Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After about 7 hours on the interstate I stopped to get gas. Once fueling was complete the truck would turnover but not start. I removed the negative battery terminal. I reseated the fuel pump relay. None of these events seemed to have a direct impact. After 15-20 minutes it finally started. I started the truck several times over the next few days with no issues until I got gas again. Pretty much a repeat of the first event.

After some research I suspected a possible immobilizer issue but had no starting issues. I was out of town so on my return home I left the engine running while refueling to avoid being stranded. A couple days after I returned home the truck issued a check engine light with codes related to EVAPORATIVE EMISSION LEAKS P0441 and P0455. The Auto Zone clerk said it might be from running with the cap off while refilling. I cleared the codes and ran down the last of the gas in the tank from the trip.

Today I went to a less busy filling station, anticipating a lengthy stall, and I refilled to about a gallon below full. The truck would turn over but not start. I tried waiting 15 minutes, 20 minutes thinking the error might time out. No success. I lifted the battery cable for a few minutes and tried unsuccessfully several times. After a total of about 40 minutes of not starting it finally started.

I've seen issues with fuel pump ECU and fuel pump itself. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have the dealership check your fuel density...its probably too high.. if its a flex fuel tundra.They just reset it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the purposes of archive, the problem was resolved by replacing the purge valve on top of the engine. $90 part at O'Reilly's. When the valve fails it allows gas tank vapors to get into air intake. Not sure exactly how that prohibits starting after refueling. I also observed about 1-1.5 mpg improvement after replacement. I originally thought my economy reduction was new tires but it was likely a failing purge valve reducing my mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts