Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax. bought it in North Dakota and has been in cold weather climate. I noticed that the undercarriage/frame has alot of rust, almost can't see any colour other than rust. Called toyota and no recalls. Can anyone help out with some info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Pretty common, I'm afraid. I don't know if ND counts as being in the rust belt, but I know NH does count. Heavy salt and/or sand usage in winter leads to corrosion. It seems that anything painted black on the undercarriage (as opposed to any sheetmetal painted body color) has the world's cheapest paint used; any nick will allow rust to start.

You can try to stop the rust from getting worse by looking into oil coating. I would not use any sort of undercoating at this stage, as any sort of rubberized covering or hardshell is going to lock in moisture and/or salt. My opinion, perhaps others think otherwise; but I think a light oil meant for the job would do better at displacing water and sealing out any air.

Sorry...

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I think the recall or TSB is Canadian only at this time. My 08 is in good shape the last time I looked. Will be replacing the hitch soon so I'll be sure to study it.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
boy, I thought the rust issues were gone with the 2007 up models?

it's still there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts