Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced battery in the truck and now all the error lights on the dash are let. Engine will not accelerate, heater does not work, cannot put it in gear etc. Anyone have any ideas on what happened?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery replacement issues

We have tried that but when I installed the battery the horns went off. We disconnected the battery quickly to stop them. This is my sons truck and he stated that the red light is on on top of the dash. So I think the alarm thinks it’s on. Also key fob not working correctly so I think he needs to relearn the fobs to turn off the alarm. What do you think?????????????

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
We have tried that but when I installed the battery the horns went off. We disconnected the battery quickly to stop them. This is my sons truck and he stated that the red light is on on top of the dash. So I think the alarm thinks it’s on. Also key fob not working correctly so I think he needs to relearn the fobs to turn off the alarm. What do you think?????????????
Try leaving it disconnected for 10 mins or so. This will completely reset the ECM.

Sounds like there is some "third party" equipment involved.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes, @sundance is right. Battery cable disconnect needs 10 minutes or more to be absolutely sure. Capacitors in system electronics remain charged for awhile after the cable disconnected.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
We are being told via conversation with mechanics that the ECM is shot??????
well that was a quick diagnosis!jeeeez.
did you reverse connections while hooking the battery up?
if not ,then odds are your ecu is fine and your aftermarket alarm is the culprit.
if truck is all oem stuff then a simple battery replacement will not make it behave as you indicated.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
well that was a quick diagnosis!jeeeez.
did you reverse connections while hooking the battery up?
if not ,then odds are your ecu is fine and your aftermarket alarm is the culprit.
if truck is all oem stuff then a simple battery replacement will not make it behave as you indicated.
Yep, what I thought, but then I've been victim of too many attempted dark-alley muggings by grease monkeys.

I once thought I had a problem with a Toyota ECU, and was told by a puzzled junkyard guy that Toyota's were highly reliable and hardly ever failed. He was right, but I wish I had been...turned out my stretched timing chain had jumped a cog or two. Still have that junkyard ECU in the drawer decades later. There are so many used Toyota ECUs on the salvage market that they have almost no value; there is that little demand for them.

Replacement of the ECU may planned as a quick, easy appetizer for a three-four course meal. :disappointed:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...Isn't about impossible to reverse the cables on the battery?
Yep, cables too short and restrained; don't think it can be did.

Even if you put the battery in with the terminals reversed, the terminals will then be on the front. I don't think the cables are long enough to reach across the battery; i.e. the cables will only reach the terminals if the battery is installed correctly with terminals on the rear of the battery.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Usually when the alarm is going off, its looking for the key, try disconnecting the battery, waiting ten minutes, tapping the brake pedal a few times to drain any residual current, and then hooking the battery back up and put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON and leave it there for a few minutes. The alarm should recognize the key if it was paired before. Try finding out what type of alarm it is and try to find an install manual out there to see what procedure needs to be followed when the battery is removed. There will be instructions on how to get everything working again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Battery Replacement issues

I would have thought is the ECM was fried the engine would not run. Lots of things not working I.e. won’t accelerate, won’t go in gear, all warning lights on. Bought second hand so sure what alarm is in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
battery replacement

I attempting to replace the battery on my 07 tundra.
The new battery set the horn off- constantly- scared the crap out of me- ive replaced batteries and never had that happened before.

from what ive read- this happens occasionally- to solve I have to unlock the doors - key in ignition - something like that?

thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I'd just add that you should disable/disconnect the alarm to make sure its not the issue.

Isn't about impossible to reverse the cables on the battery?
Yes , BUT if you have a reverse term battery one can hear a kablamm and get a new fuse block after the smoke clears .

Just ask the bogger eating AutoZone twit that put my Wifes Camry on a rollback how its done .

·
Registered
10 Posts
well, funny you mention that....

Got the part at advanced auto parts.... online ordered the correct part.
Picked up the battery. put it in... sparks... alarm ect...
Yup... they pulled and gave me the wrong battery. right size but pos and neg were reversed!!!
Yup i now have fuse problems.... im pissed.... i have a complaint into corporate
no directionals or tail lights, no radio, no wipers, abs/chk engine/ parking brake lights are all on on the dash
headlights and dome lights work
it starts- but i cant get it out of park???

it was a smilar part number. pfft!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
well, funny you mention that....

Got the part at advanced auto parts.... online ordered the correct part.
Picked up the battery. put it in... sparks... alarm ect...
Yup... they pulled and gave me the wrong battery. right size but pos and neg were reversed!!!
Yup i now have fuse problems.... im pissed.... i have a complaint into corporate
no directionals or tail lights, no radio, no wipers, abs/chk engine/ parking brake lights are all on on the dash
headlights and dome lights work
it starts- but i cant get it out of park???

it was a smilar part number. pfft!!
Yes the part # of incorrect battery is same but an F or something simm. IF one is non attentive to the reverse polarity terms , kerblammm. Dead vehicle.

UNDER the fuse box there are integral fusable links . Our autozone "tuned" wrong battery dead Camry has simm issues. Like 1/2 the car worked , other 1/2 serious issues . No its not coming out of Park. $800 later ( autozones money and rental car ) and a new fusebox all was well and no futher strangeness or issues .
Since you installed the wrong battery ( even though you ordered the correct one ) i do not think you will get very far with Toyota Corporate.
sorry dude .

·
Registered
10 Posts
yup: I wasn't even aware they made a battery with reversed poles.... but I do now !!!
I ve done probably a dozen batteries In my lifetime.... just enough to be dangerous :)
Well for my part in it--- I lost the vehicle for a few days
Since they pulled and mislabeled the battery- Advance Auto Parts did the right thing-- had it towed and repaired.
So Kudos to them.
just a bunch of fuses and relays

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.