·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Hood
White Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cylinder Automotive wheel system Gas
struggled with this after market starter. After watching several YouTube videos pulling starter without removing exhaust manifold. Determined to do it that way. This starter I found out was aftermarket it was pretty big compared to the factory starter from Toyota. Cannot pull the section of exhaust pipe so I just removed the flange and bolts to the manifold pushed it over enough and clamped it. Give me enough room to struggle and get out the aftermarket starter. I could not believe the size difference I called the dealer back and make sure my starter was correct per the Vin number and the part number and Shernoff it is the correct starter much easier to put in a factory starter smaller body. Make on all my bolts my starter bolt the top one I could not believe the size difference I called the dealer back and make sure my starter was correct per the Vin number and the part number and Shernoff it is the correct starter much easier to put in a factory starter smaller body. Make sure I put grease on all my bolts my starter bolts the top one would not come loose I had to use a 600 ft.² pound impact wrench with a bolt extractor to break it loose because it just would not break free or used a torch. Tapped it with a hammer. Lots of liquid wrench. Finally it broke free. Dirty dog. I did use just like other people said probably 24 inches of extensions just to get back far enough to put my impact wrench on it. Place my jackstands and my jack in the center of the frame in the front so I had room with my creeper I would recommend if you don’t have a creeper please get one it sure does make life easier and more comfortable working on the stuff.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good job! I wouldn't have believed that starter would work either with that size difference. Truck is clean for a '10 you must not live in the rust belt... Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got my starter replaced a couple of years ago (2010 SR5 5.7 4x4). Once I heard that removal of the passenger side exhaust manifold was recommended, I decided to have it done instead of DIY (unusual for me, but I'm getting older...).

I wonder if I maybe got the same starter as you did, though. I noticed it sounded much different from the OEM starter. My neighbor mentioned that it may be a gear reduction starter. That would explain the difference in the sound (and maybe the size).

Is nice to know you can get the starter changed out without having to mess with the exhaust manifold, though. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Undo passenger side motor mount, jack up that side a few inches. At least that's how I did it..... Twas a Denso replacement purchased from Rockauto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts