Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I have the 2 year oil change I wanted to change the oil myself. I looked at the fill neck and noticed 0w20 oil. The only ow20 oil i found is synthetic, is that what toyota is using on the tundras now?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why would you not want 5 free oil change/rotates?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I passed up my free oil changes on my Tundra for the same reasons, except it was one hour to the dealer. Make sure that you do not use one of the covered plastic oil catch pans to collect your oil. The dirty oil comes out very fast and strong. I used a plastic scrub bucket for my second oil change and it worked great. If you haven't read some of the posts on changing your own oil, there are some good tips there.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
It's no longer 5 free oil changes, it's now 2, since they only change the synthetic stuff every 10k!!!
And from my own UOA after 9k-ish miles, I wouldn't run the Toyota bulk synthetic for 10k miles. It sucks. TBN was like 1.8 :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
fwiw, I couldn't find a 5-20 that wasn't synthetic blended at the least...

Amsoil soon.

Had one oil change at the dealer where they didn't do synthetic when I paid extra, the other one I still don't really know...

Doing them myself as I always have done in the past, just wish the filter was like the 4.0 where it was on top and had a lil nipple to drain the filter housing from after, really easy cleanup...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have run both 0W-20 and 5W-20 in mine, and I prefer the 5W-20. There's slightly less engine noise on cold start ups.

·
Registered
253 Posts
2012 Flex fuel 5.7 is synthetic at 5k

My first 3 visits took a combined 5 hours. Most of which was the one where they got oil all down both sides of the truck, door handles, steering wheel, seat, center console and drivers door panel. I should have taken pictures except I was too upset to see straight. I didn't get much more then the tech will be written up. What the hell do I care even if they fire him? What good did that do me? Took them a solid hour to get all the oil off it after waiting over an hour for them to do it. No thanks, changing my own from now on..

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Even though I have the 2 year oil change I wanted to change the oil myself. I looked at the fill neck and noticed 0w20 oil. The only ow20 oil i found is synthetic, is that what toyota is using on the tundras now?
Same on my cap and I have an 07. I use synthetic also since the begining. I didn't mind going to the dealership for the first 95k miles. I just didn't feel the need of doing it. I just changed mine today. What I hate about doing it at home is you have to get rid of the oil. Now I have four 5 quart jugs full of used oil to get rid of. I never think of bringing it to anyplace that does oil changes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just contemplated this very same thing and after reading TONS of posts on oil change topics, I decided to do it myself...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/maintenance-repair/42806-diy-5-7l-oil-change.html

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/108824-post-your-used-oil-analysis-uoa.html

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/120454-oil-change-bottle-trick.html

So, at 1700 miles, I drained the original oil and replaced the original filter. I went with Castrol Edge w/ SPT (European Formula) full synthetic that you can get at some AutoZone's and the OEM Toyota filter. Took about an hour or so to complete. I also replaced the drain plug with a fumoto valve (qwikvalve dot com) for convenience next time. The skid plate and filter cover were the hardest parts of the job and they weren't a big deal. Make sure you get the 65mm 14 flute oil filter wrench (at a minimum). The special tool from CivicFerio and the aluminum cap from other Toyota vehicles would be ideal, but I needed to cut cost somewhere and got by just fine. Way too many horror stories about the dealership screwing things up and now I know it's done and done correctly. I plan on running this oil for about 7500 miles before my next change at which point I'll have a UOA done and see what they say about going longer. Truck sounds better at startup with the 0w and maybe it's just placebo, but it feels a bit smoother as well.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
My 42 lb package of Amsoil came in...

Should be doing the oil either thursday, saturday, or next monday... Lol...

I hated the dealer letting my truck just sit there for an hour when I drove around for long enough to make sure it was hot before going there...

I am curious as to if the drain on the filter housing comes off... This could get interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts