Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Old news my was replaced like 7 months ago. ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I got that letter in today too. I guess I better get it checked out!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
F.B.I.
2,016 Posts
Thanks, now we just need a steering rack recall!

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks, now we just need a steering rack recall!
I agree. You guys have me so freaked out with that!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
549 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the specific number they are looking for? I'd much rather climb under the truck and verify if mine actually does fall under the list. Not a fan of just taking a trip to the dealer, gives me the same feeling of going to the doctors or dentist :sm145:.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the specific number they are looking for? I'd much rather climb under the truck and verify if mine actually does fall under the list. Not a fan of just taking a trip to the dealer, gives me the same feeling of going to the doctors or dentist :sm145:.
This specific recall is for 51,000 trucks of model year 2011 (about half of all 2011s in the US)...I can't find anything with a VIN range to help you...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks man, there should be a specific number they are looking for on the part in question. That is all they are doing when you drop the truck off. They lift it and check to verify if your slip yoke contains the digits in its part number that can be traced back to the lot of improperly casted parts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What the crap man, Toyota has been having these issues since the 2nd generation came out. Are there better companies out there than DANA/Spicer to make these? Sheesh

Semper Fi

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yep, it's a very isolated case. I figured since they are still sending out the letter and mine just came, I will either quickly look at the part for the concerned part number or just forget about it. I did trace down this number that another member had posted - 1520D2. I'll see what I can find under the truck today.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What the crap man, Toyota has been having these issues since the 2nd generation came out. Are there better companies out there than DANA/Spicer to make these? Sheesh

Semper Fi
Castings are always at risk for defects...most good casting manufacturers have specific casting processes and inspection programs to prevent & identify.

However, any time you deal with mass-produced castings you are subject to risk of some defects getting though - hence this recall is for a very small number of rigs.

I'm also positive that DANA/Spicer is purchasing the castings from a casting house...automotive suppliers like drivetrain manufacturers source their metals, castings, extrusions, etc., rather than process primary metals themselves...

And the metal & processing vendors used by manufacturers like DANA are either mandated by Toyota or approved by Toyota - including their quality programs.

I used to work for Warn - who supplies 4x4 front auto hubs to DANA and directly to Ford (among many others)...so Warn is a Tier-1 and a Tier-2 supplier of Ford.

Warn didn't make the castings - someone else did...a DANA & Ford approved vendor. The castings come in, go through receiving inspection...then our assemblers & manufacturing people would do their thing, and then we'd send them directly to Ford or send them to Dana to pre-install on their axles that then went to Ford.

We had inspection processes and techniques for the castings, but to conduct 100% inspections on all of the castings would make the drivetrain so expensive we'd be powering our rides via Fred Flintstone designs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just bought my Tundra in the middle of October. I got a call from the dealer on Friday asking me to bring it in so they could check it for the recall.

My question, WHY THE FLIPPIN' HELL WOULD THEY NOT CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE I BOUGHT THE TRUCK IF IT HAS BEEN OUIT THERE FOR MONTHS?!?!

Dean

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just bought my Tundra in the middle of October. I got a call from the dealer on Friday asking me to bring it in so they could check it for the recall.

My question, WHY THE FLIPPIN' HELL WOULD THEY NOT CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE I BOUGHT THE TRUCK IF IT HAS BEEN OUIT THERE FOR MONTHS?!?!

Dean
I bought mine in September and wondered the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts