely with the increased amount of fuel the truck is supposed to pump in E85 mode. It is getting so bad that people are selling their Tundras for Rams.

See the thread:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/119051-2012-cm-5-7-flex-4x4-rough-cold-starts-solved.html

Don't let the title of the thread fool you, these problems definitely have not been solved.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What grade of gas do you use? I have a 11 5.7 flex fuel and I've never had this issue. When I first got the truck I used the 87-89 octane grade which contains 10% ethanol (in Missouri), but I've been using 91 octane which I'm told has no ethanol added. I don't know if its true or not but I'm getting better MPGs doing normal driving with 91, and I assumed that was due to not having ethanol in the 91 grade.

But here is a free bump since I'm interested in what they will say the issue is.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The bad mileage and poor performance mostly affects only the 2012-2013 FFV Tundras. Some are lucky enough to experience the problems, other do not. Toyota released an ECU reflash to correct the problem, but it has not worked for many of us.

I have used all grades of gas from many different brands and it makes no appreciable difference. Toyota knows there is a problem, but apparently thry don't care enough to fix it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
new 2013 Tundra 5.8L FFV Problem

In January 2014 I purchased a new 2013 5.7L FFV 4x4 DC TRD. Before 2K miles flashing error codes showed on dash: 4LO, Check Engine..... Dealer wanted to tow it 40 miles. I said it's running. I'll drive it in. Report was too much alcohol in the fuel. Have used the same gas station for my FJ Cruiser and Taco for years and never had a problem. Advised the service tech I getting bad MPG and having very rough start ups also. Shakes, blows black smoke. He said that's a fuel issue also.

After reading this thread:

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems & Dealer Service/Maintenance 2012 CM 5.7 Flex 4x4 rough cold starts solved 2012 CM 5.7 Flex 4x4 rough cold starts solved

I've determined it's NOT the fuel. It's the ECU!!! HAVE I PURCHASED A LEMON??? Will Toyota do anything about it? This is my eighth new Toyota. Had 'm since the 70's. Technology is suppose to improve the customers experience. This one definitely is NOT ! ! ! Come on Toyota. If you are reading this, and I hope you do, don't leave us standing out in the rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read the entire old thread and I thought the solution was a flash and fuel pump replacement. To the best of my memory, no one who did that had the problem again (or never bothered to post again). Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the entire old thread and I thought the solution was a flash and fuel pump replacement. To the best of my memory, no one who did that had the problem again (or never bothered to post again). Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. Many of us have had repeated reflashes and the peoblem still exists. Several owners have had the fuel pump replaced and ECU reflashed and the problem has returned. Members are not constantly posting about problems with their Flex Fuel Tundras for sh!ts and giggles.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/273242-my-flex-fuel-rough-start-saga.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Members are not constantly posting about problems with their Flex Fuel Tundras for sh!ts and giggles.
Whoa, dude. I wasn't trying to get under anyone's skin, just asking an honest question and looking for some clarification. Truce?

I know this thread is technically for 2014 Tundras, I'll be watching for this as well when I get home from Al Jack-crap-istan next month.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bueller . . . Bueller . . . Bueller?

Tundra Engineers, will you ever address the problems poor mileage and rough starting problems with the Flex Fuel Tundras?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have an appointment to have my new (3,000 miles) 2013 FFV re-flashed again this Saturday. Last time the Toyota Service Tech advised me it was bad (too much alcohol) fuel. Told me what stations NOT to buy gas from. Those stations worked well with all the other Toyota's I've owned? I'm armed with Toyota Technical Bulletin this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Service Report 4-20-14:
Toyota tech said my truck was on the E-85 program. Never have I put E-85 in it. Premium only the last two months. They added fuel and re-flashed it. Reset the MPG monitor when I hit the interstate. First reading was 19.8mpg. GOOD! Went to the grocery store and some other stops. 25 miles of country roads getting home. 18.1mpg after 70 miles of combined. Acceptable. NOW, will it stick?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Service Report 4-20-14:
Toyota tech said my truck was on the E-85 program. Never have I put E-85 in it. Premium only the last two months. They added fuel and re-flashed it. Reset the MPG monitor when I hit the interstate. First reading was 19.8mpg. GOOD! Went to the grocery store and some other stops. 25 miles of country roads getting home. 18.1mpg after 70 miles of combined. Acceptable. NOW, will it stick?
Thanks for the update and let us know if the reflash holds. I'm scheduled to take my truck in for the 5th time this Thursday in what I can only imagine is yet another futile attempt at "fixing" my poor performance and horrendous mileage.

I am now averaging 6.8mpg city. Uggghh.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have 2013 Flex fuel - no problems here - ever

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have 2013 Flex fuel - no problems here - ever
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. NOw it's in the 50's and 60's, and I still get a rough start - just not all the time. This morning, started with remote. Let it run about 5 minutes, shut off when I opened door. Took 2 tries to get it to start. Spit and sputter. Downloaded OBD Car Doctor app for my blue tooth OBD reader on my droid and alcohol percentage is 83.52. Never used E85 at all.

Making an appointment in the morning.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. NOw it's in the 50's and 60's, and I still get a rough start - just not all the time. This morning, started with remote. Let it run about 5 minutes, shut off when I opened door. Took 2 tries to get it to start. Spit and sputter. Downloaded OBD Car Doctor app for my blue tooth OBD reader on my droid and alcohol percentage is 83.52. Never used E85 at all.

Making an appointment in the morning.
If you have not already, you should read over the F thread documenting the various problems with the 2012-2013 Flex Fuel Tundras and our attempts at getting them fixed. The more useful info starts around page 26 which is around the time TSB 0058-13 was issued for the reflash.

T-SB-0058-13 http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/119051-2012-cm-5-7-flex-4x4-rough-cold-starts-solved-20.html#post1230593

Here is the thread:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/119051-2012-cm-5-7-flex-4x4-rough-cold-starts-solved-26.html

It is not a bad idea to read through the TSB to familiarize yourself with the procedure. A number of us have experienced situations where the techs did not properly follow the Alcohol Density Relearn procedure. Definitely ask them to record the Alcohol Density Reading and the Long Term Fuel Trims on your service record prior to performing the relearn proceedure which should zero out both readings. Make sure that they add 3 gallons of gas after they reset the Alcohol reading, then reset the Fuel Trims, then test drive the vehichle for 7 miles so that the new Alcohol Density readings lock in. Then ask them to record on your service history what the new readings are.

Good luck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good luck guys...keep us posted. Again - I'm 15+mpg riding dirty on the RW BFG ATs and BA Budget system. 17+ going 55-60

·
Registered
56 Posts
I need a little clarification. The TSB is for 12-13 year models. Does this apply or are folks having issues with the 2014 5.7 FFV as well?

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
If I was buying an expensive new truck, I would do whatever I could including flying to a far away dealer and driving the truck home to avoid a Flex truck. There are ZERO benefits and only negatives....E85 is garbage.

Avoid these trucks if at all possible.

Hear that Toyota??....tell the EPA to F-Off.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts