Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed a 2013 jbl nav in my 2010 with jbl stock.
I currently have a rostra overhead monitor connected in the always on setting.
I am attempting to bring video to the hu so that I may have back up video & forward video as well.
I have a SPDT switch for the reverse/always on. I have confirmed that the 12v is reaching the hu. However in the settings the camera option is not selectable.
I
Have the V+ & V- connected to the mic connector, and the source is from the a pillar.
I have tried both sets of red/grey wires and neither on provides video.
Can someone who has successfully done this mod please tell me if I am missing something?

The reverse signal is reaching the unit and is confirmed on this setting screen, when i activate the 12v or put it in reverse it shows on the screen, but when I activate the 12v or put it reverse the monitor does not switch to reverse mode, I have selected both inputs on SPDT switch that selects the V+ and have tried both sets of red/grey wires in the a pillar. Maybe its not receiving video signal... but i would assume that the screen would still go in the reverse mode and be black... or blue... or show a no signal message... but nothing...

On the mic connector I only connected the video feed wires as the camera is receiving current from the rostra monitor.
The microphone wires are left unconnected as I am unable to find a source (no k9 connector)

SPDT for the reverse/12v always on

I am confused because I am receiving video to the overhead monitor... and am providing video signal to the JBL HU, and also reverse signal... however it will not enter into the "reverse mode"

Can anyone with a 2010 or newer truck that has installed the JBL nav with camera can please offer any suggestions

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP!

connected the parking brake wire just incase that was the reason... but it wasnt... still not getting the HU to go into the reverse screen mode..

Confirmation that the reverse and parking brake signals are being received... they are

Mic connector

Pin 18 & 5 are crossed so that the Bluetooth may work

Video signal goes to the SPDT switch, power for the camera is left unused as camera already is receiving current from overhead monitor, and microphone wires are left disconnected.

Anyone know what's wrong with my setup? I'm giving the hu reverse signal but am not getting the reverse camera to come on.

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, since it recognizes that you are in reverse it should be getting the 12V to the input at the radio. But have you tested that wire, the green one?
Yes, I have tested the green wire. It receives 12v. It is on a SPDT switch and will receive current from the vehicle when put in reverse or when I switch it on it will receive 12v directly.

The HU gives you a
Diagnostics screen and it shows it as on or off, so when I flick it on, the screen shows on, and when I flick it off it shows off, at which point I put it in reverse and it comes on again. But it won't do anything when it's out of the diagnostic mode.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I took everything apart and tested every single wire. I give up, the HU will not engage the reverse screen... Fk it! That's that.
I still have my rostra monitor hooked up to my rear view camera.
I pulled out all the video wires going to the hu & routed them to the a pillar.
Snipped the V+ and tapped into the SPDT switch.
Now I am able to run both cameras on the small screen. It's ok, wish it could've worked on the big monitor.

Technology Automotive exterior Electronic device Vehicle Ceiling

Front view

Display device Technology Electronic device Electronics Multimedia

Rear view

Vehicle Car Hatchback

SPDT

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Synthetic rubber

Automotive exterior Floor Bumper Vehicle Car

Floor Automotive exterior Auto part

This was supposed to be a logo camera but the video was upside down. So I put the camera on the bottom. Works good enough.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
1,052 Posts
I didnt read everything here but doesnt the headunit require to see the bu camera video has power when you firts turn on vehicle? doesnt it do a check to see if the bu camera is installed by looking for video? try powering camera off of ign or constant, then turning vehicle on and putting in reverse.

this is how the tacoma and highlander are I believe.

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt read everything here but doesnt the headunit require to see the bu camera video has power when you firts turn on vehicle? doesnt it do a check to see if the bu camera is installed by looking for video? try powering camera off of ign or constant, then turning vehicle on and putting in reverse.

this is how the tacoma and highlander are I believe.
I have the cameras both wired off a switched 12v source, so they come on as soon as the engine comes on.
The rear camera, which was the first one that i was attempting to get to work on the HU is being powered by the Rostra over head monitor, and I brought the video source to the JBL HU.
The grey & red wires are the video feed wires

and i believe that the two wires that are on the left that are taped off are the + & - that the HU would supply the camera, but the camera is already receiving power from the other monitor...

are you suggesting that the JBL HU needs to see resistance on the + & - so that it will assume that there is a camera connected?

· Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reverse camera is a Toyota OEM camera, so it is running on 5.5v i believe.. which the rostra overhead monitor provides.

Like i mentioned earlier, even if there was no video signal being received, 12+ reverse signal was being received at the HU, it should've entered into a "reverse mode".... but it didnt

from all my reading and research the grey & red wires are the video wires.
Next time i have it all apart I'll try to connect the video feed again to the HU & find a resistor for the HU to trick it into believing that it is powering a camera, i dont see any reason to remove ALL my wiring from the overhead monitor, just in case it doesnt work again....
any suggestions on a resistor I can put on the + & - that will mimic a camera?

· Registered
1,052 Posts
The reverse camera is a Toyota OEM camera, so it is running on 5.5v i believe.. which the rostra overhead monitor provides.

Like i mentioned earlier, even if there was no video signal being received, 12+ reverse signal was being received at the HU, it should've entered into a "reverse mode".... but it didnt

from all my reading and research the grey & red wires are the video wires.
Next time i have it all apart I'll try to connect the video feed again to the HU & find a resistor for the HU to trick it into believing that it is powering a camera, i dont see any reason to remove ALL my wiring from the overhead monitor, just in case it doesnt work again....
any suggestions on a resistor I can put on the + & - that will mimic a camera?
oh dont pull your install completely out for sure. I woudlnt do the resistor idea. just connect another camera then to the video leads on the headunit (make sure it has video all the time) and then give reverse on the headunit constant power. then turn the vehicle on and let the headunit power up and see if it gives video. the key though is that the camera is giving video to the headunit when you turn the vehicle on with the key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.