Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions why this might be happening? Shitty belt? Wrong belt?

I brought my truck in last week to have the brakes done and told the guy the serp belt was starting to make a tiny squeal on startup and to have a look...now it's turned into a bit of a cluster. 2 belts and a new tensioner later... it's squealing like a stuck pig, way worse than when I brought it to him. The 2nd belt he put he said was a better "kevlar" belt. Now he's talking maybe it's the power steering pump. Well he's not getting the truck back, I'm going to fix it myself, like I should have done in the first place.

Told him a heat shield was rattling too, but he couldn't figure that one out either. 15 minutes this morning and I had that fixed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Climb

I had some of the same issue when I bought my 2014 used and mistakenly cleaned/washed engine are applying needed TLC. The belt that wasn't that worn started squeaking bad. I bought and installed this, problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that he got the ribs crossed in the belt each time he put it on. Take it off and see if you find any damage from crossing the ribs of the belt. Its pretty hard for one to slip if its put on right. It could also be rubbing a little on both edges but a little wax might help that. be careful trying to put some on. Just brush the edge with a candle or something. Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just installed the Continental 4080945. Might not have been the problem. I was a little concerned removing the old belt because it was REALLY hard to get off. Tight as hell. it was the Continental 4080948 so it was longer than the one I was about to put on. Kinda of a head scratcher... I struggled to get it off but I got it. Took pics of the routing but they were a little hard to see, so I looked up the routing and she slipped right on. WTF? Looked closer at my pictures...the guy had the fucking belt ROUTED WRONG! Good lord. Surprised it ran and didn't throw a code. Found this pic. Exactly how he had it run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts