Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I have a 2010 4.6 L 4x4 w/ ~ 257k mi. Love the truck, and looking to get the most out of it. What are the top 3-5 things I can do right now to show it some love, maximize gas mileage and keep it running as well as it can. It regularly tows my drift boat and small family camper. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Fluid exchange on diffs, transfer case, and transmission. A quality synthetic 75w90 for the diffs and t case, Toyota WS fluid for the trans. New plugs, a new air filter, and a coolant exchange wouldn't hurt. Grease the zerk fittings on the driveshaft while you're down there.

Replace/upgrade the shocks. Bilstein 5100's or 6112's are popular and a great boom for the buck. But I just installed some Eibach's on one of my rigs and am seriously contemplating putting them on my tundra to replace the 6112/5160 combo...

Add some airbags or a leaf spring kit to compensate for that topper, trailer, and junk in the trunk.

Don't run 85 octane that we get at higher elevations. The truck will run MUCH happier. I ran 85 for the first 100k with a few exceptions. Switched to 87 or higher and it idles better, has better of idle response and torque, but makes the same power and mileage.

A good set of tires if you don't already have them. Pick the poison that suits you best, but I've found a quality set of all terrains to yield excellent results. Michelin LTX if you don't want something aggressive; LTX/AT2, Big O At's, Cooper AT3's have all served me well. On my second set of Cooper AT3's. Went back to stock 275/65R18 after 275/70R18. With your 20" wheels, I think the stock size is 275/55r20 or thereabouts. Might be a 255 or 265 option.

After all that, the 80 MPH interstate speed limit will suck gas. But sometimes I gotta get where I'm going so I take the fuel penalty.

Enjoy the tundra!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid exchange on diffs, transfer case, and transmission. A quality synthetic 75w90 for the diffs and t case, Toyota WS fluid for the trans. New plugs, a new air filter, and a coolant exchange wouldn't hurt. Grease the zerk fittings on the driveshaft while you're down there.

Replace/upgrade the shocks. Bilstein 5100's or 6112's are popular and a great boom for the buck. But I just installed some Eibach's on one of my rigs and am seriously contemplating putting them on my tundra to replace the 6112/5160 combo...

Add some airbags or a leaf spring kit to compensate for that topper, trailer, and junk in the trunk.

Don't run 85 octane that we get at higher elevations. The truck will run MUCH happier. I ran 85 for the first 100k with a few exceptions. Switched to 87 or higher and it idles better, has better of idle response and torque, but makes the same power and mileage.

A good set of tires if you don't already have them. Pick the poison that suits you best, but I've found a quality set of all terrains to yield excellent results. Michelin LTX if you don't want something aggressive; LTX/AT2, Big O At's, Cooper AT3's have all served me well. On my second set of Cooper AT3's. Went back to stock 275/65R18 after 275/70R18. With your 20" wheels, I think the stock size is 275/55r20 or thereabouts. Might be a 255 or 265 option.

After all that, the 80 MPH interstate speed limit will suck gas. But sometimes I gotta get where I'm going so I take the fuel penalty.

Enjoy the tundra!

Enjoy the tundra!
@Blenton, You're the man! This was exactly what I needed. Cant thank you enough. Have a good summer!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.