Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been scheming on a LED light bar for my 2011 tundra, but there are not many examples of stealth or hidden installs for the gen2. I pulled the lower bumper valance to get a better idea of what would fit best. I was really hoping to pull off a curved double row 40'' bar but there was just not enough room to keep things factory-ish looking. I went with a single row 20'' light bar that fits perfectly between the center lower valance.

Here is how it looks without the lower valance.

Valance back on.

Painted the hardware black to blend in. You can see here no obstructions in the way of the light bar.

Here is a shot at night to show nothing is blocking the beam pattern.

I haven't had an opportunity to take it out on a rural road for good nighttime pictures, but I will work on that as time allows. I did adjust the beam in my cul-de-sac and I am impressed so far.

I also had an extra set of Hella Supertones and tossed those on at the same time. I kept the OEM horns as well just pivoted them a bit to allow for more room. I have since painted them black to blend in. The horn definitely does not match a truck horn but it is loud and obnoxious, and I think that's ultimately the point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the black and yellow look here but that hella super tone looks a bit off in the red, with the black grill. You can take it off and spray paint it black and then it wouldn't even be noticeable. what about the sounds, was it worth the investment?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the black and yellow look here but that hella super tone looks a bit off in the red, with the black grill. You can take it off and spray paint it black and then it wouldn't even be noticeable. what about the sounds, was it worth the investment?
I agree. The red lasted about 2 days before I thought it was too much and painted them black. The sound is very euro-ish and not like a truck at all, but they are very loud so I figure for $37 shipped and about 45 minutes to install they are well worth it. I was able to keep them in tandem with the OEM horns too. I just had to flip them around to create more room.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have a 30" behind mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good Job, looks way better. - I agree with euro-ish sounds and it just doesn't seem to match a truck been that horns are very popular in the Subaru community, so if anyone blowing a horn I would turn around and expect to see a honda civic or a subaru wrx not a big ass Toyota tundra.
However, I also agree on how loud it is and does a good god damn job of getting your attention and for the purpose its worth the 37$

I agree. The red lasted about 2 days before I thought it was too much and painted them black. The sound is very euro-ish and not like a truck at all, but they are very loud so I figure for $37 shipped and about 45 minutes to install they are well worth it. I was able to keep them in tandem with the OEM horns too. I just had to flip them around to create more room.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 30" behind mine.
Did you do single or double row? I wanted to go bigger but after a bit of back and forth decided to keep in between the center valance and all I could do with out blocking lights was 20". Really was most bummed I couldn't squeeze a double row bar. Any pics of yours installed?

how'd you take the valance off? been wanting to do the same. did you remove the bumper off the truck?
It's actually pretty straight forward but a bit of a tight squeeze to reach a few nuts.
-pop the hood and reach behind/under where the bumper meets the top of the lower valance. there are 6 (i think) nuts/bolts to loosen and pull out.
-now crawl under the car. There are 3 screws holding the lower valance to the skid plate. Back out all 3.
-(here is where it gets tight and you may have to find the best spot either under the truck or standing reaching behind the bumper) there are 2 bolts per side holding the valance to the crash bumper. They come out easy enough but there is very little wiggle room. I did the driver side from the bottom and realized I had a better angle from the top reaching through and behind the bumper.

after that it will just lift out/off.

Good Job, looks way better. - I agree with euro-ish sounds and it just doesn't seem to match a truck been that horns are very popular in the Subaru community, so if anyone blowing a horn I would turn around and expect to see a honda civic or a subaru wrx not a big ass Toyota tundra.
However, I also agree on how loud it is and does a good god damn job of getting your attention and for the purpose its worth the 37$
It is funny cause I originally installed a set on my wrx years back and they were popular then. Recently my wife's Q5 horns went bad so I decided since I had hella supertones before and they were pretty euro-ish that they'd match the audi just fine. When I went to order them and saw how cheap they had become I just purchased 2 sets and figured I toss them on the Tundra for the fun of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RW looking awesome! I have the same one 2011 crewmax RockWarrior. I just got mine on 7/10/17. I love the 20" light bar. Where did you buy it from? I would love to add this to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did you buy it from?
I bought this bar as it was highly recommended on Reddit. I can be found cheaper on amazon though. You can definitely go wider (up to 40") but it all depends on how much of your grill you want to cut and/or light that gets blocked. Also, something to keep in mind is our bumpers are curved so the longer bar you get the further it needs to be recessed at the center to accommodate the curve.

S4D 20 inch OZ-USA® Single Row LED Light bar 4D reflectors spot flood combo off road 4x4 4wd race truck - OZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.