Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would just ask the shop to check the wiring on the bypass. You could do it yourself if you want, the connection guide is on idatalink's website, but I would think they would check for free based on your complaints. Just tell them you caught it and with the key in the ignition it did start.
Thanks for the advice thats exactly what ill do. Cant hurt anyone for them to check over it or reprogram. This is the reason I paid $770 to have a viper installed vs the cheaper brands. I know I paid to much but i did so I can take it back and have them fix any issues. When I called he didnt seem to have any problem taken care of whatever is wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Remote starts a suspect. No matter who puts it on, or sells it. Toyota puts them on and they fail. I will never put one on again. I go outside, start the truck, then go back out 5 minutes later. Truck starts everytime.

I tried several different brands, and installers. Take it off!!
Taking it off isnt an option. Paid to much good money to just do that, besides I love my system and now that I have it I wouldnt be able to go back stock! Ill just let the installers look it over and if theres any issues now or later they will fix it done deal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I still havent got the remote start fixed. Iv taken it back to the installer atleast 5 times for him to look at it. He keeps telling me he "updates it". The truck either spins over and doesnt crank or even more it will just set the factory alarm off when I hit the remote start button. Sometimes I can go a month without it happening or sometimes a day. I called best buy ( not who I used to install it ) and the technician there said that he had the same problem on a toyota before and it was because there was a "key sensor wire" that he didnt hook up on it, he said hes only ever had to hook it up on toyotas. Does that sound right to anyone? Im getting irritated because I paid to have this installed so I wouldn't have to worry with any problems, but I feel im having to do all the research trying to figure out the problem!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When installing a DEI(viper,clifford,and so on) while using a Xpresskit (dball, dball2, etc) the key sense wire should not be hooked up. It WILL cause issues. Im not sure on the iDatalink on the key sense but usually the bypass people copy each other so this might be something to look at.

I have seen similar issues where the DEI would not send data out to the immobilizer or the immobilizer would not read the data. It would work for weeks, fail, and just start working again. All of the remote start functions, like IGN ON, CRANK, etc will work as those are standard protocol and will always cycle even if the immobilizer fails because they are wired from the RS and do not come from the bypass. Depending on what features they used from the bypass (hood sensor, brake, tach, etc) usually these will fail at the same time IF they bypass is not responding.

On the tundra, the vehicle must unlock the doors, remote start, re-lock the doors. We have seen issues here as well. I do not use the bypass to control locks in Toyota's. It is best to have the Alarm/RS/Keyless do the locking and unlocking. The bypass sometimes over complicates these items and if the timing isn't right (truck took longer to start) the doors will lock to fast thus killing the fuel/factory immobilizer causing a no start issue.

A real quick test to verify some wiring practices:
Sit in truck
Keys out of ignition
RS Truck
While the truck is cranking, if it doesn't start and continues to crank, press FOOT BRAKE
Did the RS shutdown?

Reactions: 2012CMINCO
21 - 25 of 25 Posts