Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here. I've had my 2014 Tundra for 2 years now and recently started experiencing some transmission issues that ultimately led to the dealer giving me a new transmission under warranty.

The truck: SR5 TSS with 49k as of today. No mods, lifts, etc. Bone stock.

The issue: I noticed a "knocking" or "clunking" noise when I would press the brakes. Sometimes it was an immediate "clunk" and sometimes it would be a noticeable downshift "clunk" as I came to a stop.
I had another dealership do a transmission diagnostics on it a few months ago and they couldn't find anything. So I took it to my local Toyota dealer, told them what I was experiencing, and they call me back a few hours later informing me they're ordering a new tranny under warranty.

Just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar situation? I know the 4x4 Tundras are notorious for either an ABS "clunk" during breaking or a transfer case clunk of sorts, from what I've read on here in the past.

Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Someone at your local oil changing shop probably mistakenly removed your transmission drain bolt instead of the oil pan drain bolt, then quickly replaced it after realizing oil isn't supposed to be red.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
This is only theory, but it could be possible Toyota would want to do a durability breakdown for R&D purposes. It's amazing what the Toyota warranty covers, even if it could be the result of poor maintenance or negligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Would have been my 1st guess, too. All "local oil changing shops" are terrible.
Oh... I own a "local oil change shop". Perhaps I did it.
Gotta go....another car to damage.
Fact... some Tundra owners are morons.

Someone at your local oil changing shop probably mistakenly removed your transmission drain bolt instead of the oil pan drain bolt, then quickly replaced it after realizing oil isn't supposed to be red.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Would have been my 1st guess, too. All "local oil changing shops" are terrible.
Oh... I own a "local oil change shop". Perhaps I did it.
Gotta go....another car to damage.
Fact... some Tundra owners are morons.
So this dude is a moron for having a transmission failure? Not sure I follow the logic here...

However, I would imagine that if the dealer was a good dealer, the first thing they would check is trans fluid level and condition at operating temp. To the OP, did they do that?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Was quoting my3sons not OP.
You jumped the gun.
Grew up in Western Mass. Ludlow
You?

So this dude is a moron for having a transmission failure? Not sure I follow the logic here...

However, I would imagine that if the dealer was a good dealer, the first thing they would check is trans fluid level and condition at operating temp. To the OP, did they do that?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You jumped the gun.
You?
I knew who you quoted, thought you were implying it was OP's fault for the trans issue. Now you're implying my3sons is a moron for suggesting someone messed up the OP's truck?

Westfield area for me. Moving to Newington CT in three weeks, looking forward to the change in scenery.

BTW, NOT trying to fight with ya. But it's been documented on here the SOME oil change place(s) have removed the wrong plug a time or two. Nobody said it was your place, but it has happened...

·
Registered
177 Posts
You jumped the gun.
You?
I'm thinking the only moron here is the one that grew up in Western Mass and if your head wasn't so far up your SJW Democratic Ass you would have realized I was making light of the situation.
It's Ahole's like you that get personal on TT that are just big scumbags and a total societal drag.
"Oh, he's a moron, I grew up in Western Mass. Ludlow. You?"
That about says it all regarding your schoolgirl twist
So, FU FROM TEXAS! we don'y play that game here!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow.
1st you make the assumption that a local "oil change shop" is probably responsible for OPs trans failure.
2nd you assume that being born in Western Mass that I am a "SJW Democratic Ass".
You say that I get "personal"?
Then you misquote me. (I never said "He's a moron")
You make blanket, untrue statements about others and become angry when you're called out on it.
Steers and queers ring a bell?

I'm thinking the only moron here is the one that grew up in Western Mass and if your head wasn't so far up your SJW Democratic Ass you would have realized I was making light of the situation.
It's Ahole's like you that get personal on TT that are just big scumbags and a total societal drag.
"Oh, he's a moron, I grew up in Western Mass. Ludlow. You?"
That about says it all regarding your schoolgirl twist
So, FU FROM TEXAS! we don'y play that game here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.