Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2013 RW has some serious issues. when on a sweeping banking turn the truck has a grinding/whining noise coming from the tire area. Brought truck in once rode with tech he told me that normal....MY ASS that normal!

Dropped truck yesterday, took service tech out with me duplicated the noise he says dude that's jacked up he didn't know what the noise was. Today i get a call from a Toyota field engineer, they are suggesting that because oif the RW package (bfg and aggressive rake). they cant figure it out whats the problem....The told me they took 2 brand new trucks RW of course off the lot and duplicated the same noise.... LOL

what a bunch of jack asses Toyota is to release a truck that has issues...am i the sacrificial lamb? Is anyone else having issues with this?

i am scared to lift my truck...i will keep you all posted...

I am getting an attorney!:eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was having same problem and have a thread started about VSC and airbags... I think you saw that and posted to it.... "Miraculously", after an ECU upgrade and taking the battery cables off for 10 minutes afterwards, the problem seems to be gone. Haven't had a problem since I originally posted that thread since Stealership did these things that day. Who knows which fixed the problem. Stealership still blames airbags! Give me a line that the airbags being removed and then put back on is also a "change" that might have "fixed" it. They can't explain how putting them back on exactly same way is a "change" though.... I'm afraid that with me something with rotating tires at the 5000 mile interval changed the stance and the sensors with the rake of the truck. If it happens again, I guess taking battery cables of is option 1 and asking them to zero out the truck calibration level is option 2 if my hypotheses is correct. Frustrating frankly.

Good luck and post back what they find with your truck! Let me know what they find with your and/or other CrewMax trucks. This is stupid and I don't want it coming back!

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
Its your VSC kicking in. The grinding noise is your ABS kicking in trying to slow the truck down.
You can try Zero Point Calibration and do a battery reset. if you really want to get rid of it, turn the nannies off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are correct and stealership suggested this as well. Turning nannies off every time you get in truck is a nuisance. The truck should work as advertised. Nannies are good on wet and icy/snowy roads where I live. The truck should work or it should be fixed. Fortunately for me my problem seems to be solved at least for now although there is no good explanation.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
So you want the nannies to work, just not when your doing 50 on a jughandle???

It takes 6 seconds to shut the nannies off. If that's too long, you can do the bypass mod.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/66856-vsc-bypass-mod-2007-a.html

ZPC can be done yourself with a paperclip or the $35 techstream cable. Buy the cable and you'll never have to worry about visiting the dealer to tell you whats wrong with the truck.

Where you driving around with the airbags full on an empty truck?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Originally Posted by stroked383z
Getting an attorney lmao... Hope you're joking. That's one of the things that is wrong with the world. Everybody wanting to get a free buck and sue over everything.

X3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard there is a stability sensor mounted under the drivers armrest/storage compartment. When the rake of the truck changes (ie. levelled or lifted) the sensor is not level any more. when cornering the non-level sensor triggers the nannies.

Might this be the issue? Did Toyota re-level the sensor for the Rock Warrior package?

Just a thought really.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
too funny...toyota engineers...blaming tire pressure...

picked up truck monday from dealership...they confirmed like i thought that ALL brand new ones off the lot had the same issues. engineers trying to tell me i need to run 45 psi in tires and there will be no problem.

Am i crazy or if a brand new RW truck off the lot does this. There is an issue?
the reason for an attorney is to lemon this truck the thing has 5k miles on it and has spent over 2 weeks for a problem x2 and had diffrent answers from diffrent techs... i have never had on any previous problems on brand new trucks...not to mention the engineers from Toyota have no clue...lol blaming the tire pressure...ROFL it took them 4 days to figure that out...bahhhahaahahaha

why should i have to turn nanies off every time(pain in the ass)and risk an accident? is the tundra not the beast that Toyota claims it is towing the space shuttle...lol and a little to much air in the tires will take it down:confused:

can you imagine the headache i am going to have after lifting and spending 7k on a lift with wheels...if its not working proper in stock form what makes me think it will work once i have modified it and have no recourse cause they will blame the lift...what to do?:eek:

oh yeah so whats the excuse when i turn the VSC off in the sand and the sound of the front end falling off is back? whats weird is when its in 4wd there is no issues...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you posted on my Firestone AirBag VSC Issue forum posting. The stealership has marked my truck in the warranty system for having AirBags installed as the problem. I had no problems until after 5000 mile maintenance. Their claiming the 3rd party airbag brackets restrain the truck from normal suspension roll is bunk. I'm ticked. I need airbags for hauling as they won't offer a Toyota suspension solution. Going around a curve in a road with 40mph speed sign at or under speed limit shouldn't cause VSC to kick in! Going 25-30mph is not a solution. Turning Nannies off isn't either

If I were you I'd take your factory truck to another stealership since it is stock and get them to work on it. It is unacceptable that stock trucks do this. I'd really like to know the truth. :mad: I can't imagine the grief you will get for mods unless you get the stealership to do the mods and deal with the warranty issues. Wow! How frustrating.

picked up truck monday from dealership...they confirmed like i thought that ALL brand new ones off the lot had the same issues. engineers trying to tell me i need to run 45 psi in tires and there will be no problem.

Am i crazy or if a brand new RW truck off the lot does this. There is an issue?
the reason for an attorney is to lemon this truck the thing has 5k miles on it and has spent over 2 weeks for a problem x2 and had diffrent answers from diffrent techs... i have never had on any previous problems on brand new trucks...not to mention the engineers from Toyota have no clue...lol blaming the tire pressure...ROFL it took them 4 days to figure that out...bahhhahaahahaha

why should i have to turn nanies off every time(pain in the ass)and risk an accident? is the tundra not the beast that Toyota claims it is towing the space shuttle...lol and a little to much air in the tires will take it down:confused:

can you imagine the headache i am going to have after lifting and spending 7k on a lift with wheels...if its not working proper in stock form what makes me think it will work once i have modified it and have no recourse cause they will blame the lift...what to do?:eek:

oh yeah so whats the excuse when i turn the VSC off in the sand and the sound of the front end falling off is back? whats weird is when its in 4wd there is no issues...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought running your tire pressure below tire and vehicle door jam spec is frowned upon as that is DOT (Department of Transportation) standard for proper vehicle safety usage..... When all else fails the OEM tire specs (not brand) for the vehicle factory tire wheel sizes are to be used as per door jam information. The dealership instructing you to vary tire pressure is NOT acceptable as it violates factory tested specs at DOT standards.... Just saying. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts