Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always research crash tests before I decide on a new vehicle. The kinetic energy displaced throughout a vehicle built today under the newest safety standards is truly amazing.

Part of the…perks…..I guess you can say… with my job is I get first hand experience with how vehicles measure up in accidents. It's always neat to take note on how well a vehicle did in a severe accident where the vehicle sustained major damage and the occupants suffered little if any injury.

Here is how our truck stacks up…

Frontal

Side

Pole

:)

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,609 Posts
I always figured my family would be pretty safe in the Tundra. Looks like I was right. That's also why I gave my son my old one when he started driving. The trade in money would've been nice, but I didn't feel safe putting him in some beater.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately, I've seen how safe the Tundra can be first hand. One of the trucks we run (fully loaded W900 Kenworth with a steel oilfield bumper) had a frontal offset crash with a Tundra (Tundra driver fell asleep). When I arrived on scene, I didn't even know it was a Tundra. Only the tailgate gave the make and model away. Driver of the Tundra survived with some injuries but I'll never forget the passenger door opening and closing perfectly on that Yota after it got hammered by the KW.

Unreal.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also see a lot of bad accidents at my work and have to report on damages, its very rare to see a Yoda there, a lot more ford/chev ..That is a scary f-150 crash test above....yikes

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if they'll do the small offset test with the Tundra. This is the 25% overlap that all small cars and a bunch of mid size cars are failing.
Yeah they did it and it passed. I can't find the video though. I've seen it though…..

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
what's up with the really low frontal?

I thought it was high for 2013, kinda odd.

maybe all that chrome folds up too easy>:D
I though it was odd too. When I went back and looked, the rating was low for a male driver but high for a female passenger... I then saw this note at the bottom: "Note: A high driver dummy head injury value was measured in the frontal crash test, which indicates a higher likelihood of head injury. The agency plans to further evaluate this incident"

Maybe it something to do with the particular test dummy? IDK

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would say the truck stands up pretty well....

I was parked, in park 10 feet from the road, engine off in a drive way off a major highway here. the truck hit me in the side, I flipped once, landed 30 something feet from point of impact. the truck that hit me was a Toyota t100 1998 model . his speedometer was stuck on 81 mph, so they think he was going faster than that. he flipped a total of 7 times they say
I had 5 broken ribs, dislocated jaw, concussion, collapsed and pulmonary bruise on left lung, back f'd up, knee torn up. both lips were busted and such, and I woke up on the backboard on the way to the hospital.. my fiance' was in passenger seat, she was thrown from their into the backseat area after we flipped, she was blessed and didn't get too hurt.

impact was so bad, my xm module for my pioneer headunit was mounted to the crossbar in the dash, and the impact bent the crossbar a inch or so, and busted the xm module. a-pillar was pushed over im guessing 3" or more because in the center of the dash board was cracked and pushed downward. every piece of the dash that can come off, pretty much did.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
jesus dude,

glad you ok

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just updated pics , sorry, comp acting retarded

·
Registered
219 Posts