Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 Tundra, CrewMax, 5.7V8 with tow package.

The 2x2 hitch we have been using to tow our ski boat has about 1/4-1/2" of play in it when it is installed into the receiver on my tundra. The boat weighs about 5,000 pounds and the tongue weight I believe is in the 5-600 range. I have only towed it short distances (1-2 Miles from storage yard and back) and I can hear the hitch moving up and down.

I visited a trailer guy in my area and he says it won't cause any damage, but it will be annoying and there isn't anything that can be done.

Anyone else have this issue or know a way to fix it. We use a standard 2x2 hitch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Could replace the insert/drop hitch... They wear over time with use... You can inspect it to see how worn it is. I have a hitch hook I made for my fj and it actually wore through quite a bit since 07, and that is without any weight on it. was U.S. steel too, most hitch inserts are cheap steel.

You could also get this...

Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
nah, tunders come with 2"

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would just get a new ball mount from Walmart. A little bit of play between the receiver and ball mount is normal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is that a 1/4-1/2" of movement at the ball? Mine has always had just the slightest of play when inserted into the hitch, but if you measure the movement at the ball then you get about that much. The longer the ball mount then the more movement. Sounds like yours is normal compared to all the hitches I've ever used.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Are you sure what you're hearing isn't the surge brakes on the trailer sliding out. Mine makes a loud clunk when I pull out from a stop but that's the brake releasing.

My 23' boat is about 6000 with the trailer so it should be similar.

Seems like if you really do have that much tongue weight, it would have to be really bouncing to get the hitch moving in that free play.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
When I tow my trailer empty is loud as hell, when loaded with 600 lbs still makes noises, not as bad, more solid noises instead of clanky.

Reactions: NightFlyer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure what you're hearing isn't the surge brakes on the trailer sliding out. Mine makes a loud clunk when I pull out from a stop but that's the brake releasing.

My 23' boat is about 6000 with the trailer so it should be similar.

Seems like if you really do have that much tongue weight, it would have to be really bouncing to get the hitch moving in that free play.
I am sure it is not the brakes releasing...I have heard it when I am already moving forward...I did hear it with all the windows down and radio off...since it was my first time towing the Tundra, I wanted to be sure to hear if anything was going wrong....maybe I should just turn the radio up and let it be...lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that a 1/4-1/2" of movement at the ball? Mine has always had just the slightest of play when inserted into the hitch, but if you measure the movement at the ball then you get about that much. The longer the ball mount then the more movement. Sounds like yours is normal compared to all the hitches I've ever used.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It is movement measure at the ball...We always towed with my parents suburban and I've never noticed play in their hitch when it is on the suburban, so this kind of caught me off guard and wanted to do some research on it and see what everyone else experiences have been. I'm off to the lake with it this weekend, 300 miles of towing one way, we'll see how she does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hitch...

It is movement measure at the ball...We always towed with my parents suburban and I've never noticed play in their hitch when it is on the suburban, so this kind of caught me off guard and wanted to do some research on it and see what everyone else experiences have been. I'm off to the lake with it this weekend, 300 miles of towing one way, we'll see how she does.
..I have a 2013 CM with tow package and have the the same play in mine,having towed a 6k trailer over 1700 miles I am sure you will be ok .The noise isn't as noticeable with a load on the hitch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts