Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was experiencing a clunking noise like a delayed released of a spring every time especially in the morning after it sits over night. I only have to drive slowly for about 20 feet then some kind of spring will release and make a not so loud "Ka-thunk" noise. The dealer is not sure what it was, they recorded the noise and sends it to Toyota.

Anyone with a Tundra experiencing this noise like I do. Any info is greatly appreciated.

RickL

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes I am in my 2013. It's so annoying and it's driving me crazy! Somewhere I read that it's the driveline and one fix was to grease the splines on the telescoping part or something like that. I need to find out how to do this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is also a 4WD 5.7 V8. The spring like noise happens only after it was parked and engine was shut off. I can't duplicated the noise by just putting the transmission in park then put it in Drive the drived off. The noise more obvious in the morning after it sits overnight. Maybe because everybody else is asleep. But this Ka-thunk every time i drove off the parking lot is ver very annoying.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine definitely does it more in the morning or when cold. The outside temperature is getting cooler and it's doing it more. Maybe it's getting worse or it's the cooler temps, I don't know. Mine is a thump that I can feel in my seat. And it is coming from the rear of the truck. All I know is it's incredibly annoying and I do not like my service department here. I probably need to fix it myself if I can!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Papa1911. We may be talking about two different things. The noise I'm hearing is definitely coming from the front. It sounds like a linkage had a delayed release due to a defective spring. It's obviously a spring because of the sound is like coming from a vibrating object. I just got a call from my dealer and said Toyota called back and said that it could be an actuator performing a self test and nothing could be done. I'm not buying it. I told them to replace the actuator because it shouldn't be making that kind of noise. They told me to bring the truck back to them. My dealer's logo is "we'll do what it takes" to get you to buy and that's it.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
There is an ABS self test and it is timed at the same speed as the doors lock so you don't notice it.
Guys who change when their doors lock often complain about this noise.
I don't know if that's the "self test" you are refering to, but I thought I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theoat, I think that's what they said on the phone to me. It's an ABS self test! That there's some kind of actuator that maybe causing the clunking noise.. I'm recording the noise and hopefully I can post it here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theoat, thank you very much for your assistance. It's quite a relief to find out that the clunking noise is normal to the ABS. I will still take it to the dealer and have them check it out just for good measures. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Papa1911. We may be talking about two different things.
I'm sorry I believe you are right. Mine has something to do with the back of the truck. When I had my frontier it would do that ABS check thing and I do not believe what I am dealing with is that. In fact I can not remember feeling or hearing my tundra do the ABS check. Sorry!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
theoat, thank you very much for your assistance. It's quite a relief to find out that the clunking noise is normal to the ABS. I will still take it to the dealer and have them check it out just for good measures. Again, thank you.
Did you have your door locks timing changed?
I'm just curious as to why the sound wasn't masked by the locks if that is what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I did have the door lock timing changed to lock immediately when Transmission is moved to "drive" and I also have the unlocking changed to not "to unlock when I place the transmission to "park" position. I'll probably have the locking thing change back to the way it was to mask the sound. Thanks again theoat..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts