Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2014 Ram VS Tundra Consumer Reports

37K views 147 replies 33 participants last post by  harvickman29 
#1 · (Edited)
So im deciding to join the tundra family this September up here in Alaska, excited would be an understatement. I have always loved the tundra since Gen 1 and will take a good look at the 14 body style when I can see it in person.

At work today I read this article fresh off the press from consumer reports on the new 1500 Ram. Up here in Anchorage the tundra family is strong I would say I see them everywhere, but rams are popping up quite a bit. My coworker drives a new Laramie 1500 and wow it's a nice truck. But looks to me is not as important reliability and we all know thats what Toyota is really known for, but this article states otherwise..

Im a firm believe in trying out the competition and Sept I will drive the ram line and take a good strong look. I will also take a good look at the 14 and if Im not a fan of the body style of the 14 Platinum and interior i will get a great deal on the 13. One way to look at it is I'm in a great situation for the truck I've been waiting for in whatever my decision is. Any insight on this link below?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323848804578608172180410736.html

"If the link makes you register just type 2014 Tundra into google NEWS and hit time of a day "24hr" and you will see it on the wall street news"

See less See more
#7 ·
I can't really accept any sentence with the words "Ram" and "top" in the same sentence unless said sentence also contains "failure." I have a bad track record with Dodge and would drive a Prius before I bought another one.

Simply my opinion
What about?? The ram had a set of horns on top of his head.

:D

Reactions: Wacked
#4 ·
That is what i wanted to get out of this thread to hear the track record of Ram. As stated in my original post I'm excited to join the tundra thread. But there is nothing wrong with comparing the competitor towards the Tundra. When buying anything at this high of value I feel like it's a necessity to check other brands. I'm just wondering where consumer reports comes up with this data?

#5 ·
my 2005 ram with 54k on it costed me more in maint. costs than my tundra has in 75k... in 54k, i replaced a rear end, front diff, transfere case, a wheel bearing, lower right ball joint, and both upper control arms. not to mention 3 egr valves, all the lifters, and timing chain guides, AND brakes front and rear twice.

the tundra on the other hand has had 2 air filters, oil changes, and i am putting brakes on it when i get home for mid tour. it also had worse fuel economy than my tundra. so dollar for dollar the tundra has saved me money long term.

#6 ·
The hemis pull like a freight train in high rpm, but not low rpm, the transmissions are an embarrassment to the truck world, compared to fords SD trannies with the fully manual mode. "Not the only reason they are better for hauling purposes" First gear is very high "or low depending on how you look at it. But coming off a stoplight you might as well be in second gear. I have hemis, cummins, and all other sorts of truck at work, that I drive daily. And for hauling heavy loads the dodge hemi setup has left out some key factors. Especially the tow/haul mode which has become very important nowadays. I would throw money at a ford before dodge any day, simply for ease of operation and functional purposes. Please take a good hard look at the hemis before you commit. There's nothing worse than supporting a brand that doesn't best serve the more functional purpose of a truck at the end of the day. ie, low rpm torque, proper gearing for the tranny, suspension that doesn't feel overwhelmed by moderate loads. Good luck with your search!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#28 · (Edited)
The hemis pull like a freight train in high rpm, but not low rpm, the transmissions are an embarrassment to the truck world,
not any more. The ZF 8 is the best I have ever driven. this is new for 2013 though. also the VVT hemi with 395 hp 407 lbs and the 3.92 rear with the gears in the 8-speed, freakin PULL all the way through

this is from the latest test which was just done a PUTC. This ram only had 3.55s as well. you don't post times like that without great low end torque, especially pulling 8500 lbs. If it was the 3.92 Ram it would have done even better as I drove both and bought the 3.92. Trust me, it moves...

#10 ·
#11 ·
Just make sure when you read that thread you also look at post like mine...Guys who have had the "new" RAM and also an 06 Dodge Power WAgon....I had terrible issues also stated in that thread....I was once also hardcore RAM and thought it was the best truck on the road, that was until they both started falling apart beforem 20k miles...If your looking for a truck to keep a year or the RAM is okay at tops...ANything you want over 20k miles on I wouldn't dare buy one....I HOPE I'm wrong but I have a deep feeling those ole boys on that thread will find out before long just what I'm saying...No way so may people have SO many problems with those trucks...It's funny because I was looking at alot of trucks when I bought the 06 and this guy at the lot told me " Fair warning stay they hell away from Dodge/Chrysler/RAM" boy should I have listened, not once but they got me twice...I have bought houses boats ATV's had my home burn down, just saying I have dealt with alot and I PROMISE you no experiance in my life has been worse than dealing with those 2 trucks. Forget the fact that they don't hold up, but when you have so many issues every dealer in your area say you need to get Chrysler in on this and then Chrysler's advise is to sell it or get a lawyer AND I still have bumper to bumper warranty, you know there is an issue! PLEASE BE AWARE OF RAM....

#14 ·
Heheheeee, Harv, I think we must have been typing at the same time today! Now, after reading how Chrysler and dealers treated you, man, I'm gone from them! That's the reason I'm here! Those bad experiences can really hurt a company! They told you to get a lawyer? Wow. Just plain out old - shoot, that ain't nary good.

#12 ·
T2014, I'm leaning Tundra, but like you, I will give them all a good test, and keep reading on all these forums trying to get an idea of problems owners are having with all brands. Frankly, I'm not seeing much difference among different makes regarding what owners are complaining about. In spite of some individual owners' problems with Dodge/Tundra/F150/GM, they are all seeming like pretty good trucks to me. When a person has a problem, man, that's BAD! And they squeal, as I would too. So far for me, I might just buy based on which dealer I like the best. I still haven't checked out a new Tundra. Only Ford so far. I've got time though... Good place to be.

Reactions: Breathing Borla
#15 ·
Some great info here on this forum. I'm so surprised to here some of these reports, my buddy who owns a new ram knows about these problems and purchased the bumper to bumper warranty and boast about it. Looks like from reading this blog people still have problems even when they purchase the warranty, that's not a good way of doing business. The ball is in my court come September, I'm excited.

Because we are on the subject of warranties i know its comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper with the tundra i believe. Are people purchasing extended warranties with these?

Thanks for all your replies!

#38 ·
I will say from experience as well, voided warranties and get a lawyer was told to me too at 50k miles. I have had two dodge trucks, 02 and 05. With just the repairs I could have bought a nice low mileage corvette c6 for my wife too....and I'm not joking. I had almost 15k in my 02 with 172k miles and it needed around 6k more. My 05 had a dealership lead mechanic wad up my cummins motor, and then they couldn't fix it after weeks. This came out of my wallet (head removed and repaired, 4 sets of injectors- look up that cost, hint...405 each x 6x4, new turbo, cp3 injection pump and lift pump, front end, u-joints) and that was all before 75k miles. When I dumped it the trans was going south (another 3600.00).

I will never ever own another pos dodge product again. Only Chrysler product I will own is a Jeep wrangler, and that is only because I rip all the drivetrain out and put one ton axles and heavy duty components.

I wouldn't even recommend a dodge to someone I hate and would love to see die a long death.

#16 ·
Yeah Gene we must have been haha. I think some guys on here thought bought RAMS think I'm just trying to smash them...I'm being as sincere as can be...I'm 33 6`5 290lbs and felt like crying half the time dealing with them...I know it sound funny saying that but man I just can't explain how helpless I felt...it was always some excuse about how these trucks do this or do that...I was like come on man! So im just supposed to accept this? I was as loyal as could be to those trucks. Took excellent care of them. The last issue the damn thing would barely start with 20 k miles on it...I dealt with this issue for over a year not to mention all the other stuff...I asked Chrysler what can I do and was told to sell or get a lawyer..I asked seriously? They said what else do you want us to do we can't fix it....I was just floored...I said you know I am on my second one now because the first one was so messed up the dealer was scared to drive it...(20k some miles too) I.spent 44 k and this is your answer...so that's why I feel the way I so...embarrassed, helpless and frustrated...I.hate to see some of these guys talk about all the little do dads on their new RAM, haha yeah that stuff isn't squat when the truck don't hold up...I'm only offering my honest advise and I feel sorry for anyone who gets suckered into buying their truck....it's obvious there are so many people that have those same issues....okay I'm done, just trying to give guys a heads up...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
in my younger days when i worked for a dodge dealership, we got the very first 2009 (first year of current body) ram in the state of NC, went to the rail yard to throw it on the hauler and guess what... doesnt start... first one in the state, and it already needed a starter with 0 miles on the odemeter

#22 ·
Ive never bought a vehicle/motorcycle based off of a review from others. Motorcycles are the toughest because you can't typically test ride them. Ram's have never been known for reliability and the new ones JUST came out so how can one predict how reliable or if they are going to have problems, they guess. As for the non profit comment, so is American Red Cross and the CEO or whatever you want to call him pulls a salary of over 1 million dollars per year.. Somewhere in consumer reports ppl are swayed by money and that's why I cancelled my subscription to them years ago, items they say are junk have lasted me far longer than others they say are great.

#23 ·

I'm still trying to figure out how there can be consumer reports on 2 trucks that haven't even hit the dealer lots yet, let alone have consumers report on them.
The 2013 RAM is a complete redo. We'll just have to let the guinea pigs drive them for a year or 2 and see how they fair.
BreathingBorla has one and loves it so far.
For the 2014 tundra, all you have to do is look to the 07-2013 tundra for a track record. It's the exact same truck. The body and interior design are just cosmetic changes and nothing more than a matter of taste. The truck itself is the same.

#26 ·
You can expect when asking for advise for a RAM at a tundra board that you'll get negative info. Don't let any one talk you out of a RAM. I've owned 1st and 2nd gen Tundra's. Afterwards a 2010 RAM hemi and now a RAM cummins. I prefer a RAM over a Tundra, but I don't say that because the Tundra is bad. Just a matter of experience. No problems with the RAM. And non with the Tundra. Also drove a few Landcruisers, but at this moment the RAM cummins is my favorite. The new RAM is more up to date than the new Tundra is...

#27 ·
So im deciding to join the tundra family this September up here in Alaska, excited would be an understatement. I have always loved the tundra since Gen 1 and will take a good look at the 14 body style when I can see it in person.

At work today I read this article fresh off the press from consumer reports on the new 1500 Ram. Up here in Anchorage the tundra family is strong I would say I see them everywhere, but rams are popping up quite a bit. My coworker drives a new Laramie 1500 and wow it's a nice truck. But looks to me is not as important reliability and we all know thats what Toyota is really known for, but this article states otherwise..

Im a firm believe in trying out the competition and Sept I will drive the ram line and take a good strong look. I will also take a good look at the 14 and if Im not a fan of the body style of the 14 Platinum and interior i will get a great deal on the 13. One way to look at it is I'm in a great situation for the truck I've been waiting for in whatever my decision is. Any insight on this link below?

Chrysler's Ram 1500 Tops Consumer Reports' Pickup Ranking - WSJ.com

"If the link makes you register just type 2014 Tundra into google NEWS and hit time of a day "24hr" and you will see it on the wall street news"
here is mine, sweet rig. They have come a long way and the new ZF 8 speed is the nuts.

That said, you can't go wrong buying a tundra either if it fits your needs and you like the way the 2014 looks and the features it has.

I did not so I bought this...

#30 ·
I wonder which forums have more members and how many forums for each brand. You can only judge problems in forums if the ratio for trucks on the road to forum members is correct. I guess like me on here saying dodge is garbage is only a one owner versus millions of owners. I prefer to make my decisions on" real life" experiences, this is why I posted the video of my RAM starting on here, I didn't want guys to think I was only venting. And you know if you show back up with a 2014, I will be the first one to say something....I think it would only be appropriate if I did and hopefully you know it's just in fun.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#43 ·
You bring up a very good point. So let me elaborate a little if I may....

I was a moderator on a very popular dodge diesel site (not saying which one) and I speak from experience on how many people had serious issues. Most of the 12V cummins owners did ok, but those trucks are dated and ride like an empty lumber wagon. So then you get the 24V...lift pump issues, and of coarse it takes out the injection pump. So you get to put a nice aftermarket lift pump on like a FASS for a cheap 600.00 plus you newly rebuilt VP44 which was 1000.00. Now you can cuss and install this yourself or pay someone to do it at a tune of 700.00. Now the rebuilt IP are not as good as the new Bosch units except for Blue Chip pumps, but his are 2200+. Then you get to deal with maybe replacing the IP in 30k miles or less. I did one for 24k and it was time to drop the coin again. Now we can talk about the 47re transmissions that are total pieces of shit unless you drop about 3600-4200 into it. Your other great options is the NV4500 which has the 5th gear nut issue coming off or the NV5600. I went with the 5600 thinking it was bulletproof. I chose wrong. Now lets move to the brakes, which suck unless you had a 01-02 HO truck. Then we can go to the front axle...ball joints, tie rod ends, steering boxes. Have fun. Next we can chat about the crap interior. Don't even get me started on the climate controls and dash. That just makes me want to drop the f bomb. Paint sucks.
So lets move on to the 3rd generation dodge trucks (03-07.5 with 5.9 cummins or hemi). Injectors, injectors, injectors. Lift pumps still on back of fuel filter housing until late 05 and the installed inside the tank. 03 valve seats suck in the heads. If you pull hard, better not get over 1250 egts. Some people had issues with the dodge AAM axles in the first couple of years. 04.5 was the first year of the cummins 600 motor. The injection cycles that increased from 2-3 really played hell on them. Injectors injectors injectors.... The 48re auto was ok at best and the NV5600 was still an option until mid 05, the the G56 was offered. Both had their issues. In 06 dodge had a great idea to go to a can-bus system. Holy Fuk that was a lot of issues threw 07.
Now lets move to the 4th generation dodge. Interior was greatly improved. The new 6.7 was a pos for reliability. EGR, DFP filters having many failures. Now the so called awesome turbo with the exhaust brake was failing left and right. I have a mechanic friend in Baltimore that has a huge pile of these turbos due to all the failures. These are 3500.00 at the time and it was due to an actuator burning up that was not replaceable. These were prone to failure up to 09. 2010 was looking brighter. Mileage just blew ass unless you removed all the emissions stuff and voided all warranties, so your left with DFP issues (that is a 3k dollar problem) and sub par pulling comparison to ford and Chevy if all things are left stock.

Have fun with dodges, better have a thick wallet and a great set of tools or a friend with a shop and lift. I needed all three just to get me by.

#31 ·
I forgot to mention that we have the 2013 3500-5500 with six speeds, hemis and cummins. No 1500 with the eight speeds. The cummins are impressive with the integrated exhaust brake and aggressive tow haul mode. The one thing everyone notices around here is how the dodge trucks seem to wander significantly more on surfaces with poor traction. Compared to our ford and Chevy trucks. I think it might be do to the amount of caster the trucks come with.... Idk

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#35 ·
If mine did that it would be gone the next day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.