Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I wanted to share my recent audio upgrade details so that others may benefit from doing the same. I spent countless hours researching this and using the information provided by several others who used other options for signal summing, wiring, and amplifying and I thank all for their input. From what I’ve seen and now heard this setup is one of the best options available for someone who wants a sound quality system in their Tundra Crew. Following are a few pictures, links, and details needed to complete the same replacement setup. Please note that I have the factory JBL Entune system which requires the JBL amp under the passenger seat to be maintained. This limits your options a bit, but essentially the Helix DSP P-Six is the answer to the problem I also give James Randy Taylor full credit for architecting this system, creating the box, and selling me the system. His service was great.

Here is a summary of what I did to move to a high sound quality system:
1. Installed Dynamat over all openings in doors and covered large holes in doors with hard plastic backing first.
2. Installed Dynamat across the interior behind the rear passenger seats.
3. Replaced the front door speakers with Helix E62C component 6.5 mids and tweets plus adaptor brackets.
4. Replaced the rear door woofers with Helix E6x 6.5 coaxial speakers.
5. Replaced the factory single JBL sub and box with two JL Audio 10W1-3 Subs.
6. Added a Helix DSP P-Six to sum the front mid-woofer, rear door, and sub channels and power all speakers in the doors and the subs.

Here are a few install notes:
1. The front door tweets are on the same channel as the left and right dash speakers so you don’t reuse their factory wires. I reused the front door factory woofer speaker wire which runs to the passive Helix E62c crossover which I mounted inside the door panel.
2. The three dash speakers will continue to get their signal from the factor JBL amp. All other speakers run off of the Helix.
3. I did not cut or splice a single factory wire to complete this install. By referencing the 2014 Factory Amp Wiring Diagrams and posts, as well as purchasing the mentioned wiring harnesses off of the internet I was able to plug and play after creating the wiring harnesses. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/373441-2014-factory-amp-wiring-diagram.html
4. I also leaned heavily on the thread created by MMichaelJ for insights for installing this system though I didn’t go as big as him with this system. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/519298-2014-crewmax-platinum-jbl-system-install.html
5. For power to the Helix amp I ran Ancor 4awg power direct from the battery to the amp.
6. Cost is approximately $2K.
7. I would budget 5-8 hours to install the system and a couple hours to solder together the wiring harnesses beforehand to make the system plug and play so you don’t have to cut or splice into any of the factory wiring.
8. Amp mounts under the seat using factory mounts on the JBL amp. No drilling required.
9. The only thing I modified permanently were the tweeter sail mounts in the front doors to hold the larger Helix tweeters. I was able to epoxy the new tweeters into the factory mounts. If desired in the future (which would make no sense) I could buy new Toyota sail panels for $60.

Sound is top-notch out of the system with no recognizable distortion increase from the summing and configurability is great using the Helix DSP-tool on my windows laptop. All door rattle, clipping, woofer buzz is eliminated. System is significantly louder, but not obnoxious. This is a sound quality improvement I also purchased a UMMK-1 Minidsp microphone to use with the DSP software to help fine tune the sound using the RTA embedded within the DSP-tool. Following are pictures of the amp mounted under the seat. Other threads have covered the rest with pictures and info. And again, thanks to all those before me for providing the info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Great post! I have a Helix DSP Pro waiting for install this winter. Could you give any more details on the tuning process? I was considering getting the UMMK-1 as well to make life easier.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can download the Helix DSP-Tool for free and demo it without connecting to one of their DSPs. Once you've done that you can click on the RTA function button within the tool and see the screen. As far as the mic goes you just place it within the cab where you sit or on top of the console at ear height. You play pink noise from a CD or download, the mic picks it up and gives you the frequency curve of the speaker(s) being tested. Then you use the DSP software based EQ to adjust towards a reference line or a neutral sound. Its an iterative process until you get the sound curve you are looking for. After thats complete you can tune with your ear using music for personal preference. It thats sounds complicated it really isn't. You get the hang of it rather quickly and Helix/Audiotec Fischer provides a good guide online to steer you right.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Thanks! We're on Macs, so I bought a cheap, throw away PC and put the DSP Tool on it a few months ago, but I haven't played around with it and didn't realize there is a demo on it. Thanks for that info, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So did you tap into the signal going to the factory amp, or into the amplified speaker outs from the factory amp? BTW, Nice choice in the P-SIX DSP!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
High-level/amplified signal from the factory JBL amp for the sub, rear doors, and front door wooofers was used in this setup.

·
Registered
2020 Tundra TRD PRO
25 Posts
Looks good...i went with Helix products myself...do you have any more pics of the setup???

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you needing to see? I can probably snap a photo of something if you need a reference. The setup is still going strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts