Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for brakes. What is the best choice? Tundraracing has an upgraded setup with braided lines. I can't justify their big brake kit or the trd one, but I hate to buy stock replacement. Lol. What is everyone upgrading to besides the big brake kits?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I just did slotted cryo rotors and some hawk lts pads.. hell of an upgrade

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put on baer front and rear cross-drilled and slotted rotors on my 08.

I think I did the break in procedure wrong with my front TRD pads since my steering wheel vibrates when I stop slowly. If I stop hard and fast there's no shake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would like to see some pads tested on the Tundra.. I race my Evo and know what good pads can do. Hawk, Carbotech, Ferodo..... All great companies that offer pads that take a lot of heat and have vicious bite... Now if the Tundra could not be prone to warped front rotors it would be great, maybe some brake ducts..

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm due for brakes. What is the best choice? Tundraracing has an upgraded setup with braided lines. I can't justify their big brake kit or the trd one, but I hate to buy stock replacement. Lol. What is everyone upgrading to besides the big brake kits?
Doesn't the need for new brakes mean it's time to trade it in on a PRO!!??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Stock brakes are shit , imo, had to jam them going around 65 and now my steering wheel vibrates all the time. I've had them turned once already
Coming from a one ton dodge (thankfully a 5 speed), these brakes are pretty good. Better than my older gs 400 lexus, nowhere near my bbk infinity g37 (a lot smaller and lighter). For what I do, stock work great. I'm on original set at 63,000 miles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've been VERY aggressive with my oem replacement powerstop stuff when putting them to the test...(The wife thinks I drive BigLoad the same as the M3) haven't been able to smoke out the pads or warp, groove, crack, etc. the rotors.
With a ton of metal in the bed the brakes still didn't seem to notice under average driving.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did their performance brake kit when I got mine, some places list as Evolution, some as Tow with -36 or Z36 added to the kit name... pretty sure pad makeup between the types will be a minimal difference, you can also find the pads and rotors separately as well if your calipers are fine.

summitracing seems to currently have the best price I've found out in the retail world so far(think they have core charges to return though). I couldn't find a better price through any of my local wholesale accounts for my shop.
This is what the actual kit looks like with proper calipers and rotor configurations

Power Stop KC2813 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

full kit: Power Stop KC2813 (-36 gets added to part # for truck and tow pads)
front kit: Power Stop KC2952
rear kit: Power Stop KC3073

·
Registered
318 Posts
Oh and if you are also looking at the Callahan brake kits... they are the same exact thing from the same exact Power Stop company. So don't get fooled into spending more for those off amazon or ebay.

BTW - I don't believe those pads pictured are correct image for the application... they should look like the post above

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did the slotted powerstops and EBC YellowStuff pads on mine. You must be patient and bed them in properly but once you do it's completely ridiculous how hard they stop. Lots of noise, lots of dust. But if you want a setup that'll stand it up on its nose and don't want to go with a big brake kit, this is the hot setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts