Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about swapping my 08 oem tail lights for a set of 2010's. I've read a few threads that its a simple pnp, but one thread in another forum mentioned something about connecting the wire/harness to a plug under the truck or something, and that its a PITA doing this part of the swap. Not sure what he meant since it was just an overall discussion about the swap and not an actual DIY thread.

would like to know if the swap is just a matter of removing the bulbs from my 08 tail lights and twisting them into the 2010 tail light or is there in fact more involved than just this.

thanks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i did the same thing when i had my 08,you can use the existing harness with all the bulbs still in it,or you can crawl under the truck and unplug the harness to the light and replace everything.other than that,the lights bolt right up and look alot better than the round ones (flows with body lines better visually).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Creosote which LED tail lights would you recommend? There is so much info about these. I've seen some threads about the Hella's but didn't find any on ebay, also would the LED's be a simple pnp w/out the need to use relays or adapters?

Thanks

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
The Hellas were excellent but they have been discontinued. I have Spyder LED tails on my other truck and the fit and finish is very good. You may need resistors to prevent "fast flash" when you install LED tails because they take such small amounts of current to produce light, the flasher in your truck thinks one or more of the bulbs is burned out. Sometimes, however, you can get away without the resistors if you leave incandescent bulbs elsewhere, such as the front turn signals. These still take a lot of current and you might stay above the "fast flash" threshold.

Heh, like you would leave the front bulbs incandescent anyway. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So being that I am impatient and compulsive buyer I picked up a set of the 2010 oem tail lights on Saturday and put them on the truck. I like them and they do look good. But now I can't stop thinking about the LED tail lights instead.

Creosote thanks for the info on the Spyder lights. They have a tail light I like but looks like only the stop light is LED. I also checked out some on Ebay, and there's a set with both stop light and turn signal in LED, but its either a smoked lens, blackout lens, or clear lens w/chrome reflector. Not sure about these styles. I like the clear lens with the black reflector look.

I read in another thread from 2012, that mentioned Longo Toyota dealer carries LED tail lights so I called them today and they have the one I like with both stop light and turn signal is LED but its $350 for the pair, ouch! but its the style I do like, bummer I should have checked these out before buying the oem 2010's. Oh well who knows, if I can get them to come down on their price I might pull the trigger.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Unfortunately the majority of LED tails only have the stops as LED. Signals and backup remain incandescent. This is something I never understood. All that time and effort to design a custom assembly, and even though discrete LEDs cost nothing these days, they leave 2/3 of the lighting old school bulbs. :dunno:

Oh well, there are some pretty strong LED bulbs out there. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts