Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TRD Pro
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stoked to take delivery of a 2021 TRD Pro last month after a 4 month wait, but the "premium" JBL sound system has just got to go!

I've been researching audio systems, and have made these decisions thus far:
  • Keep stock head unit
  • Replace and/or disconnect all stock JBL speakers
  • Add JL Audio sub box behind back seat
  • Replace stock JBL amp w/ 1 or 2 amps
  • Add sound/rattle deadening material wherever it is needed without going overboard
I listen to all types of music, but mostly listen to Rock, Reggae, and Acoustic Music and appreciate accurate sound reproduction vs. systems made primarily to go boom.

My budget it 3-4K, including installation. There are a half-dozen JL Audio Signature Dealers near SLC, Utah, and I will likely get recommendations & quotes from those dealers.

Before I talk to the local JL Audio dealers, would really appreciate anyone willing to share your build similar to one I am considering, why you made the choices you made, any problems you experienced, how much you spent (DM is fine), suggestions for getting the best price, and what you would do differently if you did it over again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
I haven't dealt with the JBL in my 17 Platinum yet. Jbl changes things, you need a really good processing unit to make it work well with the factory head unit.

I did swap everything in my 2010, and have looked at doing my current truck, and 6.5" works, but will need a mounting adapter. The factory is 6x9.

My 2010 I installed a JL HD900/5, a 13tw5 sub, later swapped to two Si Bm Mkiv 12's. Used D-Series Pioneer components front, D series 2-ways rear. Worked great.

The jbl adds several speakers, so I thought about using the components rear, and front, and replacing the dash speakers while there, and the center... That adds more channels and would have to run 2 amps to do it right.

I like JL components, but have had several vehicles with the D-series Pioneer, and saved some cash over going with a set of C5's. I have them in my beater car too. Upped the sub power to an HD750/1 to the same Stereo Integrity subs in the same truck box, thing is just nasty loud, and clear.

I would say to talk to James Randy Taylor at Tech12Volts, they specialize in Tundra's, but kinda seems unfair to say to call a company unless you're buying from him.

Reactions: SLC_Scott

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I hate to say this but you'll be disappointed to keep the stock head unit. it really is a crap signal. I tried that at first, it just wasn't very good.

after that I got the 4200 nex head unit and the rest of the stuff came alive.

also, you cant just disconnect the JBL "amp". its not a just a regular amp, nothing will work if you disconnect it. you would have to use it more like a preamp and then take the output into high level inputs on another amp, or add a DSP.

much better, I mean much better, to get aftermarket head unit (gain a bunch of features) and then run to an amp after that.

I have 2 JL amps and a 10"JL behind my seat. I added 3 way Focal up front and Focal in the rear.

it sounds awesome for what I listen to

·
Registered
2021 TRD Pro
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't dealt with the JBL in my 17 Platinum yet. Jbl changes things, you need a really good processing unit to make it work well with the factory head unit.

I did swap everything in my 2010, and have looked at doing my current truck, and 6.5" works, but will need a mounting adapter. The factory is 6x9.

My 2010 I installed a JL HD900/5, a 13tw5 sub, later swapped to two Si Bm Mkiv 12's. Used D-Series Pioneer components front, D series 2-ways rear. Worked great.

The jbl adds several speakers, so I thought about using the components rear, and front, and replacing the dash speakers while there, and the center... That adds more channels and would have to run 2 amps to do it right.

I like JL components, but have had several vehicles with the D-series Pioneer, and saved some cash over going with a set of C5's. I have them in my beater car too. Upped the sub power to an HD750/1 to the same Stereo Integrity subs in the same truck box, thing is just nasty loud, and clear.

I would say to talk to James Randy Taylor at Tech12Volts, they specialize in Tundra's, but kinda seems unfair to say to call a company unless you're buying from him.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

·
Registered
2021 TRD Pro
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to say this but you'll be disappointed to keep the stock head unit. it really is a crap signal. I tried that at first, it just wasn't very good.

after that I got the 4200 nex head unit and the rest of the stuff came alive.

also, you cant just disconnect the JBL "amp". its not a just a regular amp, nothing will work if you disconnect it. you would have to use it more like a preamp and then take the output into high level inputs on another amp, or add a DSP.

much better, I mean much better, to get aftermarket head unit (gain a bunch of features) and then run to an amp after that.

I have 2 JL amps and a 10"JL behind my seat. I added 3 way Focal up front and Focal in the rear.

it sounds awesome for what I listen to
Thanks. Lots of owners have echoed your recommendation about replacing the HU. After looking into it further, that appears to be the right way to go. I didn't realize you can maintain nearly all of the functionality of the non-audio systems.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Thanks. Lots of owners have echoed your recommendation about replacing the HU. After looking into it further, that appears to be the right way to go. I didn't realize you can maintain nearly all of the functionality of the non-audio systems.
you actually gain functions and information. I get tire pressures per tire, AT temp, all kinds of other stuff you dont get with stock

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those wanting to keep their head unit (JBL amp also).... look at the Rockford Fosgate DSR1.
I have been using this since 2018.... it intercepts the signal from the headunit, converts it into RCAs for my JL Audio 5 channel amp to use. Amp sits under passenger seat and I power component focal's in door and 3-1/2" focal's in dash (on front channel) and 6-1/2" component focal's in rear channel. I did a JL audio 10" in a box I made on the sub channel.

3 years later... I just ordered the bass knob for the DSR1 so I can fine tune the sub when listening to different genres.
It's been fail proof and perfect the entire time! PM me if you get this setup... somewhere i have some importable EQ files you can upload, these were made from calibrating the DSR1 with a studio grade microphone.

Almost forgot... other nice thing is.... not wire cutting. Uses Plug-N-Play harnesses so if you sale the truck, you can take your amp with you to next Tundra! or whatever you buy and plug the junker JBL amp back in.

Used the original amp rack to fab a new one from black cutting board material

This is calibrating the speakers to the distance from the driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts