Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in need of everyone's help. I am an automotive journalist and associate editor at Tundraheadquarters. I have been invited to a special media preview of the 2014 Tundra and 4Runner. This will be the first media driving event with the truck. It is anticipated that all the EPA fuel economy, towing and payload capacity numbers will be unveiled. I would like to compile a list of really good questions and I need your help. What do you want to know?

Fire away with your comments/questions here or over at Tundraheadquarters.com

Here is the link to the post: http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...driving-event/

Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
Ask them what the hell they were thinking? Ask which designer is secretly in love with the Honda Ridgeline? Why did they copy Ford's interior? Did they redesign the steering rack? Have they ditched the AIP?

·
Registered
452 Posts
x2 on the what the hell were they thinking. Not gonna buy one for a loooong time with the way it looks. Its really going to have to grow on me over time. Also x2 on the AIP. I went through this and feel nothing was or has been done to fix this issue. Oh and ask when they are going to put a 6.5' bed on a crewmax........ Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
AIP.
Steering rack.
Paint.
Drive shaft (think that one might be fixed by now).
Me - don't need nor want nary rear window to open - at all (is that an option?).
No problem with copying the best of Ford, Ram, etc. just get it right.
Toyota is great at giving interior space in small vehicles - but Tundra is HUGE outside too. A wish for 2015, later maybe.

Reliability. Reliability. Etc. Not saying Tundra is not reliable, but, reliability is #1.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Toyota. Com states the payload is increased to 2k.... why haven't they increased the classification to 3/4 ton considering it's geared and sized the same as(close to or better than) the big 3?

sent from my Galaxy S4

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask them what the hell they were thinking? Ask which designer is secretly in love with the Honda Ridgeline? Why did they copy Ford's interior? Did they redesign the steering rack? Have they ditched the AIP?
I spoke with a Toyota rep the other who said he loved the look and was "shocked" that I said not everyone agrees. Definitely some different opinions on that one.

The AIP issue will definitely be brought up.

Can you clarify your statement about the steering rack?

Tim

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
x2 on the what the hell were they thinking. Not gonna buy one for a loooong time with the way it looks. Its really going to have to grow on me over time. Also x2 on the AIP. I went through this and feel nothing was or has been done to fix this issue. Oh and ask when they are going to put a 6.5' bed on a crewmax........ Thanks.
I have asked before on the 6.5' bed. My feeling is this, if GM sells a lot of this configuration over the smaller bed Toyota may consider it.

From the manufacturing side, I also have questions that Toyota could offer it and make money.

In the end, it is based on customer feedback. So far, I have been told it isn't a large issue. Don't kill the messenger. :)

Tim

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
just search " blown steering rack" you'll be reading for hours

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AIP.
Steering rack.
Paint.
Drive shaft (think that one might be fixed by now).
Me - don't need nor want nary rear window to open - at all (is that an option?).
No problem with copying the best of Ford, Ram, etc. just get it right.
Toyota is great at giving interior space in small vehicles - but Tundra is HUGE outside too. A wish for 2015, later maybe.

Reliability. Reliability. Etc. Not saying Tundra is not reliable, but, reliability is #1.
On reliability, one of the big complaints is that the 2014 didn't have enough new, cool features. The reason? Toyota says they didn't feel comfortable with the long-term reliability of some of the items other makers were trying like Ram.

Tim

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Can you clarify your statement about the steering rack?

Tim

Where you been man?

The rack is crap. They're failing left and right
^^^:yesnod:

Hmm... That is the first I have heard. Do you have any links or stories from owners. I have contacts at Toyota I can send them by and also write a post about it.

Tim

Merry Christmas...grab a case of beer and some popcorn...

33 pager:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...ower-steering-rack-failure-lifted-trucks.html

6 pager:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...vestigating-steering-rack-leakage-issues.html

3 pager:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...reliability-power-steering-just-blew-out.html

Us 2007-2009 guys are lucky, we have the "good" racks :D Ours don't fall apart. Seems only on the 2010+ trucks that this junk is falling apart. The permanent solution for some guys seems to be having a re-manufactured 2007-2009 steering rack installed on their 2010+ trucks...that should be enough information right there, for Toyota to own up to the fact that the steering racks on the 2010+ trucks are absolute garbage ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2010 they changed manufacture's. A lot of trucks are having blown racks... stock & lifted
ah-ha, now I remember. I wrote a post a while back on this (sorry, I don't have the link at the moment using my iPhone). Really it was a Toyota requesting information if any dealer noticed this. The people I spoke with hadn't and treated it as a non-issue.

If anybody has first-hand experience, please email their story at [email protected].

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
608 Posts
Reactions: testerdahl

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Ask about bearring failures the front and rear axles.

Ask about drive shaft issues (bump from behind)

1 - 20 of 259 Posts