Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2013 Magnetic Grey Crewmax dipped bumper and surround

16K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  flip5ide 
#1 ·
I just finished dipping my front bumper and the grill surround. I have the rear bumper off right now (I had to tap a very feint dent out) and it is coated on the inside, ready for spray today.

For what it is worth - process, I removed the rear bumper, took all of 15 minutes to remove the screws and tabs from the plastic cover. Tip: you can remove the light housing for the license plate lights, but I found it easier to just twist the light itself out of the housing, took only a 1/4 twist by hand and it was free.

The front - I just taped it off. I had a large plastic sheet I used for a greenhouse left over so I used it to protect the paint. I also found that even though you only need to cover an inch or two for the direct spray, I suggest to cover the entire hood and paint of the whole front end or else the mist will texture the paint. Not a big deal since it comes off when wiped, but might as well not have to do that at all.

another tip: I did 5-5.5 coats plus one coat of Satin clear coat, took 4 cans to cover the front completely and the inside of the rear bumper. I am going to grab two more cans to do the rear today. Also, I waited 10ish minutes between coats and 30-45 minutes before the clear coat. But then took the tape and covers off right away so it separated cleanly.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Evan B and SoFla
#4 ·
Looks good.

Reactions: DR TUNA
#5 ·
Thanks guys.

@SoFla - I decided I like the one little spot of Red, it almost stands out without noticing it. I did think about it though. But I can always go back whenever I want.

I have no idea about your situation, but for me... I can pick up dozens of PD cans from anywhere around me. I go to Lowes, Home Depot, and OSH. For sure Lowes and OSH have plenty of stock at any time. $5.88 per can.

Reactions: SoFla
#6 ·
Did all of mine last week. Love PD!!

#7 ·
Got the rear bumper done

Attachments

#9 ·
@Hilux4wd - I did a satin coat on mine. All I can say is, once you do a coat, do not go back and "sprinkle" a little more [clear coat] or you will actually add an opaque, rough surface. I was able to smooth mine out same day, but wish I would had just not added that little touch more.

#10 ·
Tuna, everything looks really good! Out of curiosity, what size are your stock wheels?

#12 ·
Looks killer!!!! I'm waiting on the glossifier and then to find the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 · (Edited)
@AZ Drifter - They are the steel 18" with PD. I do plan to get some Level 8 Guardians when money is more abundant. Though, I plan on those being 18"x9" also.

EDIT: I ended up getting the Fuel Trophey's and very happy with them.

Reactions: AZ_Drifter
#15 ·
I've seen a lot of guys asking where to get plasti dip on a few different threads. If you are looking for black you can typically find it at Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever your local hardware store. If for some reason you can't find it at a place like that, or if you are looking for a different color (they have a ton of them), check out www.dipyourcar.com The prices are very similar to what you would see at Home Depot and they have every product that Plasti Dip makes.

#16 ·
Yes, I bought my first two cans for the wheels at OSH (Orchard). And the rest I bought at Lowes. I went back there and double checked, the price was $5.98 per can. And they have both black and white at Lowes. But only black at OSH. No glossifier. I just used satin clear coat to help harden the PD. It may be a bit harder to take off if I want it gone, but it should last a lot longer.

#21 ·
Sorry, I just saw your post.

I left the front bumper on, it looked like more work than I wanted to do. So I taped off the paint and just sprayed into the spacing. I figured I would be able to peel out everything that can be seen if I wanted to take it off and I was able to get deep enough in there that you cannot see any chrome no matter how you look at it.

#22 ·
Update - The dip looks good, it seems to have faded a little bit on the parts that I sprayed a thin coat of semi gloss (this is 6-7 months later). The other parts are just fine. I haven't even had to touch anything up yet at all. Another 6 months and I may redo the parts that I semi glossed.

#25 ·
It's remarkably durable considering you don't need to scuff the surface for adhesion. I dipped the chrome grills on my Audi about 4 years ago and while there are a couple stone chips after 60,000 miles, it generally looks great. Especially when the lower grill is about 6" off the ground and I lived on dirt roads for half of those miles, and I've plowed through many, many miles of deep snow.

You can just peel it off. Pull up a bit with your finger and peel. It's stupid easy.

I'll also add that IMO 3 or 4 coats is sufficient, I don't think you need to do more. I'm planning to dip the front and rear bumpers and the chrome grill on my (new to me) Tundra tomorrow. I'll post up the results. it's only going to be around 42 degrees but hopefully it'll go smoothly.

#27 ·
Looks awesome! Might have to do that to my MGM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.