Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Tundra build "PROJECT XU"

I bought this truck brand new in May 2013.
I decided before I bought that I did not want it stock, I also did not want to cut the cross member on the frame. That brought me to the 12" Bulletproof lift.
I ordered it and didn't look back. Took about a month to get it because it is built to order, but well worth the wait.
I'll try to post a lot of pics of the build as I go along!

Here it is stock, the day I bought it...boring...:disappointed:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the Amp Research Powersteps in first, they were actually very easy to install as they bolt to the factory mounting bolts under the truck. Wiring them up was a little more involved but still easy. I like how they came with LED's to light up the steps when you open the door.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the wheels in, my wife ordered these for me for a Fathers Day surprise, they are Fuel 24x12 deep lip series, and are CNC drilled from blanks. I guess wheels this size are hard to find with a 5x150 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I know which wheels I'm running, I ordered the tires, and I wanted 40's. An obvious choice since only one company makes a 40 for a 24" wheel is Interco. I ordered the SS-M16 40x14.5R 24 set. These things are beast!

Time to take everything down to get mounted and balanced:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lift took about a month to arrive, was well packaged, and came with everything except the instructions. I called Brian @Bulletproof and he emailed them to me but they are pretty much useless anyway. Everything is pretty strait forward and I referenced to Punch's build (Thanks Punch!) for a few details.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did change my order with Bulletproof and got the 10" springs instead of the 9" that comes with the kit since I didn't want to use blocks. I could've used different shackles, but figured I would start out with the bigger springs (they didn't cost any extra $$). I just wanted to clear 40's without going to crazy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Basically, everything had to come out.
The calipers, rotors, hub bearing assembly, spindles, tie rod ends, upper control arms, lower control arms, anti-sway bar, coilovers, etc...
The CV shafts stay connected to the differential as the whole unit will have to come out anyway.
By the way, the cv axle nut uses a 39mm socket! Not a 38mm as stated in the instructions!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a transmission jack to lower it down from under the truck being careful not to damage the CV shafts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bolting on the differential to the cage relocates it under the cross member, this is why there is no cutting involved here.
FYI The cage is a complete b**** to get it to seat into the factory lower control arm location! It would not fit until I used a grinder to smooth out some of the factory welds that were crappy up in that area.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Once the cage is in, all the suspension components are installed.
Tip: The Fox coilovers will have to be adjusted all the way down in order to get the upper control arm and the steering knuckle to join.
This is alsothe time to scrap the OE brake lines and put the SS braided lines on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The rear was very easy and took a few hours to install the Atlas Leafs, u-bolts, Fox shocks and upper mounts, carrier bearing drop bracket, and the SS braided brake lines.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My buddy Tony loading the truck up on a flatbed to get the alignment, it would have shredded the tires if I didn't have it towed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided since the truck was going to be high, I installed lots of white SMD LED's on each side above the step so when you open the door it lights up the ground and the step. I have little kids and I want them to see what they are jumping down to!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Everything is finally finished and I have to say it actually rides really good.
I thought for sure it would ride bad but I can say it's somewhat comparable to factory.
The balancing beads work great, I've had it up to 75mph with no issues at all.
The coilovers soak up the big dips we have on our highways and road here too.
I did not have to do any trimming on anything to turn the wheels and the coilovers are cranked up about 2/3 of the way.
The pictures really do no justice as everything looks proportioned (wheel/tire combo with the size lift).

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
Thanks for sharing, that's a lot of truck bro. And you did it all w/o a lift! Excellent step by step process, although I know there was plenty more involved. Glad it rides nice, the 1/3 ya got left on the coils keep it from being super stiff. Enjoy it man, money well spent. A lot of money! Go big or go home, lol

Reactions: DGAF_731

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks man, it sure was a lot of work! More so than I thought it would be, but well worth it. If I would've got more pictures I would have done a complete instructional on it. That was the plan but you know how it is when your on a roll, the camera is just in the way at that point LOL!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts