Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Yes.

I had a 2007 and 2010, both were JBL/NAV/Premium audio, and both blew the 2014 away.
Boy that sucks,

To the guy asking about bass caps, not a fan as they always wind up cutting midrange as well, also it just won't correct weak sub output. For the life of me I can't figure out why they want most of the bass coming out of the doors instead of the sub, they are bass akward

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took my 14 crewmax with JBL En tune system to a few stereo shops. Looking to upgrade the stock system, keep the the head unit and add an over head console TV.
Most shops recommended new door speakers with separate tweeters, 5 channel amp,new 10" box and low profile sub a sporccesor. They all wanted to leave the dash speakers as is.
Lowest price was $4200 and the highest price was $7600. Ouch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That is what I am afraid of.

Its just ridiculous as JBL just needs newer code in the DSP in the system and it would sound a lot better.

I am leaning toward this:

1. JBL MS-8 first
2. If that doesn't make it sound good enough for me, I will swap speakers
3. If not enough bass, will add a JL Sub

I took my 14 crewmax with JBL En tune system to a few stereo shops. Looking to upgrade the stock system, keep the the head unit and add an over head console TV.
Most shops recommended new door speakers with separate tweeters, 5 channel amp,new 10" box and low profile sub a sporccesor. They all wanted to leave the dash speakers as is.
Lowest price was $4200 and the highest price was $7600. Ouch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
JBL

Junk
But
Loud

I thought the system in my old tundra sucked as well, not sure why Toyota can't put a decent sound system in, they just don't get that the bass is supposed to come out of the sub, lol.

Its a Japanese company for dogs sake! Since when can't the Japanese put together a good piece of electronical equipment? Its not rocket surgery.

Look at this beauty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What is “promised” in the “JBL Entune” is simply not delivered to the customer.

This is surprising knowing first hand that truly first class audio systems cars/trucks have been around for years – even in many Toyota cars!

Combined with advanced electronic manufacturing it cost almost nothing to provide the promise to the customer. My dealer claims the head unit cost “thousands”. I certainly do not see how that is, when I do better at Radio Shack and $10.

Those of you that have used modern technologies for sound know what I am talking about and even this “old” article on Denon Audyssey is a case in point.

Denon AVR-5805: Audyssey and System Set Up | Audioholics

A $50 Audyssey “chip” for a $50,000 truck (or a $12,000 car) would easily provide the type of audio customers were expecting with their JBL Entune (all of which are missing):

1. A perfectly flat frequency response from 16hz to 20,000hz
2. Zero distortion
3. Zero coloration
4. Precise and accurate sound filed image – 100% missing from the Tundra
5. Clear and accurate representation of the human voice, whether it is talk radio, cell phone, or singing.
6. Clear solid, clean tight, pure undistorted bass

Those that have listen to a 7.1 BluRay with Audyssey with good amps and speakers know exactly what I am talking about.

There really is no excuse for low quality substandard audio in any Vehicle today.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update: I ordered a JBL MS-8 today, will have an installer put it in the truck in a week or so. I will update the thread with my thoughts on it.

Doing MS-8 first, then if that is not good enough will look for some speakers and an amp. I dont need to rattle house windows when I drive by, but want better sound.

JBL

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Update: I ordered a JBL MS-8 today, will have an installer put it in the truck in a week or so. I will update the thread with my thoughts on it.

Doing MS-8 first, then if that is not good enough will look for some speakers and an amp. I dont need to rattle house windows when I drive by, but want better sound.

JBL
That's awesome! !!! Can't wait to see the results!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
what he said ^

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bump for update.

Was driving my Fathers LR4 today with a Harman Kardon system and I must say, I have some serious stereo envy. Makes me upset to think about having to spend another 3k just to get a decent sounding stereo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm collecting parts to build my 14 stereo up as well. Turns out, almost nothing I had in my 12 will transfer. Got sub, got sub amp, looking for mid/highs amp and new door/dash speakers. any suggestions there? I want them to direct fit/bolt in. No custom cutting or anything. Also, Any pointers on bypassing the factory amp setup. I have a line driver, but i'm thinking of something like the signal processor rockford makes the 3sixty.3.

·
Registered
138 Posts

JBL
Anxiously awaiting your comparison!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Its gonna be a while, the vendor has yet to ship my MS-8.

Also, last night a deer decided to test out my 2014 Platinum bumper and grille. So my truck is going to be in the body shop for a while over the next few weeks.

Anxiously awaiting your comparison!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I got the MS-8 installed, installer talked me into upgrading front door speakers to some Hertz brand speakers.

I am more than happy with it, it will blow you out of the cab with volume, clear and amazing sound.

The cool thing is you hear the sound from all the speakers at the same time, it creates a full sound that defies description. My Audi S5 had a B&O stereo that was the best I have heard, this smokes that now.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts