Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just say that I've done the searching and I've read over a dozen posts regarding backup cams. I have a 2013 Tundra Crewmax equipped with the Homelink mirror without the 3.5in LCD. I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P4400HD.

I ran the violet/white wire which has the following description in the manual:

"Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shif is inthe REVERSE (R) position. This connection enables the unit to sense whether the car is moving forward or backward."

to the blue wire found in the passenger kick panel (please confirm if this is correct).

My dilemma is getting power at the tailgate. I've got the camera mounted and I do have the harness that's found next to the spare. However, I don't seem to have power in either of the black wires (black wire is power according to other posts/threads). I also put the truck in REVERSE to see if either of them would activate once in gear, but nothing happened.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I NEED to have another mirror that somehow powers those wires?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
So this is an aftermarket cam that requires 12V. The factory one uses 6V so if I remember correctly the wire in the stock harness would not work anyway. If you just want the cam to work while in reverse, use 12V from the bulb in the tail light assembly.

·
Registered
670 Posts
As Slate stated the OEM camera is 6v and an aftermarket one is 12v. The OEM display supplies power to the camera through the OEM harness. If you are not hooked into the OEM display you will need to supply power at the correct voltage to the camera. You can pick up power either from the reverse lights or the 7 pin connector (if you have the tow package).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Slate stated the OEM camera is 6v and an aftermarket one is 12v. The OEM display supplies power to the camera through the OEM harness. If you are not hooked into the OEM display you will need to supply power at the correct voltage to the camera. You can pick up power either from the reverse lights or the 7 pin connector (if you have the tow package).
Did exactly that. I tapped into the rear driver side lamp (pin 2 in harness) and got power from there. Thanks guys.

As far as mounting goes...
I filed the stock tailgate handle just enough to fit the camera through. I used an adhesive (think I had emblem glue laying around) to glue the camera at an angle, then taped it up within the housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts