Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I really did not expect my new Tundra metal to be this thin. I side-swiped my plastic trash can while entering my driveway. It caught on something and smashed the side of my truck. I guess the ridiculous CAFE standards struck again...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
It's thin for sure, but those plastic trashcans are make of quite thick plastic and are pretty heavy and beefy. I it they would have put a dent in about any vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
415 Posts
sweet jebus that sucks!! Sorry to hear your unfortunate happening. This always scares me..

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yeah man the metal is just as thick as any other manufacturer. Way to give the big 3 more leverage to hate with the video title.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yikes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You're questioning the thickness of the bed sides because you damaged the truck due to your actions? Can you name a modern pickup truck that this wouldn't have happened to given the same circumstances? I'd be pissed off too. . .but not at the truck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
OP's just looking to place the blame somewhere other than himself. "I run into trashcans all the time and I've never had a problem."

I disagree - think you have a pretty serious problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I really did not expect my new Tundra metal to be this thin. I side-swiped my plastic trash can while entering my driveway. It caught on something and smashed the side of my truck. I guess the ridiculous CAFE standards struck again...

Cheap 2013 Toyota Tundra metal - YouTube
So you hit something with your truck and you are mad at the truck and questioning its quality? How bout questioning the quality of the driver who hits a trash can in his own driveway? :rolleyes:

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
It caught on something and smashed the side of my truck
Bingo. Was trash can empty? If filled with stones or pinned against fence made of stone then sheet metal gonna lose every time. Doubt that would happen if you hit empty can standing alone. Gotta clear rea tire pivit point before making sharp turn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, for everyone stating the obvious (I hit a trash can), yes, I did. Now, please explain, in detail, why each of you "thinks" I am mad at my truck. (Free clue: "I did not expect" does not translate into "mad" in my world)

If I hit the same trash can with my 1957 Studebaker, I doubt there would be any visible sign on that Studebaker from the hit. That is my point. (CAFE standards)

And Mickey, I have a "hook-up" with the guy that fixes dings for a number of dealerships around Houston. Right now, he is making tons of money fixing the hail damage from our storms 1-2 weeks ago, so I have to wait. He is very good at what he does. I'll post pictures in June, after his business slows up a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trash can had one bag of normal household trash in it, about 20 pounds or so... If you look carefully, you can see a tire print on the trash can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah man the metal is just as thick as any other manufacturer. Way to give the big 3 more leverage to hate with the video title.
I have to agree with this . Your title also infers that the metal is "cheap" giving it a negative connotation to tundras .
I have seen silverados and fords with similar sheet metal damage . You don't see those people posting videos about their "cheap" metal .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
You don't have to go back as far as 1957. Even 90's vehicles you could get on top of it without denting it. Remember the old movies in which the suspect and the police could run on top of vehicles? Don't try that with any new vehicles. I am afraid that thin metals are here to stay (probably even thinner in the future).

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Come on, guys. We are being too defensive. I found the title humorous. The OP stated clearly in the first post that this problem with thin metal is not Tundra exclusive ("ridiculous CAFE standards").

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Wow, what did the can get caught on so it didn't just push away from the truck?
I guess if it was out on the grass by the road the bottom could have dug in pretty good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to agree with this . Your title also infers that the metal is "cheap" giving it a negative connotation to tundras .
I have seen silverados and fords with similar sheet metal damage . You don't see those people posting videos about their "cheap" metal .

I do not own a Ford, or a Chevy, or a piece of crap Dodge. I spent my money on a Tundra, for the second time (traded in my 08). I thought that would be obvious...

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
400 horsepower. 60s muscle car straight line performance in a 6000 pound 4x4 half ton. 19 mpg on the highway. Power everything with all the latest safety and convenience standards.

Something's gotta give.

Reactions: MikeSmith

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with MIKE this would have happens with ANY new car...not just Toyota. My 96' Ford F-250 would've destroyed the trash can and probably without a scratch.

Reactions: MikeSmith
1 - 20 of 43 Posts