Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from a new member. I have a 2012 Tundra - 2WD DC with 293,000 KM.

While accelerating, at approximately 60 KM/h I get a brief (5 second ish) shudder. My research suggests that it would be torque converter. I have a couple of questions on this.

1 - What testing can I do to confirm it is the torque converter?
2 - DIY or dealer/shop repair?

Thanks

jb

·
Registered
67 Posts
This may not be your issue, but I had a Chrysler product that acted just like this. I would get a shudder as it seemed to shift or was coming in and out of torque converter lockup. It sure seemed like a transmission problem. After changing transmission fluid and trying several attempts to figure it out, we could not diagnose the problem. Finally, I took it out and ran it kind of hard and seemed to detect a miss in the engine. I confirmed it by parking with it in gear and revving up the engine aggressively and sure enough, it was an engine miss. It ended up needing plugs and that fixed it.

It may not be your issue, but a slight engine miss can sure feel like a transmission or torque converter problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree with Mikecol. Also, there can be vibrational harmonics that occur at engine rpms and/or some combinations of engine speed and vehicle speed.

I had a grating noise vibration on a 2002 4.7 Tundra in the past that occurred at 1900 rpm, regardless of gear. Thought it may have been a trans issue, but read about others who eventually figured out they vibrations issues, one related to a license plate. Mine was a heat shield on a cat converter. It was very close to the converter - bent it away and noise was gone.

If you can crawl or creep around underneath and just look for loose or flexible parts. I would say it's worth a try before taking it in. If something may be close to touching/vibrating against another part, bend or move it slightly/safely away. If any work was done on it recently, that could be a clue as to location. If an underbody flush affects the noise, it could point to something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is from a new member. I have a 2012 Tundra - 2WD DC with 293,000 KM.

While accelerating, at approximately 60 KM/h I get a brief (5 second ish) shudder. My research suggests that it would be torque converter. I have a couple of questions on this.

1 - What testing can I do to confirm it is the torque converter?
2 - DIY or dealer/shop repair?

Thanks

jb
Change your transmission fluid. Had exact same problem in a 2005 4Runner and a 2010 Tundra. Both were solved by changing transmission fluid. Use factory spec fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts