Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2011 Toyota tundra with the 5.7 engine is completely quiet on initial start up. No strange noises present. Once the engine has been running for 3-4 minutes, this noise shows up.

It’s not a constant noise, it cycles. It starts quiet, and steadily gets progressively loins then stops foe several seconds, then starts quietly and gets progressively louder then stops. This cycle repeats until the engine warms up.

The noise occurs for approximately 3-5 minutes, and once the motor is completely warm, the noise is gone. It does not reappear until the next completely cold start.

There is no check engine light, no other issues or loss of power, the truck runs great before the noise and after.

The colder the outside temperature, the longer the noise lasts.

The truck currently has Mobil 1 5w20 full syn. I will be changing it to 5w30 in the near future to see if that helps at all.

I found lots of other examples of people who have experienced this with their 5.7 engines, but no follow ups have been posted either on YouTube, or in the forums detailing what the solution was if one was found.

I can’t imagine that there’s this many parole that have experienced the exact problem and not found a solution...

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution to it?

Here’s another video from above:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My 2011 Toyota tundra with the 5.7 engine is completely quiet on initial start up. No strange noises present. Once the engine has been running for 3-4 minutes, this noise shows up.

The noise occurs for approximately 3-5 minutes, and once the motor is completely warm, the noise is gone. It does not reappear until the next completely cold start.

There is no check engine light, no other issues or loss of power, the truck runs great before the noise and after.

The colder the outside temperature, the longer the noise lasts.

The truck currently has Mobil 1 5w20 full syn. I will be changing it to 5w30 in the near future to see if that helps at all.

I found lots of other examples of people who have experienced this with their 5.7 engines, but no follow ups have been posted either on YouTube, or in the forums detailing what the solution was if one was found.

I can’t imagine that there’s this many parole that have experienced the exact problem and not found a solution...

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution to it?

https://youtu.be/reLAa4BWgaM
There have been a ton of followups and arguments on what causes this. I personally believe it is piston slap from where the pistons are rocking in the lower part of the bore. As the engine warms up, the pistons swell and the noise goes away.

The reason you don't hear it to start with is the rpms of the motor and the extra oil flow. Combine that with the interval between the noise is lower.... its just not as noticeable.

Some believe it is valve noise.

Either way, its is considered normal. Yours does sound a little louder than mine but mine gets louder based on the range of temps outside. Seems like 40 to 60 range its louder than any other time. I run 0w-20 Quaker State in my 14. Mine has done this from the day I bought it.

I can tell you this isn't just an issue with a Toyota 5.7. There are many manufactures getting this noise in their engines and I believe its due to EPA requirements and how they address sealing the pistons and the metals they use to reduce emissions during engine warm up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don’t believe this is the piston slap people talk about. It’s not a constant noise.

This noise cycles on and off getting louder and louder the suddenly stopping for a get seconds then starting quietly again.

This sounds much more like a bearing sound or a chain noise to me. It’s not a diesel type sound at all.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
It is likely a failed/weak primary chain tensioner.
Everyone I’ve seen fail has been on the driver side.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I don’t believe this is the piston slap people talk about. It’s not a constant noise.

This noise cycles on and off getting louder and louder the suddenly stopping for a get seconds then starting quietly again.

This sounds much more like a bearing sound or a chain noise to me. It’s not a diesel type sound at all.
You said it goes away after it is warm.

Are you the original owner? Has it just started doing this?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You definitely the man when it comes to these engines. I just wouldn't think it would stop when it got warmer if it was the tensioner.

Mine has done this from the first day I bought it. I bought it in winter. Mine virtually goes away in summer.

If it is the tensioner I'd like to swap it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am the second owner of the truck. When I bought it approximately 10k miles ago, there was no sign of this noise

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If that’s the case why doesn’t the noise continue once the truck is warmed up? Why isnt it it present on startup? I would also think it would be happening all the time.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You definitely the man when it comes to these engines. I just wouldn't think it would stop when it got warmer if it was the tensioner.

Mine has done this from the first day I bought it. I bought it in winter. Mine virtually goes away in summer.

If it is the tensioner I'd like to swap it out. Thanks!

I bought mine when it was 60+ degrees out and didn’t see any sign of it. It only appeared ( to my knowledge ) once the temps got colder.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bought mine when it was 60+ degrees out and didn’t see any sign of it. It only appeared ( to my knowledge ) once the temps got colder.
Which is basically what mine does. In the summer I hardly every hear it.

I very seldom hear it now. I use a remote starter to warm mine up in winter. Its usually warm when I get in it anymore. I sometimes notice it if I jump in and drive to local fast food place which is about 5 to 10 mins away without first warming it up. Idling in line next to the wall it is annoying. I've got almost 70,000 miles on it now and its done it from the beginning for me.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
The tensioners are oil fed and oil viscosity changes dramatically with temperature.
When you hear the noise, take off the two 10 mm bolts holding the oil filler neck to the valve cover, remove the neck and look inside.
If it is a bad tensioner, you will see the plunger on it moving in and out while the engine is running and you’ll see the chain slapping around.
And yes, everyone I’ve seen only make the noise when cold and at idle.
Goes away/diminishes when warm or at higher rpm/load

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tensioners are oil fed and oil viscosity changes dramatically with temperature.
When you hear the noise, take off the two 10 min bolts holding the oil filler neck to the valve cover, remove the neck and look inside.
If it is a bad tensioner, you will see the plunger on it moving in and out while the engine is running and you’ll see the chain slapping around.

Mine doesn’t really go away if I rev the motor though. I’ll have to try the oil filler neck thing. Someone said it sounded like an ac compressor pulley/clutch bearing... I’ve been meaning to pull the belt and run the motor for a brief time once the noise starts to see if it stops without the belt.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
After listening to the first video I can almost guarantee that it is a bad primary chain tensioner.
I know it is not the answer you want to hear, since it is not cheap/easy to replace, but that's just how it is sometimes :(

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
When you hear the noise, take off the two 10 mm bolts holding the oil filler neck to the valve cover, remove the neck and look inside.
Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
After listening to the first video I can almost guarantee that it is a bad primary chain tensioner.
I know it is not the answer you want to hear, since it is not cheap/easy to replace, but that's just how it is sometimes :(
Must be. Mine doesn't make that noise in that area. Mine comes from low on the engine.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Mine sounds like it’s coming from much lower down in the engine. It’s much louder through the wheel well. Isn’t the tensioner up higher in the motor?

When I made a post on one of the Facebook groups,I found a couple of people that did change the timing chain tensioner and it didn’t make any difference in the noise.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Mine sounds like it’s coming from much lower down in the engine. It’s much louder through the wheel well. Isn’t the tensioner up higher in the motor?

When I made a post on one of the Facebook groups,I found a couple of people that did change the timing chain tensioner and it didn’t make any difference in the noise.
Your second video shows how intermittent it is. Mine doesn't start and stop and I can't hear the noise that distinctly in the right front of the motor facing..... infront of the oil cap like VictorG explained.

His explanation makes sense to me and he's a Toyota tech and knows these engines. He has built plenty of them.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm on my 4th Tundra 5.7 and just changed the spark plugs (used OEM plugs) and the first startup afterwards this exact noise showed up on the cold start then went away. It has not returned since then. It's very loud compared to the normal drivetrain noise. Hoping it's not the tensioner.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts