Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'14 Tundra crewmax 2 wheel drive. What is the life expectancy of the brake pads? Very light towing. I have 34k miles and am starting to get a slight vibration under braking and heard a slight squeak from the front end. For those that have already done pads did you go back with OEM pads, or what did you use?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Define light towing - what your pulling is light? Or you do not tow often? Do you have a trailer brake controller w/ a trailer w/ brakes?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Light towing is a boat under 4k lbs maybe twice a month no more than 10 miles round trip. Boat trailer has surge brakes. No brake controller on truck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hmmm I have 11k miles on my truck. I pull about the same weight as you but 3-4 month (approx 80miles each time) with no trailer brakes....So i am interested in what people say as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do the same quantity of towing but I do it with a 9k pound trailer. I am at 35K miles and 2 days ago started to hear a light chatter clip sound. I will be going to dealer on Friday for oil change, rotation, and brakes if needed. I have been pleased with the factory brakes. I will let you all know what they find and the damage to the Visa when all is said and done..... Happy Memorial Day to all military families.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
It is like how many miles you get from your tires. It is all about you. How you use and abuse them. And the brakes on a 14 are the same as any other 2nd gen. Just brouse the threads and see what others have gotten

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have 70K on my 2013 and I just got the squeak. 95% hwy miles and I have only towed about 10 times or so. (nothing heavy)
No vibration to speak of.

I am going to replace with Wagner OEx

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tow approximately 7500# trailer 6 times a year with my 2015 cm. Just passed 30k and decided to change my pads just to be safe. Didn't hear a squeal or anything. Original pads were a little more than half worn. Rotors looked good, so only switched the pads out. Went with Toyota pads, because last time I went cheap changing the wife's car's pads, I paid for it in the form of copius amounts of brake dust, and they seem to run hotter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took my 2015 in for the 32,000km service a few months ago.

Brakes were at a pad thickness of 9/11mm on all four wheels. I was told that this was very good. He said at this mileage most Tundras are at around 6/11. I think he had said you have to think about replacing around 2/11, but I may be incorrect on that one.

I tow somewhat often, but trailer has electric brakes, so I don't imagine the towing wears on the brakes at all. I tend to stop with plenty of time - never tailgate or slam on the brakes hard (unless I need to: deer, cars, kids, etc). Also go up the mountain 5 or 6 times a year, but most of our driving is city, lots of stop and go, so pretty happy with minimal brake wear.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have an 08, and had very little towing. My rear pads wore out in probably 75k miles and I replaced them with some from Advance Auto (don't remember the name, but they have been doing fine). The fronts I replaced at 103k miles. I forgot they were lower and when I was having the timing belt and water pump replaced on my 4.7, I had them go ahead and do the front brakes as well. They went back with the factory pads and I have been pleased with those as well. Currently, I have 124k on my truck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2013 DC. No towing at all, but, I'm a contractor and my bed is completely full with approximately 1,000 lbs of tools, etc. 24/7.

Obviously, I know that is completely different than towing but worth mentioning. Anyway, my original front brake pads lasted 75,000 miles and the original rears still have 50% left.

I've never had brake pads last this long!!! Awesome!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 14 and tow 1 of 2 different boats 5 days a week.
Just replaced my pads and turned rotors at 67k.
Replaced with the same oem pads.
I didn't wait for any noise or indication for the need to replace.
The pads were ready for replacement.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have a 2013 DC. No towing at all, but, I'm a contractor and my bed is completely full with approximately 1,000 lbs of tools, etc. 24/7.

Obviously, I know that is completely different than towing but worth mentioning. Anyway, my original front brake pads lasted 75,000 miles and the original rears still have 50% left.

I've never had brake pads last this long!!! Awesome!
It took 13 posts but THIS ^^^ is what I was expecting to read/see. I've driven Toyotas exclusively since 1985 and always get 100,000 miles + out of the front pads from Mama Toyota.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tow a 7500 lb trailer 3 or 4 times a year and just replaced both front and rear brakes and rotors at 160,000 km or 100,000 miles. Was very impressed with this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 14 crew max 1794. 35000 miles and I have squeel and light shimmy from when braking. Had balance and alignment done 1500 miles ago. Not happy with the shimmy as I don't my new tires to wear bad?? Anyone else have warped rotors at this point?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts