Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I’m new here so forgive me if I don’t have proper forum etiquette.
I have a 2013 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 TRD. My steering rack and pinion failed the other day. From my research, I’ve gathered this is commom, especially if it’s lifted. So I just got a call from my mechanic and he said the only way to replace is to pull the engine. Said he asked a couple of his seasoned mechanics and there was no way around it, being that’s it’s 4x4. Is this correct? Or does anyone have any tricks I can recommend to save me some $$ in labor? Here’s a pic because I still love her, even tho I have a feeling she’s about to cost me $3k. 😐

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
This might help.

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
There is a trick to drop the front diff instead. Saves a lot of time. Not sure if that is what is linked above or not.

When my 2010 got a new rack, I sent a link to the dealer to drop the diff, as I didn't want them pulling the engine. They said it saved a lot of time.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
187 Posts
drop the diff, what I had done also. once replaced it probably will never happen again. hopefully. Get a rack with a lifetime warranty. I spent just under a 1000.00 to have mine replaced, including labor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts